HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:27 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor Charter Township
Joined Mar 2012
1,168 Posts
Cool thought! I take my mqx up to 200 feet or so regularly when it's not windy :-)
N8LBV is offline Find More Posts by N8LBV
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:01 AM
Ireland, Co. Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2012
316 Posts
Just got an mQx on the weekend and it's a fun little machine. I have heli experience so very easy to pickup from there, it's only slightly different.

One observation, when I bound it to my DX8 it came up with the telemetry icon on the LCD. Excitedly I scrolled through the telemetry screens to see if there was any read out but it only showed null values.

It's amazing how much technology they packed in to the mQx pcb but if they added telemetry also it would be super cool!

Anyone else seeing the same?
Quandry is offline Find More Posts by Quandry
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:26 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,543 Posts
mQX gearbox protection

New mQX owner chiming in here.

Has anyone given thought to some sort of gearbox protection for winter flying outdoors? The mQX would be a great winter flying machine but I have concerns about ice & snow jamming the pinion gears.

I'm seriously considering making clear plastic (PET) covers that would slip on over the gearbox/landing feet. Perhaps make them a bit taller to increase the ground clearance a bit. It wouldn't take much, a simple mold and a few minutes on the vac former.

Comments?
philipa_240sx is offline Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:32 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipa_240sx View Post
New mQX owner chiming in here.

Has anyone given thought to some sort of gearbox protection for winter flying outdoors? The mQX would be a great winter flying machine but I have concerns about ice & snow jamming the pinion gears.

I'm seriously considering making clear plastic (PET) covers that would slip on over the gearbox/landing feet. Perhaps make them a bit taller to increase the ground clearance a bit. It wouldn't take much, a simple mold and a few minutes on the vac former.

Comments?
Excellent idea! Mine even jams up now with blades of grass! Please take pics of your covers and post them!
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:34 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,323 Posts
As I was reading your post before I even got to the clear covers part that was immediately what was coming to my mind as well. Probably your best way to protect. The problem is how deep of snow are we dealing with and how packed is it? If it goes above the covers and just falls down in that won't help much either. Now if your just talking a few inches, then I think it might work. Also as long as your not crashing it then the Mia landing gear might work to give clearance. However I think the lg has effect on aerobatics.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:50 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
If it goes above the covers and just falls down in that won't help much either.
Yes, I was thinking about that. Encasing the gearbox could actually make it worse as trapped snow has no place to go.

Quote:
However I think the lg has effect on aerobatics.
Adding side area to the motor pods could affect aerobatics. That's definitely a concern.

I'll think about this some more...
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:57 AM
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipa_240sx View Post
Yes, I was thinking about that. Encasing the gearbox could actually make it worse as trapped snow has no place to go.

Adding side area to the motor pods could affect aerobatics. That's definitely a concern.

I'll think about this some more...
I'd you're looking at a landing gear mod you may want to consider the zip tie mod. This will give extra clearance for very little added weight and gives your landings a touch of bounce.

Personally I'd rather just keep it in the air though

Not landing is a real option though, take off and 'land' using your hand instead of the ground.
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:43 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,366 Posts
DX6i Settings

Anyone care to share their DX6i settngs, please?
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:45 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
Set it on ACRO... done. Did you check the manual? Everything beyond turning the radio on is personal preference, you can set expo or dual rates or both or whatever you want to do, but the basic settings are... nothing.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:48 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,323 Posts
I along with many just have it set up in acro mode and just use standard dual rates on it. However I'm sure someone will chime in with heli settings if your interested. I don't have any knowledge on that.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:49 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,323 Posts
I give up in this thread! I swear every time I post someone beats me to it while I'm typing. Thanks a lot Jasmine!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:52 PM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,312 Posts
Quote:
I set my dual rates on my DX7 at 70% and have about 25% expo. Of course when doing flips I set the d/r switch to 100%. These settings seem to work good for a quad beginner like myself. But as mentioned above, its a personal perference.
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:23 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,543 Posts
Quote:
These are the settings I use on my DX8, they will work fine for the DX6i. The low rates are good for learning. I switch between both using the ELEV rate switch

Low Rate:
DX6i: D/R & Expo = 0
DX8: SW = ELEV, Position 0
Elevator: DR = 45% / Expo = +40%
Aileron: DR = 45% / Expo = +40%
Rudder: DR = 90% / Expo = +60%

High Rate:
DX6i: D/R & Expo = 1
DX8: SW = ELEV, Position 1
Elevator: DR = 100% / Expo = +60%
Aileron: DR = 100% / Expo = +60%
Rudder: DR = 100% / Expo = +60%

DX6i: Set D/R Combi to ELEV for easy low/high rate switching.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:21 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,323 Posts
Why in the world do they not sell the blades in packets of 1 cw and 1ccw? It doesn't make sense. When you buy it, it comes with one whole set to replace each blade, but in order to replace each blade after that you have to purchase four packs of blades. 1 set black cw, 1set black ccw, 1 set white cw and 1 set white ccw. I know when you do you also end up with another extra of each, but I just don't understand why they aren't selling them in the correct sets for x setup which is how it comes and what I believe probably 95% are running it in. weird.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined Jan 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
Why in the world do they not sell the blades in packets of 1 cw and 1ccw? It doesn't make sense. When you buy it, it comes with one whole set to replace each blade, but in order to replace each blade after that you have to purchase four packs of blades. 1 set black cw, 1set black ccw, 1 set white cw and 1 set white ccw. I know when you do you also end up with another extra of each, but I just don't understand why they aren't selling them in the correct sets for x setup which is how it comes and what I believe probably 95% are running it in. weird.

+1- noticed the same thing when trying to pick up pair of orange blades.. now I have four orange blades.. only wanted two.. one CW and one CCW.
pdwire is offline Find More Posts by pdwire