HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2014, 05:01 PM
England
Joined Dec 2006
164 Posts
Hi, I think the chopping boards are HDPE plastic but I am not 100% sure! it is very strong, fully waterproof and the CNC machine cuts it really well.

Plus they are 2.58 so I can afford to make the odd mistake, I also have 2mm plastic sheet with a carbon effect film on which looks really well.

I will try it with the sky surfer wing as I already have it and think it will be better size wise, it also has four lines, two for the hang points and two brake/steer lines.

I will post my progress here, it looks similar/the same as the opale model, I just don't have the money to buy an opale paramotor but I am able to build my own.
elecrta-fly is offline Find More Posts by elecrta-fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2014, 05:07 PM
England
Joined Dec 2006
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IainJStewart View Post
Oops, we've slipped out of phase slightly

That looks great Dave. I can already see how it goes together. am I right in thinking you plan on using a wing that is rigged similar to the Skysurfer one, with a pair of rear risers attached to fixed arms on the top of the gondola and the front risers attached to movable arms mounted somewhere in that row of five holes about a third down from the top? Would you have a servo for each arm an some sort of elevon mixing to allow for left, right and speed bar functions?
Yes, the front lines will connect to the top holes while the rear or brake lines connect to the servos, there is a servo at each side so that you can steer left, right and also flair/brake using elevon mixing.

The five holes are so that I can change the hanging position, in case the gondola tilts forward or backward.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 05:50 PM
Treetop Flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kenilworth
Joined Apr 2014
29 Posts
Am I reading correctly that you will steer and flair/brake by pulling on just the rear lines from the chute? I shall be interested to see how that works.

I was thinking along the lines of a steering servo connected to the front lines in a similar way to the Skysurfer, with a similar sized one, or two smaller ones on a y harness rigged to pull on the rear lines for flair/braking.

At the moment I'm trying to find something that will tell me where the original CG was for the Skysurfer gondola. I didn't bother looking before I pulled out all the original equipment and I'm sure I've got it too far back now. It's by no means unflyable, but just feels a little off in a way that suggests incorrect CG to me. I have the digital manual for Graupners skysurfer 2 (essentially the same wing and gondola, but with 2.4ghz radio, brushless power train and lipo battery as stock). It doesn't mention anything about CG in there, but I guess it is supposed to be right out of the box and so the end user shouldn't need to know where to put it.
IainJStewart is online now Find More Posts by IainJStewart
Old Nov 24, 2014, 06:12 PM
England
Joined Dec 2006
164 Posts
Quote:
Am I reading correctly that you will steer and flair/brake by pulling on just the rear lines from the chute? I shall be interested to see how that works.

I was thinking along the lines of a steering servo connected to the front lines in a similar way to the Skysurfer, with a similar sized one, or two smaller ones on a y harness rigged to pull on the rear lines for flair/braking.

At the moment I'm trying to find something that will tell me where the original CG was for the Skysurfer gondola. I didn't bother looking before I pulled out all the original equipment and I'm sure I've got it too far back now. It's by no means unflyable, but just feels a little off in a way that suggests incorrect CG to me. I have the digital manual for Graupners skysurfer 2 (essentially the same wing and gondola, but with 2.4ghz radio, brushless power train and lipo battery as stock). It doesn't mention anything about CG in there, but I guess it is supposed to be right out of the box and so the end user shouldn't need to know where to put it.

Yes, I have a full size Paraglider and they work the same way, the wing attaches to my harness and by pulling on the left brake line you turn left and visa versa for the right, if you pull on both brake lines at the same time it flairs/stalls the wing.

I have binned my skysurfer as it was beyond repair, but with fixed wing aircraft I'm sure you need it to be nose heavy but I wouldn't know how you go about it with the skysurfer!!
Old Dec 01, 2014, 03:53 PM
England
Joined Dec 2006
164 Posts
Hi Iain,

This is the design so far

Dave
Old Dec 01, 2014, 05:40 PM
Treetop Flyer
Joined Apr 2014
29 Posts
Thats looking good Dave. I've just found some snake tube I didn't know I had, so I can get the second of my two sky surfer wings operational, then I will start on my own design for a pilot/gondola rig. Pictures to follow when I have something to show.
Old Dec 03, 2014, 02:39 PM
England
Joined Dec 2006
164 Posts
Quote:
Thats looking good Dave. I've just found some snake tube I didn't know I had, so I can get the second of my two sky surfer wings operational, then I will start on my own design for a pilot/gondola rig. Pictures to follow when I have something to show.
Thanks, should have one cut out by next week so will post a picture, think I've got all the electrics so will post a pic of the gondola with and without electrics.

Dave
Old Dec 08, 2014, 05:41 PM
England
Joined Dec 2006
164 Posts
This is the first gondola I've cut out but didn't get it quite right on the board so will alter the drawing and cut another one out tomorrow.
Old Dec 09, 2014, 03:35 AM
Treetop Flyer
Joined Apr 2014
29 Posts
That looks nice. What does it weigh as is? What thickness of chopping board did you use?

I've not done much with my ideas so far. I've got to finish painting the hall and put some wall paper up before my folks arrive for Christmas. :-)
Old Dec 09, 2014, 08:05 AM
Joined Feb 2007
205 Posts
Dave

Nice work.

Jack Z.
videokahuna is offline Find More Posts by videokahuna
Old Dec 09, 2014, 11:34 AM
England
Joined Dec 2006
164 Posts
Quote:
That looks nice. What does it weigh as is? What thickness of chopping board did you use?

I've not done much with my ideas so far. I've got to finish painting the hall and put some wall paper up before my folks arrive for Christmas. :-)
I only mess when I have the time.

Weight as is, 90 grams using 5mm thick board.

I might make a larger one which will be the same size as the sky surfer.

I'll try this small one with the sky surfer canopy but think an opale canopy would look better.
Old Dec 09, 2014, 11:35 AM
England
Joined Dec 2006
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by videokahuna View Post
Dave

Nice work.

Jack Z.
Thanks jack

It's getting there.

Dave
Old Dec 10, 2014, 03:16 PM
England
Joined Dec 2006
164 Posts
Just got the protector ring , need an 8mm connector then I can add the electrics.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 03:23 PM
Treetop Flyer
Joined Apr 2014
29 Posts
Thats looking nice Dave. What is the motor/prop combo you are using? What battery are you planning to put in?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 03:41 PM
England
Joined Dec 2006
164 Posts
Quote:
Thats looking nice Dave. What is the motor/prop combo you are using? What battery are you planning to put in?
Thanks, not sure of the motor, I got it to convert the sky surfer to brushless, it's got an 18amp esc spinning a 7035 GWS slo fly prop with a 3cell 11.1v 850mah lipo pack.