Closed Thread
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:06 AM
Wow, the sky is clear
Canada, QC, Chicoutimi
Joined Aug 2012
698 Posts
OEM charger

Hello
I encountered another problem this weekend. I sent you if it can help someone. I have 2 x DH9116 and DH9100 So I have 3 chargers OEM. I have been really missing DH9116 power. I change the main motor, same problem, no power. I swaped chargers and the problem is solved. Problem finding, broken solder on 3 pins in charger ..... The green LED OFF fell often ...
Like I said in a thread before, a soldering iron is almost essential with the DH9116 ................... -

See 3 pins face to the red arrow ( Photo )

Gilles
OrangeBird is offline Find More Posts by OrangeBird
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OrangeBird; Oct 22, 2012 at 10:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:53 PM
Too Old To Die:
United States, TX, Call
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Ha, Mikefromgermany. Just want to elaborate on what some other guy's have already said.
And that is what you have done for the 9116 thread is very much appreciated. what you have done helped make this bird more of a learning tool. Double Horse should be sending you royalty's For you are truly the 9116 guru.
OldSpool is offline Find More Posts by OldSpool
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:33 PM
Zambia, Lusaka
Joined Aug 2012
49 Posts
Tail Motor Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
Just a quick heads-up to those of you looking to upgrade the main motor. I received my new PCB yesterday and was able to install it along with a new tail motor and an Xtreme Pro 180 main motor. I trimmed the main blades a bit in an attempt to increase the head rpm as I understand this motor likes that. Still have to test with the stock blades, but with the shorter blades everything seems fine. Tail holds no problem. Once the blades are spinning I can punch it and it goes straight up, no rotation at all. I'm currently using the stock 650mah li-ion battery, but once I have it all squared away I'll be getting a 1000mah 25c lipo for it.
Hi Guys,

I read a lot about the regular replacements of blown or soft tail motors and having replaced 6 on my 9116 i finally decided to tinker with a few options. What I've found is that the best upgrade is the direct drive motor for a Honey Bee CP3. I've attached a few photo's of the mod and after several test flights I'm really happy with the results. I even had to dial in a bit of rudder expo into the transmitter as the response from the tail was little to quick. At around $5.80 i think its a worth while mod. The CP3 uses a 3S lipo so after a flight with a full battery the motor is just warm.

I removed the standard motor, cut away the plastic gear and its housing and the new motor fitted right in, soldered on the wires after checking rotation. I did have to add a little weight to the nose of the canopy to get the COG right, and have not noticed a drop in performance due to the extra weight.

I have been flying this mod for a few weeks now as i didn't want to pass on any bad info. See the following for the spares required to do the upgrade (http://www.rc711.com/shop/tail-motor...ath=166_22_156 and http://www.rc711.com/shop/tail-blade...ath=166_22_156)

Enjoy
Zamjustice is online now Find More Posts by Zamjustice
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:55 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamjustice View Post
Hi Guys,

I read a lot about the regular replacements of blown or soft tail motors and having replaced 6 on my 9116 i finally decided to tinker with a few options. What I've found is that the best upgrade is the direct drive motor for a Honey Bee CP3. I've attached a few photo's of the mod and after several test flights I'm really happy with the results. I even had to dial in a bit of rudder expo into the transmitter as the response from the tail was little to quick. At around $5.80 i think its a worth while mod. The CP3 uses a 3S lipo so after a flight with a full battery the motor is just warm.

I removed the standard motor, cut away the plastic gear and its housing and the new motor fitted right in, soldered on the wires after checking rotation. I did have to add a little weight to the nose of the canopy to get the COG right, and have not noticed a drop in performance due to the extra weight.

I have been flying this mod for a few weeks now as i didn't want to pass on any bad info. See the following for the spares required to do the upgrade (http://www.rc711.com/shop/tail-motor...ath=166_22_156 and http://www.rc711.com/shop/tail-blade...ath=166_22_156)

Enjoy
Thanks for sharing this info - ordered these parts to have a second test result
-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:32 PM
Canada, BC, New Westminster
Joined Feb 2012
188 Posts
Thanks for passing this information on - I just ordered this as well!
Mdigiovabc is offline Find More Posts by Mdigiovabc
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:20 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Sep 2012
85 Posts
After I blow through my spare stock motor, I think I may just try this as well!

Thanks for sharing!
HuskySpade is offline Find More Posts by HuskySpade
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:03 PM
Joined Jan 2012
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBird View Post
Hello
I encountered another problem this weekend. I sent you if it can help someone. I have 2 x DH9116 and DH9100 So I have 3 chargers OEM. I have been really missing DH9116 power. I change the main motor, same problem, no power. I swaped chargers and the problem is solved. Problem finding, broken solder on 3 pins in charger ..... The green LED OFF fell often ...
Like I said in a thread before, a soldering iron is almost essential with the DH9116 ................... -

See 3 pins face to the red arrow ( Photo )

Gilles
Yes ,you are correct but considering the $ and the time involved in troubleshooting a bunch of cheaply made oem chargers and also figuring eventually you new pilots will probably end up having multiple helis with different types of batteries I would suggest you invest in a quality multi charger with storage modes and balancing modes a quality one does not have to be $$$$$ check this thread for many suggestions.Again yes I agree with all of your post but mostimportantly is a quality soldering kitwhich are fairly inexpensive (and will eventually be your best friend) Steve 'Helicrack doesnt kill it only pisses off the wife'
roadglidec is offline Find More Posts by roadglidec
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:02 AM
Too Old To Die:
United States, TX, Call
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Good morning fellow pilots. Question! Got home from work this morning, went out to fly my 9116. Flight last one min. First motor last three months, started doing the one min flight. And testing battery at 8.4v. I replaced the motor with a stock one.
6 min flights returned. my question is, has any of you had a motor go out after just 24 flights? This is my first replacement motor. This time i will order more than one.
surprisingly it Still has the original tail motor. Got an extra one in the hanger waiting to be used. But anyway, i just want to know can a main motor go out after just 24 flight, Was installed Oct 10th. Thanks for any response
OldSpool is offline Find More Posts by OldSpool
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:13 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSpool View Post
Good morning fellow pilots. Question! Got home from work this morning, went out to fly my 9116. Flight last one min. First motor last three months, started doing the one min flight. And testing battery at 8.4v. I replaced the motor with a stock one.
6 min flights returned. my question is, has any of you had a motor go out after just 24 flights? This is my first replacement motor. This time i will order more than one.
surprisingly it Still has the original tail motor. Got an extra one in the hanger waiting to be used. But anyway, i just want to know can a main motor go out after just 24 flight, Was installed Oct 10th. Thanks for any response
If you hover a lot or flying this bird hard you stress the motor and then are 25 flights before they burn out not a hell of a lot. They should last for about 50 flights if stressed.
These motors are so cheap made and are driven with a considerable higher voltage than meant to. It seems that the QC has decreased to almost nothing with this bird also, so maybe you got a "not soo good" one this time.
I had motors that lasted only for 25-30 flights, too. (in numbers: 2 of 13 exchanged yet)
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mikefromgermany; Oct 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: wrong numbers
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
9116 Upgrades

Hey my fellow HeliManiacs!
I love this thread about the 9116. I wanted to touch on the upgrades. Yes with the 180 pro motor you will encounter way too much torque for the stock tail motor. We over at HRS love the 9116 and built a whole upgrade kit for her. It has the 180 pro and an 800mAh 20C 7.4 lipo and to solve the problem we have come up with an awesome custom tail motor. Check it out at http://www.rchelicopterrepairservice.com/Upgrades.html
The whole set up runs about $45 or you can get any piece by themselves.
skullywack is offline Find More Posts by skullywack
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:12 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullywack View Post
Hey my fellow HeliManiacs!
I love this thread about the 9116. I wanted to touch on the upgrades. Yes with the 180 pro motor you will encounter way too much torque for the stock tail motor. We over at HRS love the 9116 and built a whole upgrade kit for her. It has the 180 pro and an 800mAh 20C 7.4 lipo and to solve the problem we have come up with an awesome custom tail motor. Check it out at http://www.rchelicopterrepairservice.com/Upgrades.html
The whole set up runs about $45 or you can get any piece by themselves.
Can't you read?
Why are you spamming multiple 9116 threads with a 3-4 times overpriced - "nobody needs it" - product searching for fools with more money than brain.
Please stop spamming like directsource4U - Offer it in the right category "Classifieds" ONCE and wait for some dumbasses who will buy your rubbish.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1750532
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1565294
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1750532
regards
-mike-
who really wants to whack this skull to reason
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mikefromgermany; Oct 26, 2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:34 PM
Wow, the sky is clear
Canada, QC, Chicoutimi
Joined Aug 2012
698 Posts
Rechargeable Battery for TX DH9116 ( Nickel-cadmium )

Hi
This thread is for those who are not afraid of changes and if possible with a soldering iron. I have 2 x DH9116 and 1 x DH9100 converted into 4 channels. So I have 2 TX and I did an experiment with a TX to make rechargable batteries inside to sub standard batteries. So I send you a photo (3.5 MM plug) male and female + 9 VDC tranfo.

1.2V X 6 AA nickel-cadmium battery ( 7.2V 600mAh )

Works perfectly

At this moment, my three birds are ready to fly..................

Bye Gilles
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OrangeBird; Nov 11, 2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:41 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,610 Posts
Quote:
Hi
This thread is for those who are not afraid of changes and if possible with a soldering iron. I have 2 x DH9116 and 1 x DH9100 converted into 4 channels. So I have 2 TX and I did an experiment with a TX to make rechargable batteries inside to sub standard bateries. So I send you a photo (3.5 MM plug) male and female + 9 VDC tranfo.
Works perfectly

Bye Gilles
Nice done!
the 6th batt is a dummy? so you're running the TX with 6V (5*1,2V) only?
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mikefromgermany; Oct 26, 2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:36 PM
Wow, the sky is clear
Canada, QC, Chicoutimi
Joined Aug 2012
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
Nice done!
the 6th batt is a dummy? so you're running the TX with 6V (5*1,2V) only?
-mike-
Hi
No it is not a dummy, it's real, the voltage varies from 7.2V-8V and it WORK GREAT.....

The white batt are a no name batt .....not a dummy

(6*1,2V) = 7.2V to 8.2V full charge

See my other TX................

Bye Gilles
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OrangeBird; Oct 26, 2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:03 AM
Joined Jan 2012
108 Posts
Quote:
Hi
This thread is for those who are not afraid of changes and if possible with a soldering iron. I have 2 x DH9116 and 1 x DH9100 converted into 4 channels. So I have 2 TX and I did an experiment with a TX to make rechargable batteries inside to sub standard batteries. So I send you a photo (3.5 MM plug) male and female + 9 VDC tranfo.

Works perfectly

At this moment, my three birds are ready to fly..................

Bye Gilles
Cool .the 9116 TX is one of the best toy grade tx/s out there it also is a great tx for the v-911 with a few adjustments. I will probably use this mod because my dx6i willnot bind with this bird. Good stuff , Please keep on with your experiments ,I believe that you can help all of us
roadglidec is offline Find More Posts by roadglidec
Closed Thread