HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2014, 03:36 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
1,958 Posts
If you are only going to run one then get the 2000 .
flyinwalenda is offline Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2014, 03:40 PM
Condescending Pedant
Joined Aug 2013
815 Posts
Back in the 70's we used to fly all day on a 450 mAhr Ni-Cd. And that was with old fashioned transistor based receivers. Of course the servos today pull more amps but I would think it would take a lot of flights (maybe 20) to drain a 1300 mAhr battery.
Mike Dubovsky is offline Find More Posts by Mike Dubovsky
Old Sep 09, 2014, 04:20 PM
Build to fly, fly to fix
Canada, QC, Pointe-Claire
Joined Jun 2011
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldredge View Post
But before that, I need to figure out what size battery to buy. That's the stage I'm at. Ordering.
We are running two 2100mah LiFe batts in the Meridian. This is for separate ignition and receiver batteries. Using ~250mah / 8 min flight.
teckbot is online now Find More Posts by teckbot
Old Sep 09, 2014, 05:33 PM
United States, CA, La Honda
Joined May 2014
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B View Post
It's a big plane, I'd get the bigger battery.
That way any servo you get now or replace with later the battery can handle the servo needs.

Tim
Thanks. I've read in this thread about having to add weight with the electric version to get the CG correct. Using a separate RX battery might help if that is an issue.
seldredge is offline Find More Posts by seldredge
Old Sep 09, 2014, 08:43 PM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
850 Posts
Quote:
.........Planning to go Power 46 because I have 4S 4000 batteries and a 70A ESC already..
You will be disappointed with this setup. A Power 52 on 5S or better still 6S with a 90 amp ESC is much better and a Power 60 on 5S or 6S is better still. I use 5S 5000's with a Power 52 and eliminated having to put any weight up front to balance. I can easily get 8 min fights. The only problem with the Power 52 is you will have to make another motor box as it is a long motor.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Sep 09, 2014, 09:05 PM
Joined May 2014
137 Posts
Certainly nothing succeeds like excess, or at least a lot. I am considering a larger motor, but with that comes having to buy a new ESC and new expensive batteries, and expensive suddenly becomes $300+ more expensive. Since I already have a 70A ESC and three 4S 4000 mA lipos, I need only a motor to try that setup. (Or could I fly a 52 with 4S and 70A?)

I'm coming from a few months on an E-Flite Apprentice. ... I should be satisfied for at least a few hours with a 46 motor.

How are E-Flite motors? People seem to love or hate E-Flite/Spektrum.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 04:14 PM
Joined May 2014
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
You will be disappointed with this setup. A Power 52 on 5S or better still 6S with a 90 amp ESC is much better and a Power 60 on 5S or 6S is better still. I use 5S 5000's with a Power 52 and eliminated having to put any weight up front to balance. I can easily get 8 min fights. The only problem with the Power 52 is you will have to make another motor box as it is a long motor.
I found this comment from an owner on the 46/4S 4000 setup: " I'd recommend a 5s 5000 mAh battery with an 80 amp esc. I found the 4s 4000 mAh just not quite capable of anything more then cruising along. "

So, thanks for planting the seed. I can cruise along with what I have now. Back to the mental drawing board.

Have any experience with a Great Planes Cherokee? There's a used one for sale nearby (with a 46).
Old Sep 11, 2014, 04:20 PM
AMA 983978
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2011
197 Posts
My $0.02...although I just sold mine, I loved the performance using Power 60, 60Amp esc, 6S 5000.
MikePS is online now Find More Posts by MikePS
Old Sep 12, 2014, 01:10 AM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
850 Posts
Quote:
I found this comment from an owner on the 46/4S 4000 setup: " I'd recommend a 5s 5000 mAh battery with an 80 amp esc. I found the 4s 4000 mAh just not quite capable of anything more then cruising along. "

So, thanks for planting the seed. I can cruise along with what I have now. Back to the mental drawing board.

Have any experience with a Great Planes Cherokee? There's a used one for sale nearby (with a 46).
If you use 5S I would recommend not fitting a spinner so you get more air to the motor. The motor is going to get hot on 5S. Cannot help with the Cherokee.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 03:24 PM
Joined May 2014
137 Posts
I've reread all the posts in this thread related to Power 52 vs Power 60, and was a little confused (someone was using a 60A ESC??). And in reading on the HH site, from time to time, I found myself equally confused. Today I figured out why. HH offers two variants of the Power 60, and I hadn't noticed.

400kV, 60A ESC, uses 5S-7S lipos

470kV, 80A, 6S version

I was leaning toward the Power 52 with 5S or 6S (590kV, 80A, 4S-6S) until I discovered there are two Power 60s. The 400kV Power 60 seems to be a similar but different choice (that's about as technical as I can get right now on motor choices).

Can anyone offer some thoughts on picking the 400 kV 60 over the 52? (All motors are currently the same price.)
Old Sep 15, 2014, 05:08 PM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
850 Posts
I stand to be corrected but if considering a Power 60 then the 470 kv would be better. The 400 kv would be better for slower pattern type flying with a large prop. The 470 kv would allow you to use a smaller dia prop for sports flying. The prop on the Meridian can get a hammering because of the trike undercarriage. I am using the Castle Creations Talon 90 amp ESC with my Power 52 on 5S. Maybe 90 amp is bigger than necessary but it has a 9amp BEC which I like and also allows me to occasionally have a days flying with 6S batteries. The Talon is installed under the battery tray and does not have a lot of air passing over it however it never gets more than warm to touch. I doubt a 60 amp ESC would work for me.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 06:14 PM
Joined May 2014
137 Posts
Good considerations. So many variables. I have an ESC that can handle 70A continuous and 110A bursts for 5 seconds. That seemed OK for the Power 52 but probably not for the 60 470kV. I was going to connect 2S 4000 mAh batteries in series with the 4S 4000 mAh ones I have to create 6S. (Great Planes actually called for something like this for their Cherokee).

Then I discovered the 400 kV Power 60 for which the ESC is even more suited, and the 60 seems to have power about the same as the 52. That's where the question came from.

And since then I was advised only to connect like lipos in series, so I am in the position now of having to get new batteries. At which point it doesn't make much sense to save $100 to build a plane from the ESC up.

Having learned on a trike, I can appreciate the prop clearance issues (trike initially seemed to refer to nose wheel and left wingtip right wingtip). And I would need either a separate BEC or RX battery to use my ESC.

Do you wish for more performance than you can get on the 52 on 6S?

Would throttling back on a larger motor give me the same/similar flight times as a smaller
motor?

UPDATE: I just found and played around on eCalc. Seems that the best of everything is achieved with a Power 60 470kV and 6S.

Regards
Last edited by seldredge; Sep 15, 2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:38 PM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
850 Posts
Quote:
Good considerations. So many variables. I have an ESC that can handle 70A continuous and 110A bursts for 5 seconds. That seemed OK for the Power 52 but probably not for the 60 470kV. I was going to connect 2S 4000 mAh batteries in series with the 4S 4000 mAh ones I have to create 6S. (Great Planes actually called for something like this for their Cherokee).

Then I discovered the 400 kV Power 60 for which the ESC is even more suited, and the 60 seems to have power about the same as the 52. That's where the question came from.

And since then I was advised only to connect like lipos in series, so I am in the position now of having to get new batteries. At which point it doesn't make much sense to save $100 to build a plane from the ESC up.

Having learned on a trike, I can appreciate the prop clearance issues (trike initially seemed to refer to nose wheel and left wingtip right wingtip). And I would need either a separate BEC or RX battery to use my ESC.

Do you wish for more performance than you can get on the 52 on 6S?

Would throttling back on a larger motor give me the same/similar flight times as a smaller
motor?

UPDATE: I just found and played around on eCalc. Seems that the best of everything is achieved with a Power 60 470kV and 6S.

Regards
Power is not the only determining factor in the choice of a motor. You can have a motor with twice the power (watts) but unless it can spin the prop at the speed you want the extra watts are a waste of time. You must consider kv.... that is how fast are you are spinning the prop.

I have put 6S and 4S batteries in series to give me 10S with no problem. The batteries should be the same mAh, C rating and condition.

I am happy with the Power 52 on 6S. I do not fly the Meridian for gut wrenching performance. I have other planes for that.

Your 70 amp ESC will cope with the Power 52. For flight times, throttle management will always give you longer flight times. I have seen guys go out and once in the air they never lower the throttle and they are happy with 4 to 5 mins and the occasional deadstick when the battery dies. Me, I like to look after my batteries. I have to say after 6 mins I am ready for a lay down. Even with nitro and gasser I generally have had enough after 8 mins.

I have found eCalc always to be a money saver in deciding what I need to fly a plane. If it says it works then go with it.
Last edited by Watdazit; Yesterday at 01:13 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:47 PM
Joined May 2014
137 Posts
I began running numbers in eCalc, focusing on the kV values of the motors and the results that were produced in terms of W/lb and flight times etc. (and assuming a 14 inch max diameter prop), and I got a better feeling for how to use the tool.