HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2011, 12:50 PM
U.K.
Joined Feb 2011
81 Posts
Discussion
Complete newbie...

Evening all,

Apologies for the generic intro/question in advance?!
Have always been fascinated by RC heli's without any real knowledge or hands on experience but recently decided to 'dip my toe in' and bought a Syma 107, twice... Both died almost immediately so gave up and got the bigger 032 which has been faultless for around a week or so.
Really getting the hang of it around the frontroom but weather has kept me away from the garden so far so can't comment on that aspect yet.
Already looking forward to the next step and wanna take it slowly so have an eye on the Blade 120 sr which seems to meet my wishlist at the mo.
Any advice/alternatives would be welcome but please keep it simple as although I am reading about 'swash, fixed pitch etc' it's taking a while to sink in?!
Thanks
ChopSt1cks is offline Find More Posts by ChopSt1cks
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2011, 01:30 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi ChopSt1cks,
welcome!
The sr120 would probably make a nice starter heli and keep you amused for some time. It will seem like a handful, but is fairly tame in the scale of single rotor [a coaxial heli has two main rotors. one above the other] helis.

for initial training
I recommend you check out RADDS. It can be boring and frustrating, but is good training.

regards,
Bill
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Feb 06, 2011, 01:45 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Vaca View Post
Hi ChopSt1cks,
welcome!
The sr120 would probably make a nice starter heli and keep you amused for some time. It will seem like a handful, but is fairly tame in the scale of single rotor [a coaxial heli has two main rotors. one above the other] helis.

for initial training
I recommend you check out RADDS. It can be boring and frustrating, but is good training.

regards,
Bill
It's real name is Blade 120SR just in case he goes looking for one... And I agree it's a nice heli..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Feb 06, 2011, 02:17 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Thanks Bob. I stand corrected
Old Feb 06, 2011, 02:27 PM
U.K.
Joined Feb 2011
81 Posts
Thanks for the replies, have figured out difference between coax and single blade hence looking at the 120sr as a step up but knowledge at this stage doesn't really stretch much further so thanks for the heads up with RAADS!
Just bought a house plus the good lady isn't overly keen on my new interest so might be a month or so before I take the plunge...
Any suggestions on wallet friendly alternatives greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 06, 2011, 02:30 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Vaca View Post
Thanks Bob. I stand corrected
Don't feel bad I was calling it a SR120 also till it was pointed out to me that it's a 120SR... I blame it on the person who first started the SR120 thread making the mistake of not calling it the 120SR thread...

this one:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265101
Old Feb 07, 2011, 09:26 AM
U.K.
Joined Feb 2011
81 Posts
Had a look at a Century 180 today, any good..?
Old Feb 07, 2011, 09:57 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
One of these might fit your budget better.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337008
They have a loyal following and seem reliable/durable [for helis]. I can't vouch for them as I have never flown these. Maybe the Trex100 [when it comes out].

regards,
Bill
Last edited by Air Vaca; Feb 07, 2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: added fogotten link
Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:00 AM
I love HAM
Joined Nov 2005
725 Posts
Hi Chopsticks,

Do you have a place outside where you can practice whenever you want? If you're going to do most of your training inside the house it would be better to get a model that is not too large, so you can do a bit more than only hover in one spot. I cannot comment on the Century 180 sorry. I started with a Walkera 4#6 which with some modifications proved a perfect beginner platform. Its successor, the v120D01 might be just the right choice for you; it should not be more of a handful than the 120SR.

Good luck with your search; its a large part of the fun of this hobby
Schermvlieger is offline Find More Posts by Schermvlieger
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:22 AM
Plane crazy
USA, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Jul 2010
153 Posts
I'm biased, but if you have enough room, i would go for the esky Honeybee FPV2. It's pretty rugged and spare parts are pretty cheap. Initial cost RTF is right around $100.00 Spare parts can be hard to find, so order a lot in advance. If I understand shipping history correctly, there is currently a shortage of these heli's and parts on the market, however, they usually come back in full swing in March or so once everyone gets their restocking shipments from china. Also, there is a fairly loyal fan club of the HBFP here on RC groups. Like all the other heli's, there are a lot of good people willing to help, make sugestions for learning, maintenance, and upgrades etc. I'm a newb as well, and asside from a little air hog, the HBFP has been my first rc heli. I love it so far and can see myself flying it for a long time.
ISPYFROMABOVE is offline Find More Posts by ISPYFROMABOVE
Old Feb 07, 2011, 01:23 PM
U.K.
Joined Feb 2011
81 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations fellas, mate bought the 120sr today and I think it's 'the one'?! Very difficult recalibrating my left thumb to do a bit of steering and it needed quite a bit of trimming out the box but can see it's potential. The garden is plenty big enough I think...
The guy at the shop mentioned that a CP version could be released soon so not sure if it's worth holding out for that or will it just make it trickier to fly?
Old Feb 07, 2011, 02:18 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
Chop sticks
Welcome to the hobby!
i am pretty much a heli noob too but a old timer plane guy
I second the nine eagles solo pro recommendation which is also branded Revell Proto Max (What I have) it is a good little heli and small enough for indoor flight. you will want to and go ahead buy some spare parts for it,
rotor head/and main shaft, linkages and landing skid is the most breakable parts that will require replacement if you slam the heli into a wall or celing or lawn dart it... Been There Done that parts are cheap and plentiful which when you buy a heli of any brand you want to be sure there are spare parts available because eventually you will break something especially being a beginner pilot.
breaking down and making repairs is just part of the hobby.
or you could go the throw away air hogs 4 channel route but for the price you would be better off with a Proto Max/Solo Pro.
let us know what you wind up with and Have Fun with it
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:17 AM
U.K.
Joined Feb 2011
81 Posts
Hello fellas,
Plumped for the 120 sr in the end, nearly swayed by the msr but a bit too small for the garden.
Charging up at the mo which is taking an eternity....
Thanks for taking the time to reply, will let you know how I get on?!
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:27 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopSt1cks View Post
Hello fellas,
Plumped for the 120 sr in the end, nearly swayed by the msr but a bit too small for the garden.
Charging up at the mo which is taking an eternity....
Thanks for taking the time to reply, will let you know how I get on?!
The 120SR was a good choice for garden flying.. And will also be good inside for practicing nose in hovering and controlled slow flight. I'm really enjoying mine..
Old Feb 12, 2011, 03:30 PM
U.K.
Joined Feb 2011
81 Posts
Quick update, few flights in and it's a tricky little beast. Nothing like the Syma which didn't seem to require any skill whatsoever?!
Anyway, must go... Need to improve on my 11 second hover record..