Old May 23, 2013, 04:26 PM
SUPERBIKER
Belgium - Antwerpen -2070 zwijndrecht
Joined Mar 2005
103 Posts
New Product
Lightscale steeringdamper

Hello,

I have here that new Lightscale steeringdamper......and tested.

Overall impression, nice steeringdamper, fine design, superb finishing, top quality.
Internal 2 springs (same as on NF X260) some shims, O rings and teflon seals.
Came with softest springs (1.5 kg) and I also ordered that optional set of extra springs. from 1.5 to 6 kg.
For the rest, I noticed immediately, even with the softest springs, the damper feels very stiffy , it need some pression by hand for in/out action.

Test on a Ttiger elec Duc (updated bike), this i a rather heavy metal bike.
Feels good on steering but the slow speed stability is more tricky, this because the softest springs are still on the "hard" side for this bike. I removed the 2 upper shims inside the damper and the bike feels some better on the low speed side, but some softer springs are welcome.
Unfortunately, the bike feels good and neutral beginning from 30% speed.

Test on a NF elektro bike. Big suprise, because the lighter weight, geometry, etc, with the standard (softest) springs, almost impossible to drive, falling continuous from the left to the right skid. Reduced steering Tx to 40% travel way and between 40 to 50% expo, bike was acceptable to drive but from the moment the speeds drops, unstable. One reason here, to heavy springs. Also here I removed again the upper shims and this give a much better result, but still very sensitive steering, not for "lovers" of low speed driving.

I find here some softer springs by myself and replaced them by the standard factory springs. Now my NF bike changed superior. What a feeling, what a neutral driving, no further comments, this lightscale steering damper is top, the best at the market at this moment but please: LIGHTSCALE MAKE SOME SOFTER SRPINGS.

Of course, this damper is designed and made of the "JABBER" Team and especially made in relation for that jabber bike. Best possible that the damper springs and optional spring set are perfect working here on the JABBER. Geometry, front for angles, weights, etc......this all is very important in relation with a steering damper. This damper is made as a competition level part and their is speed needed.

I did tests on a total other rc bike. So, this lightscale steering damper is superb, with the standard springs and TX (curves, expo, travel) you will be very satisfied. On some other bikes and especially for the low speed rc bikers, you need replace the damper springs by some softer onces.

For the rest I'm very pleased with the simple and fast maintenance on this damper, you can unscrew them on the upper and lower side, no difficult Circlips as on that NF x260. O ring replacement is very simple, same for replacement of the springs , shims, etc....

Would I buy it again, certainly yes.
Because I'm overseas, Europe, i bought it in a German Rc bike shop, price: a 100 usd with optional springs.
superbiker is offline Find More Posts by superbiker
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2013, 06:14 PM
Joined Jan 2012
377 Posts
@superbiker,

Many thanks for that very detailed and constuctive critcal post and off course thanks for your compliments.

If you give us an idea of how much softer the softest springs should be, we could easlily do them and offer them as standard or optional part.
Clark Wohlert is online now Find More Posts by Clark Wohlert
Old May 24, 2013, 04:11 AM
Australia, QLD, Landsborough
Joined Aug 2012
105 Posts
100 usd it would want to work well
Is it gold plated or something
For that sort of money it should come with the option springs
0i8u2 is offline Find More Posts by 0i8u2
Old May 24, 2013, 05:28 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0i8u2 View Post
Superbiker said that the price is INCLUDING the optional springs.
The pricing in Europe is appox. EUR77,90 (damper + option springs)
edi.winter is offline Find More Posts by edi.winter
Old May 24, 2013, 05:55 AM
SUPERBIKER
Joined Mar 2005
103 Posts
Quote:
Hello,

....option springs are included.

Not overpriced, correct price for correct made Euro product.

If you must see what a lot of cheaper unusable or not perfect working items that I have here, spring systems, damper units, separate dampers, etc...that is just expensive.

this is the first time that I run within 5 minutes with a new steering damper system, without "mess" up before some hours or days.

Just, for the no-competition boys, some softer springs, that's all.
Old May 24, 2013, 06:01 AM
SUPERBIKER
Joined Mar 2005
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Wohlert View Post
@superbiker,

Many thanks for that very detailed and constuctive critcal post and off course thanks for your compliments.

If you give us an idea of how much softer the softest springs should be, we could easlily do them and offer them as standard or optional part.
hello Clark,

.....just send you a PM abouth that softer springs.

Is it really necessary to use damper oil in that steeringdamper?? During my tests I needs to open the damper so many times in relation with spring replacements, that i let away that damper oil in this stage to avoid a "messy" situation.
Old May 24, 2013, 06:15 AM
SUPERBIKER
Joined Mar 2005
103 Posts
udpdate:

In my test that value of 1.5kg to 6kg springs isn't correct. Springs values are from 2.3 kg to 5.1kg.
Old May 24, 2013, 06:28 AM
Joined Aug 2012
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edi.winter View Post
Superbiker said that the price is INCLUDING the optional springs.
The pricing in Europe is appox. EUR77,90 (damper + option springs)
Sorry my bad miss read
77.90 euro 101 usd plus postage
Things like this make KP bikes and parts look pretty sweet

Don't get the wrong idea not bagging the product
Just can't see the value
Old May 24, 2013, 10:44 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
662 Posts
..it's a race product.

If it works, it's worth the money.

If it's cheap, but doesn't work, it's useless.

I prefer things that work
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old May 24, 2013, 05:26 PM
Joined Aug 2012
105 Posts
That pretty funny race product.
It was Edi himself not long ago on here,
Stated a well balanced bike doesn't need a damper.
He argued the point to where he would comment in the thread anymore.
So its very amusing to see him not only design one but fit it to his bike.
Superbiker could have saved 70 euro and fitted a couple of $2 springs and a pushrod,
to accomplish what he wanted. A steering damper isn't doing anything at slow speeds.
@ Gartenzwerg do you have one ?
Old May 25, 2013, 04:13 AM
SUPERBIKER
Joined Mar 2005
103 Posts
Quote:
Superbiker could have saved 70 euro and fitted a couple of $2 springs and a pushrod,
to accomplish what he wanted. A steering damper isn't doing anything at slow speeds.
Hello,

I just bought this item because i was "mess" up with that NF X260's. Many times, when I received a X260, it was not working, O rings are damaged, same for that plastic under seal ring, C - clips was missing, otherwise O rings - Clips - seal ring, all was coming out of the damper house after some runs, etc.... .

So, I look forward to try a lightscale steeringdamper. For me, this is a much better one , but I need really softer springs, otherwise I will see what I do next time.

Yes, I have tried that spring system, many times, in all ways and colors, indeed fine for slow speed driving, but by myself it was not working in all the ranges, low speed-midspeed-highspeed. Really, I tried all here, even with and without a optional damper, etc.
I find that a steering damper as suscribed here and X260's style will more cover this in one unit. But that's My experience.

In anyway, I believe many are satisfied with steering springs, maybe I have given it not enough time and patience for set up.

Oh,something total others here, I see the sun is shining now here after months of rain, I take now one of my 1:1 Ducati SPS Superbikes for a full day run, this bike has also a steering damper but one that works on all speeds, especially on full speed and lean angles
Old May 25, 2013, 04:50 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,115 Posts
Quote:
so first: it is true a well done bike doesnt need a damper.
I still think so. The jabber doesnt need THE DAMPER .
i made a enclosed housing to protect the springs. there are
quite a few points that need to be thought about when it
comes to steering on a bike. I could talk about all the pros
and cons and whys and whats.
Lets just stay like this, you dont need to buy one noone is
forcing you. If a lot think like you it will disapear from the market
anyway. You then do not need to care and talk about it anymore
edi.winter is offline Find More Posts by edi.winter
Old May 25, 2013, 07:16 AM
Joined Aug 2012
105 Posts
Lets just stay like this, you dont need to buy one noone is
forcing you. If a lot think like you it will disapear from the market
anyway. You then do not need to care and talk about it anymore [/QUOTE]

No one wants to see you fail, you do great things for the hobby.
You could price things a bit lower and make your money back over time.
Instead of trying to do it overnight and turning new bikers off in the process.

I'm not directing these comment directly at you it goes for all rc bike manufactures.
Old May 25, 2013, 12:11 PM
Germany, RP, Nierstein
Joined Jun 2011
165 Posts
It is allways the same. I have been spending like 500€ over the past 2 years for different type of brushless motors. If I would have bought a Lehner from the beginning, I am sure I would not have replaced it. I am still no owner of a Lehner, but coming closer to buy one ;-)

So what am I saying... you can spend money again and again, or you buy the right things from the beginning.
This is the same for ESCs, Servos, RX&TX and for steering dampers.
Bastelpeter is offline Find More Posts by Bastelpeter
Old May 27, 2013, 05:26 AM
Joined Jan 2012
377 Posts
hi all,

i have been reading this thread for some view days now and am really happy about your postings.

yes we will do softer springs and thanks again for the constructive hint. in fact edi winter has developed this steering damper for the jabber bike. this makes it a pure racing product.
we are happy that it fits other bikes as well and people like it. so off course we now seriously care about any feedback and adopt those to make the damper work better also for other bikes than the jabber.

those who feel it is a to expensive product might just not buy it and be happy with whatever steering dapmer or other solutions. we are happy with that but we must admit that serious development and made in germany products have teir price. we simply cannot produce at asian level (not saying thay necessarily supply bad qulaity) and we have to run our company on european based tax and cost rates.

if we do not urn money with our product, we cannot develop the next part for you. so we did with all past lightscale items. the are developed to secure our surviving in small markets and guarantee for the next product.
Clark Wohlert is online now Find More Posts by Clark Wohlert