SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 23, 2014, 02:52 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,574 Posts
Hi Andy.... thanks for the input and yes; agreed their weights are very optimistic
and don't think that their weights of 11.5 lbs are attainable whether glow or electric.

In any case the extra weight should be ok as I am thinking of upping to Kero jets in the near future so the experience will be good training.
stegl is offline Find More Posts by stegl
Last edited by stegl; Oct 27, 2014 at 04:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2014, 02:38 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,733 Posts
Stegl,
It's interesting that I am making up new LG legs for my Robart retracts that look almost exactly the same as yours. I'll post some pictures when I get them done but I'm not in a hurry since the Mossy probably won't fly again until Spring, with the Winter setting in now.
parkcityskier is offline Find More Posts by parkcityskier
Old Oct 31, 2014, 07:53 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,574 Posts
The only thing I find is the 3 inch wheels look kinda small but that is what was recommended plus to go larger they are too wide. Doesn't look like this one will maiden till next spring
Old Nov 01, 2014, 08:32 AM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,733 Posts
I had some spare time so I went ahead and got one of my landing gears done. It will be interesting to see how these work out. I'm using 5" wheels, Sullivan SkyLite, and they fit right in. My retracts also have a little more travel, I think that it's 100 degrees instead of 90.
Last edited by parkcityskier; Nov 01, 2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2014, 09:29 AM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,574 Posts
100 degree is a lot as I went with what was supposed to be 95 degree and I thought that that was a lot so you have me thinking That I might just check that out today if I have time. What are you using as retracts (brand) ?

Another thing could you measure across the outside of yours when you have a minute as I would like to compare to mine. You may have to cut a lot of the bottom of the housing to get them to fit as that was a big concern of mine. I thought that a 4 inch wheel would have been better but could not find a wheel narrow enough with the tread pattern

Len
Old Nov 03, 2014, 11:43 AM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,733 Posts
Len,
I'm using Robart air up/air down retracts. These are at least 4 or 5 years old so they may not be available any more. It looks like everything is going servoless electric now days. I had to redo the gear legs from my original configuration. The nuts that I had on the top piece were conflicting with the gear mount so I just tapped the top piece for 6mm bolts, instead. I cut the heads off of the bolts and the stubs stick down into the shock absorbing legs and are held in with their set screws. I also tapped the hole for the center stub but left its nut on so that I can keep the gear leg from rotating on its stub. The spread, center to center, of the shock struts is 2 3/4". This still allows the wheel to turn freely with no binding. I had to cut a little of the bottom of the gear opening to allow for the struts to pass through but this is mainly because I have the struts racked forward a little to help prevent nose overs. The top piece of the strut passes under the nacelle skin with no problem. I haven't put on gear doors yet but I plan to do that. It looks like the 5" wheels will just barely allow the doors to close but if it becomes an issue then I can reduce the forward racking of the struts to allow the wheel to fit deeper into the wheel well. I can do this just by putting a couple of washers under the gear mount at the front holes.

The plane flys great, but is fast. Takeoffs and landings are no problem but when I tried my previous gear, just made from wire, flying off of a grass field, one of them just snapped off at the point where it enters the retract unit. I was using 4 3/4" soft sponge wheels and I think that with the plane being pretty heavy the struts just buried themselves in the grass. The new struts look to be stronger and , hopefully, the shock struts will help. The new wheels are much firmer than the old ones, too, so that should help.

Jim
Old Nov 09, 2014, 11:16 AM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,574 Posts
Yes, the drift is over to electric retracts for pretty much everything. I recall getting into a lively discussion on electric retracts in the jet forum and most users of the heavy duty retracts said air was the only way to go and boy did I get an earful ......lo and behold one of a well known jet flyer in BC, Canada sent in his air retracts for a conversion by Down and Locked and then all of a sudden everyone in the jet community took notice and all of a sudden electrics looked like the thing of the future for even those that were hard nosed air fans.

I won't say that air are no good but that they do require more maintenance and require more setup vs electric plug and play.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:09 AM
teamwork, do it my way!
Dubai, UAE
Joined Jun 2007
738 Posts
Electric retracts CAN share the same problems as air retracts and they can fail just as easily, BUT, if you put in decent quality electrics, you can eliminate MOST of the failure points. Until now, I have not used air retracts on any model, but I have used many different electric options. I have not found ANYTHING near as good quality as Electron Retracts.
I don't fly anything smaller than .60 sized planes and Electron are now the ONLY ones I will use. They are expensive, but they fit into the profile spend that I have which is:
Airframe - 25% of budget
Engine - 25% of budget
Retracts - 25% of budget
Rx, Power Distribution, Servo's etc - 25% of budget

Under these (approximate) conditions, you can buy decent kit at the higher end of the brand scale and Electrons fit into it. Budget anything less on retracts, and I am pretty sure you will get something sub-standard, in air or electric. I don't know the costs of air systems that are reliable as electric but I would expect a similar equation.

The only time I have bought 'expensive' electrics is on my mossie (Century Jet) and my P-40(Century Jet) and I have had mixed results. The Mossie ones work fine, but were NOT a drop-in replacement as advertised, they are supposedly purpose built for this plane, but are NOT. They have a lot of slop and the build quality is poor compared to electrons. They are pretty tough though.
The P-40 ones are also NOT drop-in as advertised, they have a lot of slop as a result of being 90 Deg twist units, and are also low build quality.
Not the nicest people to deal with either.

Plan to spend money on retracts, air or electric, or you will have the most frustrating situations at the field when they don't work, before OR after you have taken off. The later is usually going to result in damage.

I really need to get my mossie out of the mothballs now, weather is perfect over here and she needs air under her wings.

Glad to see there are still people interested in this thread.
Cathurga is online now Find More Posts by Cathurga
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:36 AM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,574 Posts
The replacement retracts that I got from HK are pretty nice stuff but do find that they could have beefed up the motor drive system as when you grab the gear and put a little pressure on it that it slows down substantially plus the retraction motor drive unit sticks out opposite to the gear leg. Other than that it looks pretty quality like. As in my posting 569
Old Nov 11, 2014, 03:07 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,733 Posts
I went with the Robart air retracts because when I was looking there weren't any heavy duty electrics on the market. At least not at a reasonable price. My old retract legs, that broke, were very light and retracted easily. However, when I installed my new gear legs in they were having a little trouble getting all the way up. What I had been using to pressurize thnk, the tank though, was a small bicycle pump, the kind that clips onto the bike so I found a deal on a Robart pump and tried it. What I found was that I was only putting in 40 or 50 pounds of pressure in the system with the old pump. With the Robart pump, I can put in 100 pounds but even at 80 or 90 pounds the gear now snaps right up. There is never any problem getting the gear down, which is good, but I can't be lax in checking the pressure each flight if I want to make sure that the gear gets up all the way. At least, with the electrics, they either work all the time, or they don't work all.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:54 AM
United Kingdom, England, High Wycombe
Joined Feb 2012
57 Posts
Does anyone know where I could find a set of replacement cowls for my Mosquito? The person I bought the mosquito from cut out both cowls to accommodate the IC engines however since I have converted the model to electric the holes are no longer required.

Alternatively I would also consider buying a complete kit if someone knows anywhere that has stock?
3d3dman is offline Find More Posts by 3d3dman
Old Nov 17, 2014, 09:54 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,574 Posts
Try posting in Rcuniverse , Rcgroups or RCCanada and something might pop up. They were produced by China Model Products ........or try googling CMP DH Mosquito and with a little detective work you may find something.