SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 01, 2014, 07:10 AM
Joined Aug 2013
12 Posts
Question
First FPV build: Bixler 2

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but I've been reading threads here for months. With all the information I learned, I think I'm finally ready to start my first build. I hope some of you will take the time to read my thread and say if my combination is good and I won't need anything else, or the things I'll have to change. This setup will be used to flight relatively close range FPV (under 1mile ~ 1.5km). When I'm used to flying it, I'll buy a groundstation to go long-range.

The plane I'm probably going to buy is the HK Bixler 2 (ARF). I chose the ARF model, because with that I don't have to assemble everything so I can learn how it's all put together once I get it.

The ESC I chose is the Turnigy AE-30A Brushless ESC, I chose the 30A instead of the (stock) 20A, because I think it'll be better on long term. I'm also going to use the Turnigy 3A UBEC

The battery is a Turnigy 3000mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack, I chose 30C instead of the (stock) 20C because I think that will also be better on long term. The charger I'm buying for it will be the Turnigy Accucel-6.

The Tx/Rx for the plane will be the Turnigy 9X. Do I need additional antennas for this?

That's all I think I'm going to need for the plane itself. Next up is the FPV gear.

The camera I chose is a simple Sony CCD cam with 700TVL. I chose the PAL version because that's the standard where I live.

The video Tx/Rx will be a Boscam 5.8g 200mw, but I'll be using it with these circular polarized antenna's instead of the stock linear ones. Will those be compatible? I won't buy an additional monitor/goggles because I allready have a monitor that will do the job (car tv screen)

The last thing I'll be buying (after a few months) is the HK Tiny OSD III, because I think that will come in handy when I'm flying beyond LoS.

And then my last question, do I need anything else (for example, wiring)?

I tried to make my post as structured as possible, so it'll be easier for you to answer my questions. I added an hyperlink for everything and I have underlined my specific questions.

Thanks in advance,
Joren
jorinator is offline Find More Posts by jorinator
Last edited by jorinator; Jul 01, 2014 at 01:21 PM. Reason: advice
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2014, 07:36 AM
FPV Proximity is FUN!
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
1,393 Posts
Yes the antennas and VTX/VRX are compatible. Everything else looks good but I would go with a 30amp ESC just to be safe and a larger battery. That tiny 2200mah won't get you much I recommend a 3000mah at least. I would go with this charger http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html

-Ben
fOaMmaSh87 is offline Find More Posts by fOaMmaSh87
Last edited by fOaMmaSh87; Jul 01, 2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2014, 07:43 AM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2013
273 Posts
Apart from the charger, thats a pretty good list and will get you up and flying fpv no problem.

I would look at an IMAX/Accucell charger from hobby king, far better than the one you have chosen.

Will you need anything else? Well, maybe just some minor parts/connectors etc to get it wired up but thats difficult for us to specify as most folk have an assortment of these types of bits and each installation tends to vary.

I get about 16 minutes from those battery packs on a Bixler 1.1

The sort of things that quickly come to mind are...

XT60 connectors for ESC-> Current Sensor and Current Sensor -> Battery
Bullet connectors for Motor->ESC
Silicone wire for extending any battery/esc wiring

Possibly use a separate UBEC rather than the BEC built into the ESC as a safety measure. Turnigy 3A UBEC will be fine.

Soldering iron, solder, heatshrink, glue, fibre tape, couple of spare props, battery checker,

Good luck and happy flights!

Chris
hangarspace is offline Find More Posts by hangarspace
Old Jul 01, 2014, 08:02 AM
Joined Aug 2013
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fOaMmaSh87 View Post
I would go with a 30amp ESC just to be safe and a larger battery.
I would go with this charger http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html

-Ben
Thanks, Ben, for your reply and advice, I have updated my thread with the bigger battery/ESC and the charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangarspace View Post
I would look at an IMAX/Accucell charger from hobby king.

XT60 connectors for ESC-> Current Sensor and Current Sensor -> Battery
Bullet connectors for Motor->ESC

Possibly use a separate UBEC rather than the BEC built into the ESC as a safety measure. Turnigy 3A UBEC will be fine.

Chris
Chris, thanks for your reply and advice, I have updated my thread with the new accucell charger.
Also, how many of those connectors do you think I'll need?

I have also added the UBEC to my cart, but can you explain in short what it does? I don't think I have read something about it, but I suppose it has to be put between the ESC and the transmitter?
Old Jul 01, 2014, 09:10 AM
fly it high as possible
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jun 2009
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorinator View Post
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance,
Joren
Hi there,
First of all, if you are going fly FPV Bixler2, not just empty bird, should replace
wing joiner to at least 8 mm (100% of my friends had to do it) and replace that toys'
motor to more powerfully (at least twice ). I replaced prop to 8X6, too;
had to upgrade motor place, made it a little higher for this prop.
And, It could fly 15 km away with 5 A/h 4S battery.
IL76MD is offline Find More Posts by IL76MD
Old Jul 01, 2014, 09:19 AM
Joined Aug 2013
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL76MD View Post
Hi there,
First of all, if you are going fly FPV Bixler2, not just empty bird, should replace
wing joiner to at least 8 mm (100% of my friends had to do it) and replace that toys'
motor to more powerfully (at least twice ). I replaced prop to 8X6, too;
had to upgrade motor place, made it a little higher for this prop.
And, It could fly 15 km away with 5 A/h 4S battery.
Hello,
thanks for your reply and the advice! The more powerful motor and prop will be something I'm going to do once I'm familiar with the flying. I'm going to start up slow, to make sure I don't do things I'm not capable of
I don't really understand what you said about the wing joiner, but I have read on a lot of reviews that I should make the wings permanently attached instead of removable. Will the result be the same as the thing you said?
Old Jul 01, 2014, 10:12 AM
Joined Dec 2011
138 Posts
Quote:
The video Tx/Rx will be a Boscam 5.8g 600mw ...
The last thing I'll be buying is the HK Tiny OSD III, because I think that will come in handy when I'm flying beyond LoS.

Joren, as others have said, overall your list looks good.

you may want to consider getting the boscam 200mw combo instead. its a solid performer at half the price. with good antennas it will do the distances you hope for. generally, antennas matter a lot more than tx output.

you may also want to consider passing on that osd for now. simplicity is key when you are starting out. as you gain proficiency you may want to consider skipping on a conventional OSD as those $100 can get you a complete AP system that will give you OSD, FBW, RTH and much more. granted, it takes a lot more setting up than a pre-packaged OSD but at that point you'll be ready for it.

as for misc things. definitely get some 3m extreme packing tape to strengthen leading edges and fuse bottom. eventually you'll want a soldering station, ribbon cable, dupont connectors etc etc but for the time being you should be able to get by without.
fpvwannabe is offline Find More Posts by fpvwannabe
Old Jul 01, 2014, 10:55 AM
Joined Aug 2013
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvwannabe View Post
you may want to consider getting the boscam 200mw combo instead. its a solid performer at half the price. with good antennas it will do the distances you hope for. generally, antennas matter a lot more than tx output.

you may also want to consider passing on that osd for now. simplicity is key when you are starting out.

as for misc things. definitely get some 3m extreme packing tape to strengthen leading edges and fuse bottom.
Thanks for your advice, it's veey helpfull! I'll leave the osd out for now, I just tought it'd be safer so I won't lose my plane if I get disorientated.

The 3M tape will be added as well.

I know the 200mW will be enough, but I thought I'd buy the 600mW version so I can still use it when I'm ready for 30km/20mile range. What'syou thought on that?
Old Jul 01, 2014, 11:39 AM
Joined Dec 2011
138 Posts
30km is a respectable distance. very few entering the hobby ever gets that far. they either give up due to the effort required or finds out that its funner to fly short/medium range at low altitude than starring for hours at a grainy monitor struggling to fly as slow and straight as possible to conserve energy. and those few who do make it typically go through several generations of airframes, txes etc, as countless hours of fpv flying teaches them exactly what their needs are, not including equipment destroyed in the intial semi-mandatory noob crashes.

i.e. my advice is dont buy expensive equipment that potentially would allow you to break records some day in a distant future. buy cheap equipment that works for learning and you can afford replacing when/if YOU are ready.

as for actual ranges. lots of 200mw units out there are routinely flown 5km with quailty directional antennas. i'm guessing 30km is theoretically possible with 600mw under absolutely ideal circumstances but 5.8 isnt a good choice for such ranges in the first place.
fpvwannabe is offline Find More Posts by fpvwannabe
Old Jul 01, 2014, 11:52 AM
Joined Aug 2013
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvwannabe View Post
i.e. my advice is dont buy expensive equipment that potentially would allow you to break records some day in a distant future. buy cheap equipment that works for learning and you can afford replacing when/if YOU are ready.

as for actual ranges. lots of 200mw units out there are routinely flown 5km with quailty directional antennas. i'm guessing 30km is theoretically possible with 600mw under absolutely ideal circumstances but 5.8 isnt a good choice for such ranges in the first place.
5.8ghz indeed isn't made for those ranges, I thoughr the module would be interchangeable. But your explanation made me change my mind, I'll start with the 200mW version.
Old Jul 02, 2014, 05:07 PM
fly it high as possible
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jun 2009
485 Posts
Quote:
Hello,
thanks for your reply and the advice! The more powerful motor and prop will be something I'm going to do once I'm familiar with the flying. I'm going to start up slow, to make sure I don't do things I'm not capable of
I don't really understand what you said about the wing joiner, but I have read on a lot of reviews that I should make the wings permanently attached instead of removable. Will the result be the same as the thing you said?
Yes, it's a good idea to permanently attach wings to fuse using stock joiner, BUT, I would recommend to insert inside joiner one more carbon stick and glue it. The stock joiner is very weak and could be break down very
soon w/out reinforcing.
And, w/out replacing motor and prop, you couldn't even fly in light wind (5-10 ml/h), only in calm weather.
Last edited by IL76MD; Jul 02, 2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2014, 03:19 AM
Joined Aug 2013
12 Posts
Quote:
insert inside joiner one more carbon stick and glue it.
And, w/out replacing motor and prop, you couldn't even fly in light wind (5-10 ml/h), only in calm weather.
Oh, that's what you mean, I've read something about that indeed, I'll make sure to do that, thanks

And for the motor/prop, which one do you advice? And how much would it decrease my flight time?
I chose a Turnigy 2200kV motor, will that do the job?
And for the props, which size do you advice? Or will the 7x5 be good?
Last edited by jorinator; Jul 03, 2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2014, 02:05 PM
fly it high as possible
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jun 2009
485 Posts
Quote:
Oh, that's what you mean, I've read something about that indeed, I'll make sure to do that, thanks

And for the motor/prop, which one do you advice? And how much would it decrease my flight time?
I chose a Turnigy 2200kV motor, will that do the job?
And for the props, which size do you advice? Or will the 7x5 be good?
I used that motor, but couldn't fly in the wind, even light, and had to replace by more powerful from here:
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=D1748439

prop is 8X6;
and had to upgrade motor mount of course.

Actually, I upgraded motor mount by myself, but you could get this from here,
probably it's gonna work:

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=748
Last edited by IL76MD; Jul 03, 2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2014, 02:14 PM
Joined Aug 2013
12 Posts
Quote:
I used that motor, but couldn't fly in the wind, even light, and had to replace by more powerful from here:
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=D1748439

prop is 8X6;
and had to upgrade motor mount of course.

Actually, I upgraded motor mount by myself, but you could get this from here,
probably it's gonna work:

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=748
I allready have the motor mount upgrade in my HK cart, and now I've got the props to, thanks

But the motor you say only has 1350kV, how comes it's better than the 2200kV one I linked?
Also, the one you linked can't be shipped to where I live, would this 530W 1200kV motor be a good alternative?
Or would this Turnigy 450W 1300kV be better?
Last edited by jorinator; Jul 03, 2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2014, 09:33 PM
fly it high as possible
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jun 2009
485 Posts
Quote:
I allready have the motor mount upgrade in my HK cart, and now I've got the props to, thanks

But the motor you say only has 1350kV, how comes it's better than the 2200kV one I linked?
Also, the one you linked can't be shipped to where I live, would this 530W 1200kV motor be a good alternative?
Or would this Turnigy 450W 1300kV be better?
I would take second (1300kV), cause it doesn't need prop adapter.
And prop 8X6 gives me enough power, don't need 2200 kV.