SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 14, 2013, 01:44 AM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
585 Posts
Discussion
2 metre speedwing.

Started this 'wing tonight, it will be a 1 piece 2 metre bagged carbon surface with carbon capped spars.

The cores were CNC wire cut by my building and flying buddy Dale and they came out great. The 'wing uses a modded MH-64 at 26 degrees sweep, -1 degree anhedral and transitional washout of 1.5 degrees. Power will be a HET Typhoon but not sure which yet.

I'm going to build a plywood bagging bench using the plan form of the 'wing including anhedral...lots to do.

I'll post photo's as I go if anyone is interested.

Tony

PS, the name of my 'wing 'Sebess' is a shortened form of 'velocity' in Hungarian and when anglicized is pronounced Shebess.
T.D. is offline Find More Posts by T.D.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2013, 03:08 AM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
Interesting!Is the airfoil constant along the span?

Quote:
I'll post photo's as I go if anyone is interested.
Sure

Andrés
andrecillo76 is offline Find More Posts by andrecillo76
Old Mar 14, 2013, 03:23 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,376 Posts
More I hate the stuff
Winglets at the tips?
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:40 AM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,873 Posts
That is a tiny amount of wing twist.....This thing IS going to be fast. With that speed and wing sweep, you can't have too much carbon. One piece wing solves a lot of problems.

A "plywood bagging bench"? I can't imagine what that would be.

Looks like a cool project Tony. Keep us posted.

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sw-11
Old Mar 14, 2013, 06:01 PM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
585 Posts
Started laying out the tow for the main spar caps, it starts at 4mm in the centre and transitions to 2.5 at the tip...I'm using a derivative of the spar set up in this article from B2 Streamlines:

http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/OTW/o...uppression.pdf

To achieve the rounding of the spar caps I'll route a channel in the back side of the bagging bench and bag the caps up in there with a squishy plastic plug on top so they will also have the anhedral.

Andrés, the tip section is the MH-64 thickened slightly and lightly blunted at the leading edge...I've had luck with this set up in the past so IMO no sense in changing what works.

Stu, yup tip mounted winglets which will have their main mounting location tied into the end of the spar but most of their mass behind the spar. Did a little modeling on this and it 'might' work out okay.

Kent, I'm hoping for 200+ KPH but who knows? I'll post photo's of the bench set up, it's really simple and makes for an easy/accurate lay up and bagging.

T.D.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:06 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,376 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...colibri&page=2
This may be of interest.Tow both sides of the hinge line.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:01 PM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
585 Posts
Thanks Stu, I've read that thread a few times. The spar on my 'wing will be 5 or so mm in front of the hinge line with the A-frame set up as shown in the article I linked to...but I am going to add a lighter spar at a point behind the leading edge as I want this 'wing to be as ballistic as possible.

I'd like to say I'm hunkered down over my plan right now but the truth is I'm washing tonight's dinner dishes.

Tony
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:48 AM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
585 Posts
Started the spar slots, 9mm wide with a crescent transition at the root for a constant width and tapered thickness carbon cap top and bottom with a +/- 25 degree, 3mm thick carbon cloth shear web between them. I could get away with no shear web at all but the bit of margin the web supplies is worth it IMO.

Thinking of going with 30% tip to 25% root elevons only (no flaps) on the outer 50% of the semi-span...opinions are most welcome on this idea.

T.D.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:25 AM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,873 Posts
I'm not quite clear on how you plan on adding shear to your spar. A few more piccies, when the time comes, would be helpful. I like the idea of crossing the spars and connecting them....see attached.

This looks similar the the CO5. IIRC, they used elevons that were 1/3rd the halfspan plus a similar elevator at the root. It would certainly fly with just elevons.

Looking forward to how you plan on attaching the winglets. Many different approaches there.

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knoll53; Mar 16, 2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:45 AM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
585 Posts
Kent, to achieve the shear webbing I will lay in one side of the tow spar (the top side first) then hot wire a vertical slot in the centre of the bottom spar slot that goes through the core span wise and ends at the pre bagged top tow spar then insert the pre-cured 25 degree bias carbon cloth shear web ...it makes for more work and fiddling but what the hay.

I'll post photo's when I do it...maybe a video if I can set that up.

Tonight I finished sanding the spar slots...what Vernon Hunt calls "ditches". Instead of a forward carbon tow spar I'll lay a full span 5cm root to 3cm tip wide piece of uni against the core in that area when I lay up the 'wing.

Tony
Old Mar 17, 2013, 04:16 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,376 Posts
Just wondering if you might be better with a line of tow either side of the hinge?It would add a lot of stiffness to the surfaces
Old Mar 17, 2013, 02:36 PM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
585 Posts
Good idea Stewart.

I'm going to put a 1K disser on the elevons so tying that into the span wise tow you suggest will be good.

We are finally having some sunshine here so I'm off now to do some 1/12 electric combat.

Tony
Old Mar 20, 2013, 03:22 AM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
585 Posts
Laid the carbon tow spar caps in tonight, I'll post a photo tomorrow after they come out of the hot box.

Here is a look at the slope version of the finished product, FLZ doesn't really lend itself well to plan form photos' so I laid it out in XFLR5...I like it.

T.D.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 05:29 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,376 Posts
Nice!
Old Mar 20, 2013, 03:03 PM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,904 Posts
Careful with XFLR5, it is sometimes very optimistic of how far you can bring your CoG. In my experience it happens more often with Fw than with regular planes

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea