Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:33 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,627 Posts
Discussion
Gyros and Mixing

Hey guys
I am wondering.....
What are the different kinds of gyros, and how do they work? I want to put on one my 3D plane to help learn how to hover.
What are common mixes for 3D outdoor foamies?
I really need help here.
Thanks!
Alex
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:22 PM
Half way there
USA, FL, Ocoee
Joined Sep 2008
1,203 Posts
at your age you dont need gyros. get out there and practice. it will come quickly
bill clark is offline Find More Posts by bill clark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3D printing small parts
Old Feb 04, 2012, 09:06 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,627 Posts
Alright. What about mixes?
Can you explain about gyros just so I know the basics of them?
Old Feb 04, 2012, 10:08 AM
Half way there
USA, FL, Ocoee
Joined Sep 2008
1,203 Posts
gyros are sometimes used by old people on the ailerons (on the rudder in scale planes and rarely on the rudder or elevator on aerobatic planes) to keep the plane from rolling into a death spiral they are a stabalizing device that tends to hold the last comanded position or attempt to return the airframe to the same plane as the gyro axis. Can be tricky to set up and can be fatal if the gain is set too high or reversed compensation. A 12yo's mind is probably at or approaching a peak in the ability to create muscle memory, reflexes, sharpness, and the ability to learn new things rapidly. you have an advantage over most of us. If you dont have a sim get one if you can. I would suggest you concentrate on flying straight, accurate aerobatic manuevers while playing with 3D. Pattern (precision flying) is the foundation of any above average 3D pilot although not as fun as the glamourous 3D. If you dont learn pattern as you go you will get to a point where you realize you are nothing but a stick banger and will have to return to developing precision skills to advance further. ask me how I know.

Mixes are usually used to bandaid coupling issues from a poor design or set up or a good design and set up with a rearward CG (for 3d). One common example is the plane may want to pull to the belly (or pitch down) in knife edge flight. This is caused by several factors but the biggest I have found is the rear fues areas (long section between the canopy and the tail feathers) shape which is rounded on top and flatish on the bottom. The high angle of attack from the rearward CG in KE has the airflow seeing this area as an airfoil creating the pitching. so if it pulls this way in KE a mix is added. When rudder is added to maintain KE the radio adds in a slight amount of up elevator. Example: 20 deg of left rudder will mix in 2 deg of up elevator so the plane flys straight with only rudder input in KE. try to keep your cg on the forward side as opposed to way back.
next question?.......
bill clark is offline Find More Posts by bill clark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3D printing small parts
Old Feb 04, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,627 Posts
Aaah ok thanks!