SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:12 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
358 Posts
Discussion
Back In The Air!

Today was the day that I was going to get back up in the air. That has happened. It was a good day (no crashes)... but the results aren't what I expected. It goes something like this...

Friday Night:

The weather for Saturday was predicted to be PERFECT. Clear sky, temps in the mid-sixties and nearly zero wind.

I had decided during the week that I would go ahead and take my electric R/C airplane with me. (A Hobbyzone Super Cub.) That way, when I was ready for a break from the fast-action the control line would afford, I could renew my R/C learning experience that I had laid aside some 2-3 years ago. (During that time I only put about 6 fledgling flights on the Super Cub.)

Well, as I was cruising the control line forum here at R/C World... I happened by to check out the electric R/C forum to see what had been happening in that hobby during my inactive period. Wow... cool to see there were lots of "warbirds" available now... both WW2 and WW1. Always had a weakness for warbirds... hey... what's this?

I noticed that one of the participants on the forum was from my town I live in! (Poteau, OK.) Now how cool is that? So, I PM'd him and ask him where the flying was being done in Poteau. (I figured if the area was large enough that R/C can be flown there, so to, can control line.) As luck would have it, he and his cronies were going to be also be flying Saturday and he invited me along. We exchanged a few PM's. Turns out we knew each other from back during the time I worked for different railroad. Cool!

Now, off to bed and let's get this thing started...

Saturday Morning:

First order of business: Run the cleaned up (modified) 35 Stunts on the test stand. Not cool. Being as the venturi is modified (bored out), I wasn't able to sustain a run using the suction tank. I would have to use a bladder... might as well do that at the field.

Loaded up a 35 Stunt foamie, my 36X powered Demon, my R/C Super Cub, flight box, et al... and it was off to the field.

They were already there and flying their R/C airplanes. After introductions, I browsed around watching, and asking questions. Some good flyers among the 4or so guys there. Only one had any C/L exposure... way back when he was a youngster: A Cox plastic plane of some sort.

Eventually, one of the guys offered to help me get a control line airplane up in the air. (Note: Honey Buns was more than glad for me to go to the flying field with the guys! That way, SHE wasn't the one getting covered in exhaust goo!)

I readied the 35 Stunt powered foamie... covering the bladder compartment with a rag in case that 12 year old bladder rubber exploded! It didn't... and soon I was attempting to light it off. This is where it got frustrating. I had forgotten that these modified Stunt engines were very fussy. I quickly got my fill and took the foamie off the lines and hooked up my Demon with its restricted 36X. (I did NOT want to trouble shoot and work on engines at the field!!!)

Within seconds, I had the X engine lit and the needle set. Whew boy... The Moment Of Truth has arrived!! (Can a 60 year old Offcial Old Fart still fly a combat ship?)

Giving the signal... it lept into the air. Whoa... it's FAST! (And it's corked... I suspect it was only flying at about 90 MPH. To think I used to routinely fly them at 110 MPH a mere 12 years ago!!)

The rust on my flying skills was painfully obvious to me. I had to WORK at staying up with the Demon. I kept the airplane manuevering so I didn't have to turn circles. When I WOULD fly level circles, after only a few roundy-rounds I could feel dizziness setting in. Then it was back to manuevers so I could stand still in one place so the dizziness would pass.

Finally, the bladdered emptied and I brought in down for a landing.

They were impressed... I was NOT.

Hmmm... time to thoughtfully reflect on this combat plane idea of mine.

Inwardly feeling disappointed... I ambled back to the R/C area and watched the others fly for a bit. After a while, I went ahead and put my Super Cub into the air to renew the learning process.

I flew the Super Cub a couple of times... and as one of the battery packs was charging... the helper guy offered to help me get the Demon back in the air for another flight.

Agreeing that it would be wrong on several levels to put out all this effort to get my C/L stuff ready to fly only to fly it one time... we went back over to my impromtu C/L field and prepped it for another flight. Within a minute it was fueled, started and I was on my way to the handle.

This flight went noticably better as I was beginning to settle down and fly the plane. I still was NOT "comfortable" with it... but better. It is good that I flew it again. It would have been a critical mistake on my part to leave the field with the negative impressions I had from the first flight.

From this, I returned to the R/C area and eventually flew my R/C Super Cub another time after they were all gone.

So, I am officially back in the air. I CAN fly my C/L combat planes... but I'm certainly not ready to take out the restrictor and get it on like I used to enjoy doing.

However, I couldn't help but notice some things about the way the day went.

* The fuel goo (exhaust, evaporated fuel on the hands/fingers/etc) was more noticable to me than when I was younger.

* Whereas the adrenelin rush of flying a fast combat ship was one of the elements I best liked about control line "back when"... I noticed the apprehension of the Demon's quickness and snap caused an entirely different adrenelin response!

* I noticed I found it very relaxing to simply amble about the sky with my R/C Super Cub.

* I also noticed the cleanliness of electric power... offset somewhat by the charging times required in order to have "fun" again.

The above are just some of the things I felt and experienced during the course of the day. Some of the experiences and feelings were not what I was expecting.

Thus...

I have a lot to think through over the next few days or few weeks.

I may not find the fun I used to find in fast combat planes. I may have evolved to where I like things at a more relaxed pace. That is, a nice flying C/L stunt plane... and/or a nice and relaxing R/C electric plane.

One thing has already been rethought:

Given that it is going to take a LOT of airtime to even get a portion of my former C/L skills back (IF I can get them back)... I am fairly certain I DO NOT want to compete in any form of competition. I simply don't have the drive necessary anymore to regiment myself to the building, practicing, etc, etc, that competeing (even casually) requires. No, I think if I'm going to be a flyer, fun flying is going to be where it's at with me. (Along that line of thought, I do think a nice flying C/L stunt plane would be relaxing.)

So, from this point, I intend to fly the combat planes some more... as well as pursue getting more proficient at R/C flying. (i.e. Be able to keep it off the ground and land it where I want to!) Along the way, I hope it will become more apparent to see where my fun factor is going to best be found.

Happy Flying!

Andre
LA Ming is offline Find More Posts by LA Ming
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ming View Post
Today was the day that I was going to get back up in the air. That has happened. It was a good day (no crashes)... but the results aren't what I expected. It goes something like this...

Friday Night:

The weather for Saturday was predicted to be PERFECT. Clear sky, temps in the mid-sixties and nearly zero wind.

I had decided during the week that I would go ahead and take my electric R/C airplane with me. (A Hobbyzone Super Cub.) That way, when I was ready for a break from the fast-action the control line would afford, I could renew my R/C learning experience that I had laid aside some 2-3 years ago. (During that time I only put about 6 fledgling flights on the Super Cub.)

Well, as I was cruising the control line forum here at R/C World... I happened by to check out the electric R/C forum to see what had been happening in that hobby during my inactive period. Wow... cool to see there were lots of "warbirds" available now... both WW2 and WW1. Always had a weakness for warbirds... hey... what's this?

I noticed that one of the participants on the forum was from my town I live in! (Poteau, OK.) Now how cool is that? So, I PM'd him and ask him where the flying was being done in Poteau. (I figured if the area was large enough that R/C can be flown there, so to, can control line.) As luck would have it, he and his cronies were going to be also be flying Saturday and he invited me along. We exchanged a few PM's. Turns out we knew each other from back during the time I worked for different railroad. Cool!

Now, off to bed and let's get this thing started...

Saturday Morning:

First order of business: Run the cleaned up (modified) 35 Stunts on the test stand. Not cool. Being as the venturi is modified (bored out), I wasn't able to sustain a run using the suction tank. I would have to use a bladder... might as well do that at the field.

Loaded up a 35 Stunt foamie, my 36X powered Demon, my R/C Super Cub, flight box, et al... and it was off to the field.

They were already there and flying their R/C airplanes. After introductions, I browsed around watching, and asking questions. Some good flyers among the 4or so guys there. Only one had any C/L exposure... way back when he was a youngster: A Cox plastic plane of some sort.

Eventually, one of the guys offered to help me get a control line airplane up in the air. (Note: Honey Buns was more than glad for me to go to the flying field with the guys! That way, SHE wasn't the one getting covered in exhaust goo!)

I readied the 35 Stunt powered foamie... covering the bladder compartment with a rag in case that 12 year old bladder rubber exploded! It didn't... and soon I was attempting to light it off. This is where it got frustrating. I had forgotten that these modified Stunt engines were very fussy. I quickly got my fill and took the foamie off the lines and hooked up my Demon with its restricted 36X. (I did NOT want to trouble shoot and work on engines at the field!!!)

Within seconds, I had the X engine lit and the needle set. Whew boy... The Moment Of Truth has arrived!! (Can a 60 year old Offcial Old Fart still fly a combat ship?)

Giving the signal... it lept into the air. Whoa... it's FAST! (And it's corked... I suspect it was only flying at about 90 MPH. To think I used to routinely fly them at 110 MPH a mere 12 years ago!!)

The rust on my flying skills was painfully obvious to me. I had to WORK at staying up with the Demon. I kept the airplane manuevering so I didn't have to turn circles. When I WOULD fly level circles, after only a few roundy-rounds I could feel dizziness setting in. Then it was back to manuevers so I could stand still in one place so the dizziness would pass.

Finally, the bladdered emptied and I brought in down for a landing.

They were impressed... I was NOT.

Inwardly feeling disappointed... I ambled back to the R/C area and watched the others fly for a bit. After a while, I went ahead and put my Super Cub into the air to renew the learning process.

I flew the Super Cub a couple of times... and as one of the battery packs was charging... the helper guy offered to help me get the Demon back in the air for another flight.

Agreeing that it would be wrong on several levels to put out all this effort to get my C/L stuff ready to fly only to fly it one time... we went back over to my impromtu C/L field and prepped it for another flight. Within a minute it was fueled, started and I was on my way to the handle.

This flight went noticably better as I was beginning to settle down and fly the plane. I still was NOT "comfortable" with it... but better. It is good that I flew it again. It would have been a critical mistake on my part to leave the field with the negative impressions I had from the first flight.

From this, I returned to the R/C area and eventually flew my R/C Super Cub another time after they were all gone.

So, I am officially back in the air. I CAN fly my C/L combat planes... but I'm certainly not ready to take out the restrictor and get it on like I used to enjoy doing.

However, I couldn't help but notice some things about the way the day went.

* The fuel goo (exhaust, evaporated fuel on the hands/fingers/etc) was more noticable to me than when I was younger.

* Whereas the adrenelin rush of flying a fast combat ship was one of the elements I best liked about control line "back when"... I noticed the apprehension of the Demon's quickness and snap caused an entirely different adrenelin response!

* I noticed I found it very relaxing to simply amble about the sky with my R/C Super Cub.

* I also noticed the cleanliness of electric power... offset somewhat by the charging times required in order to have "fun" again.

The above are just some of the things I felt and experienced during the course of the day. Some of the experiences and feelings were not what I was expecting.

Thus...

I have a lot to think through over the next few days or few weeks.

I may not find the fun I used to find in fast combat planes. I may have evolved to where I like things at a more relaxed pace. That is, a nice flying C/L stunt plane... and/or a nice and relaxing R/C electric plane.

One thing has already been rethought:

Given that it is going to take a LOT of airtime to even get a portion of my former C/L skills back (IF I can get them back)... I am fairly certain I DO NOT want to compete in any form of competition. I simply don't have the drive necessary anymore to regiment myself to the building, practicing, etc, etc, that competeing (even casually) requires. No, I think if I'm going to be a flyer, fun flying is going to be where it's at with me. (Along that line of thought, I do think a nice flying C/L stunt plane would be relaxing.)

So, from this point, I intend to fly the combat planes some more... as well as pursue getting more proficient at R/C flying. (i.e. Be able to keep it off the ground and land it where I want to!) Along the way, I hope it will become more apparent to see where my fun factor is going to best be found.

Happy Flying!

Andre
All things change and eventually go back to where they began. Go where you are comfortable. I still fiddle about with C/L and I have never been nor will be a competition flyer. R/C helicopters are my main challenge right now. Do what makes you happy!

PS:

"They were impressed... I was NOT.

Inwardly feeling disappointed"...

You are always your own worst critic. Do you know how many people in the world can actually fly a C/L model, much less a Combat wing and not put it in the dirt? You did it and how old are you? Pretty impressive I'd say. Why are you disappointed? Kiss your wife and be proud of yourself.
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
Last edited by JKinTX; Nov 17, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:45 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,335 Posts
LA Ming,

That was a very interesting post, sir!

I am sort of in the same boat as you-I just started flying CL again a few months ago, for the first time in 30 years or more. I normally fly R/C helicopters and, truthfully, found the helicopter a bit more relaxing than the U-Control.

Bear in mind, I am not flying the high performance machines that you are, I was flying a Wen Mac Yellow Jacket (about the same age as I am-55) and a Cox PT-19.

I flew each of them a couple of times (this time a Tubojet), and then did not touch them for a month or two. The dizziness got to me, I had trouble staring the .049's, and it seemed rather lack-luster for the amount of time and effort to get everything together to fly again.

I keep restoring .049's and worked with starting them. Also added a couple of shots of automotive starting fluid to my glow fuel (Testors fuel has ether or some other igniter in it). The .049's suddenly became much easier to start and ran more reliably.

I flew again a couple of times and, although the dizzyness is still there, it is much better (15 foot lines are very, very short, even with relatively slow airplanes). The 20 fool lines on the Cox models are a bit better.

For some reason, I started to get the enjoyment out of U-Control flying again. It just started to come back to me and, for a few minutes, I could be about 13 years old again (ok, with gray hair, wrinkles, and a paunch, but it still felt like it, for a few minutes-about the time it took to burn through a tank of gas).

I enjoy reading your posts-please continue to do so. Comparing notes after returning from so long an absence is interesting (at least it is, for me).

And you are right, it is much slimier than I remember, also (although it smells great!).

Excuse me, but there is a P-39 sitting on the floor behind me, that needs an engine overhaul. Keep us posted, sir!
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
"And you are right, it is much slimier than I remember, also (although it smells great!)".

I always remember it as being oily/nasty although the smell was great (glow), the clean up wasn't.
I wipe down the model/test stand after each use, and man does it take a bunch of paper towels! Electric is so much cleaner, and fun in it's own way, but the glow/diesel stuff still has it's charms even today.

"For some reason, I started to get the enjoyment out of U-Control flying again. It just started to come back to me and, for a few minutes, I could be about 13 years old again (ok, with gray hair, wrinkles, and a paunch, but it still felt like it, for a few minutes-about the time it took to burn through a tank of gas)".

It's called giving us a reason to be alive and be glad of that, this is one, there are others as well.
Last edited by JKinTX; Nov 17, 2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:11 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
358 Posts
JKinTX:

Well, thanks for the kind words. I guess I was disappointed in comparison to how accomplished I used to be and how terribly rusty I was today. Shucks... when I was young and fearless, I could fly 118 MPH Tyrantula's without looking at the thing! (Used to showboat and invite someone out in the circle to see what a combat plane looked like from inside the circle... then look 'im in the eye and carry on a convesation while I was chewing up the air behind me!)

Alas... those were the days!

However, I see what you mean. I should be thrilled I can even fly the fool things anymore. Givin' Honey Buns a kiss is a good idea... be right back...

Ah Chem:

Well... I was just being transparent, I reckon.

I can't help but feel that control line will be a part of me in someway for the rest of my life, either in action or in attachment... but HOW I will enjoy it in action remains to be seen. That I will deduce as time goes by.

Also, there is NO comparison to the feel of a plastic ready-to-fly plastic plane on short dacron lines and the flying ability of a good 35 size control line airplane on 60' steel lines. No comparison at all. IF you ever get a chance to fly one... do so... it could change your entire outlook and perception of control line.

JKinTX:

Yup... nasty is the word. BUT... like you say... that wonderful exhaust smell... mmmmmm... sweet to the olefactory senses!

It will be interesting to me personally to see where this all leads me.

OF course... there is NO LAW that says I can't enjoy any of the aspects of model aircraft I want to, is there? I don't HAVE to stick with just ONE... right?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ming View Post
JKinTX:

Well, thanks for the kind words. I guess I was disappointed in comparison to how accomplished I used to be and how terribly rusty I was today. Shucks... when I was young and fearless, I could fly 118 MPH Tyrantula's without looking at the thing! (Used to showboat and invite someone out in the circle to see what a combat plane looked like from inside the circle... then look 'im in the eye and carry on a convesation while I was chewing up the air behind me!)

Alas... those were the days!

However, I see what you mean. I should be thrilled I can even fly the fool things anymore. Givin' Honey Buns a kiss is a good idea... be right back...

Ah Chem:

Well... I was just being transparent, I reckon.

I can't help but feel that control line will be a part of me in someway for the rest of my life, either in action or in attachment... but HOW I will enjoy it in action remains to be seen. That I will deduce as time goes by.

Also, there is NO comparison to the feel of a plastic ready-to-fly plastic plane on short dacron lines and the flying ability of a good 35 size control line airplane on 60' steel lines. No comparison at all. IF you ever get a chance to fly one... do so... it could change your entire outlook and perception of control line.

JKinTX:

Yup... nasty is the word. BUT... like you say... that wonderful exhaust smell... mmmmmm... sweet to the olefactory senses!

It will be interesting to me personally to see where this all leads me.

OF course... there is NO LAW that says I can't enjoy any of the aspects of model aircraft I want to, is there? I don't HAVE to stick with just ONE... right?
Yep!
I like R/C Scale sailplanes and R/C model boats too!
I love the smell of burning nitro in the morning, it is the smell of victory!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
"Also, there is NO comparison to the feel of a plastic ready-to-fly plastic plane on short dacron lines and the flying ability of a good 35 size control line airplane on 60' steel lines. No comparison at all. IF you ever get a chance to fly one... do so... it could change your entire outlook and perception of control line".

Not so.
Everyone has their own path, and the plastic RTF's are just another facet of the C/L world and just as valid. They aren't easy to get to fly either and are a rare and dying breed. You can always build more wood stuff, but you can't snap your fingers and get a Wen-Mac Cutlass or a K&B B-25 so easy...
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:56 AM
Mike A.
Des Moines, IA
Joined Oct 2005
365 Posts
Andre - welcome back. It was a pleasant surprise that you started posting and chronicled your re-entrance. As to your somewhat less - than - satisfying results on day one, well not so surprising. One thing that you haven't mentioned as considering - get yourself a nice-flying electric control line setup to fly in between the Cub flights -- not something 1/2A size, but something 35-40 size. I guarantee that you will find it as much fun and relaxation - you will enjoy the physical connection to the plane but with none of the hassles and anxiety of glow powered combat planes (and none of the goo, either). It is simply a matter of rolling out the lines, flying until you have had enough and rolling up the lines again. It may re-kindle your fire for the glow stuff too. There are some interesting developments going on - the recently passed rule change making RC control of functions other than elevator (in competition and in certain events) and the development of RPM governing timers for control line being two examples. Or, you may find that it's just not your cup of tea anymore. Either way, you will learn something interesting, and either way, welcome back.
mikeainia is offline Find More Posts by mikeainia
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:19 AM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
845 Posts
"In between"

You can put a 10-4 or an 11-4 on the 36X, and it cannot fly as fast. You can measure some engines at the Tulsa Collecto and find one or more from current engine designs that will drop into 36X mounts, and run on fuel with 5-6% castor plus 18% synthetic (much easier to clean up at the end of the day).

Even the Powermaster Fuels (now marketed by VP) with 50/50 lubrication were cleaner running that straight castor (11% synthetic oil, 11% castor). About a year before I first went to Tulsa, I'd been flying slower planes, nothing faster than about 65-70 mph, for several years, and I was already 60 back then. Jeff had several spare Arrowplanes, and motor mounts for Fox 35 Combat, which fit the OS Max 25s.

I went with him to Amarillo to a contest there, and flew a couple of those planes then, with 10-4 props. My problem that day was the patterns on my running shoes had too good a grip, literally. The grass circles have asphalt centers, and the surface texture was rough. I kept stumbling when I wanted to side-step, and the shoes wanted me going straight ahead instead!

Same as you, I kept on maneuvering on the downwind half. I don't imagine I was flying any faster than 85 mph, maybe 90, but it seemed faster. I was a happy guy that day, though. Those Arrowplanes are really special.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:56 AM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
358 Posts
JKinTX:

Points taken and now agree concerning the historic value and rarity of the vintage plastic planes, and the courage it takes to fly them without harm. There is indeed a "different" set of flying skills you need to access in order to accomplish same.

My statement was intended to be more along the line of the vast differences between the flying abilities of a plastic airplane and a 35-sized sport flyer capable of the stunt pattern.

I know I was thrilled at the heavy pull on the lines and solid feel of the airplanes when I went from my .049's to the bigger stuff back in the 1960's. However, one must remember that I believed what I read in the instruction sheets of my built up balsa .049's: 35' Dacron lines! Talk about "light" feeling out there on the end of the lines!

FWIW: In the early 80's I begin to fly some 1/2 A combat with 35' .012 cable lines and TeeDee's. Wow... that too... was vastly different than a Golden Bee powered Combat Kitten on 35' dacron lines! I really enjoyed tinkering with 1/2A combat over the next decade or so... even hooking up with a group in OKC and flying some 1/2A combat with them a few times. Lots of fun... but you can sure tear up some airplanes!

Mike:

Thanks for the welcome and glad you have enjoyed my verbosity!! (I "talk" alot online, apparently.) I don't know a thing about electric C/L. Perhaps that would be a fun online study one of these winter evenings. I have yet to determine how much of my interest in control line is nostalgic motivated, or flying experience motivated. If nostalgic, then the electrics may not ring my bell and the glow engines will have to be part of the equation in some way. If the flying experience itself is the big kahuna... then it won't be as important as to what is powering the airplane. All this to be determined in good time.

I must confess that it does still sound REALLY GOOD to hear a nice 36X going through its paces at the end of the lines. I so wish someone around here flew these old vintage combat planes, too. For I just love to watch them manuerver and listen to the sounds of the engine/etc.

Kiwi:

Big time respect from this boy if you're still flying at 85 MPH in your 70's!!!

As for the synthetics: You gotta' remember I'm (for the most part) a product of Duke's indoctrination when it comes to things glow engine. Duke was adamant about castor oil and its superior lubrication qualities. I must say, that my experience repairing customer engines really substantiated his doctrine. Soooo... I reckon', for better or worse, I'll be staying with 100% castor in my ancient and prized "babies". The clean up will just have to be better addressed. (Like wet wipes and cleaning spray and paper towels ON SITE when flying.)

FWIW:

After the first flight yesterday, my helper said something to the effect "No wonder your wife doesn't like to launch these things!". (He said as he held out the front of his goo covered pull-over fleece hoodie!) I laughed and made the comment that REAL MEN don't mind a bit of grease an' goo on them! (Yeah... hypocritcal... but hey... what else was I to say?)

Well... did it again. Typed a novelete instead of a reply. There is no hope.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:23 AM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,335 Posts
LA Ming,

"Finally, the bladdered emptied and I brought in down for a landing."

I just wanted to confirm that it was the bladder on the aircraft you were referring to..

(we are both old guys : D )

Great thread, sir!

JKinTX,

Interesting you should mention the Wen Mac Cutlass-I have just acquired a very tired one, with the intention of getting it flyable (I have one-new in the box, which will never be flown). I have been flying a Wen Mac A-24, with plans to fly one of the Wen Mac Flying wings in the near future.

Thank you for your thoughtful post, sir!
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
"My statement was intended to be more along the line of the vast differences between the flying abilities of a plastic airplane and a 35-sized sport flyer capable of the stunt pattern".

Understood and I couldn't agree more. Two different worlds. It's like the difference between a Cushman Super Eagle and a Suzuki Hayabusa. I enjoy both!
It wasn't a criticism, merely an observation.

Got a Combat Kitten double kit and a Lil' Satan in the kit stash, I need to pull them out and get busy. Holland Hornets for the Kittens and a Black Widow for the LS. Baby Flite Streak with an Atwood Wasp too I need to do...
Right now rebuilding engine test stand.
Last edited by JKinTX; Nov 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
"After the first flight yesterday, my helper said something to the effect "No wonder your wife doesn't like to launch these things!". (He said as he held out the front of his goo covered pull-over fleece hoodie!) I laughed and made the comment that REAL MEN don't mind a bit of grease an' goo on them! (Yeah... hypocritcal... but hey... what else was I to say?)

Well... did it again. Typed a novelete instead of a reply. There is no hope".

Tell him to be glad you weren't flying a diesel- he ain't seen nuthin' yet!

PS: Keep writing, it's most enjoyable to read!
Last edited by JKinTX; Nov 18, 2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:26 PM
The Great and Powerful Oz
Bismarck, ND USA
Joined Jun 2001
352 Posts
Hey, good for you on getting that gear in the air again! This past summer I dug out one of my 1/2A combat planes and flew it several times. I know what you mean about the adrenaline kicking in, I was behind the plane real bad on the 1st tank of fuel. It got better the more I flew it, but,like you, it confirmed my view that flying combat is a young man's thing. I also used to enjoy flying in Goodyear competition, but again, I'm at the stage in life where it's just not fun having to work at keeping up with the plane. Maybe that explains why I have a Pathfinder stunter with an OS 46LA on the building board now...Stunting is a load of fun!
Woody is offline Find More Posts by Woody
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:33 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
358 Posts
Ah Chem:

LOL on the bladder thing!! (Why... just about pee'd my pants laughing. Darned ol' bladders.)

JK:

I've never been around a diesel... really messy, eh?

Also... sounds like you have some EXCELLENT projects on the shelf waiting for you. Reminds me... I need to get back up to the attic and bring down my "tribute" Combat Kitten I built when I was last active and clean it up and get a pic to share.