HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2014, 07:35 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,937 Posts
Discussion
Ideas to convert foam toy plane to RC plane

I saw this foam plane at Dollar Tree shop and thought I may be able to convert it into an RC plane. While I could fly planes, I've never build one before so I'd like some suggestions.

I have the following parts:

1. 3.7V 1S 250 to 350 mAh lipos
2. FlySky 6CH RX (HK-TR6A V2)

So I suppose I need the following parts:

1. ESC: Hobbyking YEP 7A?
2. Brushless motor: XK1222 -11000KV Brushless Inrunner?
3. Propellers: ???
4. Sub-micro Servos 0-5g: ???
5. Control horns: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...orn_10pcs.html
6. Wires to pull/push the control surfaces: ???

Any comments on my shopping list?

Thanks for your inputs!
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2014, 08:41 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,590 Posts
[
In my opinion that would probably be more trouble than it's worth , and more than likely the plane will end up being too heavy to fly with a 1s battery . The receiver alone weighs 13 grams and needs 5 or 6 volts to operate ( a 1s battery is 4.2 volts fully charged ) .

If you have flying experience and want to build a plane for the first time , try something like a simple delta made from one sheet of foam board from the Dollar Tree Store .

Here is one I've designed , you can make it from one sheet of DTF if you don't add the KFm doubler , and you can get all the electronics parts from HobbyKing USA .

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2145562

If you want to make one , I can show you which parts to order , and I can walk you through the VERY simple build .

Al
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Jun 07, 2014, 09:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,937 Posts
I see what you mean. Thanks for your comments!

In view of the complexity, I'll build a plane next time.
Old Jun 07, 2014, 09:34 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,020 Posts
+1 to what balsa or carbon says. I've seen that airframe and thought of the same but the geometry of the plane just isn't the best. I too think it would be less trouble to scratchbuild than convert this particular airframe - but perhaps you could use the wings or fuse as "donor" parts....

On the other hand, a wonderful candidate for conversions of this type is the air hogs Titan chuck glider. It can be found at walmart, toys R us, target for about $10. I've done several conversions on this airframe ranging from trainers to EDF's. All performed beyond expectations. There is an extensive thread here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1246101

As you will see from the thread, the possibilities are endless!
Happy bashing and good luck!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Jun 07, 2014, 09:52 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,937 Posts
Wow, that jet looks awesome! Thanks for sharing. But EDF is beyond my current skill level.
Old Jun 07, 2014, 10:19 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
Wow, that jet looks awesome! Thanks for sharing. But EDF is beyond my current skill level.
Thanks! Don't sell yourself short! Trust me, the EDF - 64mm version was a puppy dog in the sky. Very easy to handle. The 70mm was(is) a bit more of a challenge .

In any event, there are several successful conversions - traditional tractor, pusher, boom, twin, pod, etc. Use the thread tools to browse the attachments. The great thing about the airframe is that it is a decent size, the foam is good quality (for what it is) and the airframe can take a considerable amount of weight and still be a floater- even though most chop down the wings. Also, the contributors to the thread are great and will help you along the way (if you need it).
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Jun 07, 2014, 10:30 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,590 Posts
Quote:
Go for the simple delta , it's RIDICULOUSLY easy to make and the airframe only costs $1 - $2 !

Al
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Jun 08, 2014, 09:29 AM
Professional Amateur
Joined Feb 2013
1,793 Posts
I did one of these, it was weak on 1s but with a 2s and 10g motor it did okay. I replaced the tail feathers with hefty plate and made a full floating stabilator. I ended up cracking the fuse right at the LE wing root though after a few short hops and scrapped it. I just seen it sitting in my scrap foam pile yesterday, along with the wings from the 4' chuck glider. Maybe i'll put 'em back together and build a new nose for it.

I sanded my wings down as well to a smoother profile and taped the edges.
Rusty Mustard is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Mustard
Old Jun 08, 2014, 02:10 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,106 Posts
Don't see why it won't work. If this plane is anything like the Titan, the horizontal stabilizer will need to be strengthened either by gluing another piece of foam on it to make it thicker or tape on the top and bottom might be enough.

Only thing I see missing on your list is tape. Dollar Tree should have some, I know the 99 cent store does. It can be used for the hinges and a strip or two on the top and bottom of the wing can help strengthen it instead of a carbon rod if need be.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Jun 08, 2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2014, 04:56 PM
Fly It Til the Wings Fall Off
United States, ME, Parkman
Joined Apr 2012
534 Posts
I bought a couple of those after I saw the photo below. I have some GWS J-cub wings to try out on one of them,
scotty909 is offline Find More Posts by scotty909
Old Jun 08, 2014, 05:03 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,937 Posts
The reason why I don't want to get foam boards to build a delta, or buy a Titan to build an EDF jet, is because I already have many flying toys, and I want to do it - convert this foam plane to RC. I know there are better DIY options out there but somehow, I want to do this.

So it seems possible. Rusty Mustard, could you please share more info and some photos?

RCvertt, tape and other miscellaneous stuff are not an issue. I should be able to get them easily. The problem I'm having are the parts that have "???" instead of a particular item. For example, I have no idea which specific prop + motor would work. I never understood the science between the pitch vs length vs KV.
Old Jun 08, 2014, 05:04 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty909 View Post
I bought a couple of those after I saw the photo below. I have some GWS J-cub wings to try out on one of them,

Is the only part from the foam plane the front fuselage?

Is it possible to use the original main wing but sculpt it accordingly with a foam cutter?

How did you control the ailerons? One motor for each side, or one motor both both sides? How does the push rod run underneath the wing?

Which battery, ESC, motor and prop did you use?

Where did you hide the RX?
Old Jun 08, 2014, 05:39 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,106 Posts
Quote:
...The problem I'm having are the parts that have "???" instead of a particular item. For example, I have no idea which specific prop + motor would work.
I see. Not sure if that ESC you are looking at has a BEC to power your receiver and servos?

I would go with an outrunner motor in the 1300KV range that weighs about 20 grams or less. I'd go for a 2 or most likely 3 cell battery. I don't think one cell will be enough.

A (hexTronik 16gram Brushless Outrunner 1700kv) with a 6 inch GSW style three blade prop I think will get you moving in the air. Probably a1300mah 2 cell or smaller 2 cell for the battery.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Jun 08, 2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2014, 05:51 PM
Fly It Til the Wings Fall Off
United States, ME, Parkman
Joined Apr 2012
534 Posts
I just found the photo, I have not built one yet. It looks like there is a wing - hatch set up on this. Note the pegs and the rubber bands holding it down. I'm assuming the fuse is hollowed out and the battery, RX and Esc are under the wing. or forward a bit for the CG. It also looks like the tail was cut off and turned around to mount the10 gram motor. I'd use a couple of 3.7 gram servos for the ailerons and one for the elevator. I'd also try to keep the weight down under 5 Oz. or so. I'm going to try to build one but this looks like a winter project for me.
scotty909 is offline Find More Posts by scotty909
Old Jun 08, 2014, 05:54 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,106 Posts
Quote:
...I never understood the science between the pitch vs length vs KV.
Can't say I understand it that well either.

As best as I understand KV is like gears in a car. Low KV around 800 is like first gear in a car. Lots of power to swing a large prop and possible let your pane go vertical like a car going up a steep hill but it won't move your plane very fast through the air. 1500 kv is starting to get up there like 5th gear in a car. Only enough power to swing a smaller prop and you won't be going vertical without a running start but it'll move your plane through the air faster when it gets up to speed.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Jun 08, 2014 at 06:18 PM.