HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2012, 05:13 PM
REAL old new guy!
United States, HI
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
Discussion
Turnigy /Spectrum

How does a Turnigy 9x compare with a Spectrum DX6i?
Dakine48 is offline Find More Posts by Dakine48
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2012, 05:42 PM
Stick, roger ball.
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Oct 2011
344 Posts
You can get a DX6i today. You'll wait four months for a turnigy 9x, but you'll save about $100.

Go to the radio forum and read up. The 9X radios are geting great reviews. They have features spektrum doesn't have. If you're a techie, it may be the right choice for you. If you like BNF models and just want a great radio and don't want to fuss with mods, pay for spektrum.

If you want to save a little cash you can also visit the classifieds. I bought a DX7 used for $150 and you can get used DX6i for about $100.
Stick_01 is offline Find More Posts by Stick_01
Old Jan 11, 2012, 03:45 AM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
The 9X may be just the ticket if you never service or support. Personally, I wouldn't buy one no matter how good they are. I want stateside service.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:37 AM
REAL old new guy!
United States, HI
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmw View Post
The 9X may be just the ticket if you never service or support. Personally, I wouldn't buy one no matter how good they are. I want stateside service.
Good point however for the price you can buy a standby!
Dakine48 is offline Find More Posts by Dakine48
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:46 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
Go right ahead. Count me out.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:54 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,818 Posts
I bought a DX7 originally and was hating buying the pricey receivers. I bought one of the regular HK radios with the cheaper receivers. It worked fine for me, but once the lower priced clone receivers came out for the Spektrum radios, I never use my HK stuff any more. A lot of folks have had good success with the HK & Turnigy stuff, but I agree with Stick.... if you're a techie and like fiddling with stuff you might like the Turnigy. Even with HK saying stuff like, "The TURNIGY 9X has been reflashed with the new v2 firmware, fixing previous menu and mixing issues. This firmware flash is only available from our TURNIGY 9X system as we flash each unit in our office before it is shipped.
Purchases of any other rebranded version of the TURNIGY 9X will not have the latest firmware and patches(even the OEM factory does not have these updates)." makes me say, HUNH??? Even though Spektrum themself is slow about acknowledging problems and issuing firmware updates, I still like my Spektrum radios. Stick is also correct that you won't be able to buy a BNF model if you choose the Turnigy unless it'll take a DSM2 module which pushes the price of the 9x up closer to the Spektrums. With all the Spektrum receiver options HK has out now, to me that makes the Spektrum a great platform. As for the "HK's shipping is too high", if you're not in a hurry and you keep your order light, that bottom shipping rate isn't that bad. I just stuck three Orange RX's in my cart and the shipping was $5.99...... you can't even get that from Tower or Horizon unless you're some kind of member, have some kind of coupon, order more than you need, etc. Also, if you decide to move up later on, kind of like a Honda or a Toyota, a DX7 will have a higher resell value than a 9X. You may as well give the 9X to a new club member to help them get started for what you'd be able to sell it for. Ok, ok, enough..... you know where *I* stand. And I'm not one of these hard-core Spektrum lovers who thinks Spektrum can do no wrong, I'm just happy with both my DX6i and my DX7. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Pat

P.S. One last thing and I'll shut up.... buddy cord is really easy to use too if you ever have a need to train someone and more likely that they'll have a Spektrum radio.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:20 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
I bought a DX7 originally and was hating buying the pricey receivers. I bought one of the regular HK radios with the cheaper receivers. It worked fine for me, but once the lower priced clone receivers came out for the Spektrum radios, I never use my HK stuff any more. A lot of folks have had good success with the HK & Turnigy stuff, but I agree with Stick.... if you're a techie and like fiddling with stuff you might like the Turnigy. Even with HK saying stuff like, "The TURNIGY 9X has been reflashed with the new v2 firmware, fixing previous menu and mixing issues. This firmware flash is only available from our TURNIGY 9X system as we flash each unit in our office before it is shipped.
Purchases of any other rebranded version of the TURNIGY 9X will not have the latest firmware and patches(even the OEM factory does not have these updates)." makes me say, HUNH??? Even though Spektrum themself is slow about acknowledging problems and issuing firmware updates, I still like my Spektrum radios. Stick is also correct that you won't be able to buy a BNF model if you choose the Turnigy unless it'll take a DSM2 module which pushes the price of the 9x up closer to the Spektrums. With all the Spektrum receiver options HK has out now, to me that makes the Spektrum a great platform. As for the "HK's shipping is too high", if you're not in a hurry and you keep your order light, that bottom shipping rate isn't that bad. I just stuck three Orange RX's in my cart and the shipping was $5.99...... you can't even get that from Tower or Horizon unless you're some kind of member, have some kind of coupon, order more than you need, etc. Also, if you decide to move up later on, kind of like a Honda or a Toyota, a DX7 will have a higher resell value than a 9X. You may as well give the 9X to a new club member to help them get started for what you'd be able to sell it for. Ok, ok, enough..... you know where *I* stand. And I'm not one of these hard-core Spektrum lovers who thinks Spektrum can do no wrong, I'm just happy with both my DX6i and my DX7. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Pat

P.S. One last thing and I'll shut up.... buddy cord is really easy to use too if you ever have a need to train someone and more likely that they'll have a Spektrum radio.
The Hobby King statement about better flash software is questionable and no-one so far has shown or highlighted the differences of HK's firmware and factories. I run the FlySky yahoo group and this was one of my first quests to find out the facts about this. More than a year on and still no answer.

The 9x is a radio with facilities that far outstrip a DX6i ... but agreed you have to accept that if it goes wrong - you are on your own. We have people in the group who can help - have even repaired 9X's themselves .. you can get replacement parts but support is very poor.

Me ? I fly with FrSky module in the FlySky 9x and have nothing but good results.
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:38 PM
Joined Oct 2011
412 Posts
Interesting comparison. I have a DX6i and love it...but have a 9X otw (took about 3 weeks to fill the order). Unless you have a QC lemon (always possible) the X9 has superior range and features (especially with the available firmware and FrSky with telemetry).
TxToast is offline Find More Posts by TxToast
Old Jan 13, 2012, 03:42 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxToast View Post
Interesting comparison. I have a DX6i and love it...but have a 9X otw (took about 3 weeks to fill the order). Unless you have a QC lemon (always possible) the X9 has superior range and features (especially with the available firmware and FrSky with telemetry).
I think both are comparable on range - given full range Rx's .... so I think that a questionable point.
On matter of features - that is true ... the 9X is a true Heli / Aero facility rich system. Whether factory or reflashec firmware - the possibilities are astounding for such a budget radio. I hate the word cheap !! The only trouble is many find the menu system confusing ..... I admit that even after more than a year with mine - I forget odd quirks with it !

But I have no reservation to use it in large or small models. I have proven gear on the bench and it works.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Oct 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I think both are comparable on range - given full range Rx's .... so I think that a questionable point.
On matter of features - that is true ... the 9X is a true Heli / Aero facility rich system. Whether factory or reflashec firmware - the possibilities are astounding for such a budget radio. I hate the word cheap !! The only trouble is many find the menu system confusing ..... I admit that even after more than a year with mine - I forget odd quirks with it !

But I have no reservation to use it in large or small models. I have proven gear on the bench and it works.
As a general rule the FPV guys feel that spektrum has the worst reliability (with regard to range) of any of the 2.4 Tx. I know the FrSky setup has got reliable range beyond 1 km which is beyond LOS for most of us. I've never had an issue with my DX6i but for FPV I'll use my old 72 JR or the X9 instead...
TxToast is offline Find More Posts by TxToast
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:45 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,818 Posts
I didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with the Turnigy's quality wise. I quoted HK because to me it looked like you could get a different config from different places and you might spend more time fiddling with your radio than flying. The main complaint I've seen about Turnigy or any of the other HK (or whoever else sells them) is the beginners who complain that they didn't get a manual with their radio and don't know what to do. LOL
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:56 PM
United States, MN, Chaska
Joined Sep 2011
526 Posts
Turnigy 9x is on backorder at hk. However if you order it you will receive it in just over 30 days not 4 months. I ordered mine on 12/16/11 and it's in transit as we speak.
I am willing to try it and if I decide and if for some reason I can't do rc planes, helis anymore I am only out 40 bucks.
As for range there is a frsky mod that extends the range for quite a bit and yes most people are just too lazy to read the manual and quick to cry foul without first reading the darn manual.
drcigg is offline Find More Posts by drcigg
Old Jan 14, 2012, 03:44 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
I didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with the Turnigy's quality wise. I quoted HK because to me it looked like you could get a different config from different places and you might spend more time fiddling with your radio than flying. The main complaint I've seen about Turnigy or any of the other HK (or whoever else sells them) is the beginners who complain that they didn't get a manual with their radio and don't know what to do. LOL
I agree that lack of manual is not good ...

I run the FlySky yahoo group and we have the chinglish crazy manuals as well as the best English translation that actually makes sense !!

I tried giving a link on HK for us - but it didn't work ...

The 9X is pretty well the same what ever brand label you get, except that Turnigy have hard wired the Tx Module in so that stub antena is mounted where the old FM antena was. To replace the module means sorting out that wire. All other labeled brands includ8ing the original factory FlySky do not hard wire the module as they leave the Fm antena in place - making it possible to fit a FM module if you wish....
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:45 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,173 Posts
You can download the manual under FILES on the Turnigy 9X page at HK
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:05 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
You can download the manual under FILES on the Turnigy 9X page at HK
Must have fixed the upload ! When I uploaded the good manual - it failed.

Mmmmmmm - actually still the old crappy manuals ...

Join FlySky group and benefit from a better translation manual etc.
Last edited by solentlife; Jan 14, 2012 at 10:12 AM.