HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2011, 05:47 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Some picts from a relaxing day of sailing

No official race today.. just 20 guys and their boats having fun..
this doesn't show it ...but we had about 10 starts and raced up to the weather marks rounding them to port and back to the downwind marks at he east end , and back to the starting line mid way... Fun Stuff..

takin a break (0 min 14 sec)
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Last edited by jims123; Jan 29, 2011 at 06:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:59 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Pelican's anyone?

Sailing DeAnza with Pellicans.mp4 (11 min 24 sec)

JimS
Old Feb 01, 2011, 09:48 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Chasing the Rabbit

Had the day off Monday so we had a nice afternoon at the pond playing Chase the Rabbit with 3 other ODOMs and an IOM..

With two weather marks and two downwind marks at the far end of the 200 meter SD pond.. the idea is to race to a finish between the two weather marks .. And the winners of the last race just idle about past the line till the "rabbit" catches up and crosses last. As he does (or some times a bit earlier when we all yell "Turn and go".. ).. he turns downwind to start the next race and we all try to catch him again racing down and back to the gate at the weather end again..

Fun Stuff.. we did this about a dozen times.. I wish I could say i was winning much.. did once, but only cause I had about a 10-boat-length lead at the two downwind marks.. More Time, tuning and practice will likely help tho.. JimS
Old Feb 01, 2011, 06:05 PM
Joined Oct 2010
24 Posts
So who won most the races???
Krowbar69 is offline Find More Posts by Krowbar69
Old Feb 01, 2011, 10:54 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowbar69 View Post
So who won most the races???
Since Lon was under powered with. "B" rig on his IOM...
Rich H took almost every one

I'm taking off tomorrow too.. You should try to come down if you can Chris.. We missed you down there.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 06:26 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
SD Pond in SantaAna Wind today

SanTaAnna Winds at the SD Boat Pond (0 min 25 sec)

Lotta fun in the gusty wind shifts and SantaAna conditions today

JimS
Last edited by jims123; Feb 02, 2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:40 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Dropped in a new rudder servo today

I never felt anything wrong while actually sailing but upon initial turn-on pre-launch check.. noticed a couple times that my rudder servo would sometimes) oscillate / or vibrate/chatter about 1/8th inch (viewed at the trailing edge of the fin) as I was initially turning the stick to the right..it wouldn't do this while turning left, and it would quit chattering after two or three swipes across it's max range of travel to the End Points. So, I decided to replace it with this Digital servo of nearly an identical size..

Also set up Dual Rates at 95% and 50% each initially, and Expo up so I can tone down the rudder response near center when I'm going to be on a single tack for a long time. I'm curious to see how that behaves..and if any of you have tips on generic Dual Rate and Expo settings for your own sailboats?

Already learned tho that I need to switch back well in advance when on a Port tack tho cause I accidentally hit my friend Lon's boat by mistake when I was fiddling with the Expo switch. With D/R on and set for only 30% of it's normal 100% range i turned too slow and late to miss him..
Old Feb 09, 2011, 09:06 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Got my AMYA No. 16982 today

Along with a cool info packed Model Yachting Magazine No 159

there's going to be a points Race Feb 13th at the SD Boat pond. I hope to try racing with the ODOM guys for-real in that event..

Should be interesting.. amazing how few BASIC rules there are, but how many complex situations can come up based on them and all sorts of assorted conditions Id never dreamed of.. That part of this sport is far more complicated than RC sloping.. and it's rather bewildering but I'm planning on winging it any way.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 12:59 AM
Joined Feb 2006
488 Posts
Dual Rates/Expo on RC Sailing

I am not sure I understand the need for DR/Expo on RC Sailing. It is relatively slow compared to RC Model Aircraft. Even at that most that I know of, use DR/Expo on 3D aerobatic planes, if ever at all.

It is probably a good idea to simplify controls, make sure servos neutralize to center and focus on tuning the boat and of course, racing tactics. Filipo can help you.

Hope to meet you someday.

Del
delperena is offline Find More Posts by delperena
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:51 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Del,
thanks a lot.. Main reason I was considering them is to simply tone down the ODOM's response to it's rudder.. Seems there are times moving fast and headed to weather especially that I seem to over correct too often with just the slightest touch.. so I think setting some negative exponential around center has probably taken care of this. As to the D/Rates tho, I agree that's probably not needed and I'll likely forget to flip back to Normal /100% after a long downwind run in particular..

As to tuning the boat and tactics... those skills appear to be a lifelong endeavor.. and I'm a long way from mastering either one... if ever.. But I do thank you Del, and yes please do come over and say hello Ok?
Thanks Again..
Regards,
JimS

Quote:
Originally Posted by delperena View Post
I am not sure I understand the need for DR/Expo on RC Sailing. It is relatively slow compared to RC Model Aircraft. Even at that most that I know of, use DR/Expo on 3D aerobatic planes, if ever at all.

It is probably a good idea to simplify controls, make sure servos neutralize to center and focus on tuning the boat and of course, racing tactics. Filipo can help you.

Hope to meet you someday.

Del
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:18 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Mark My words..

It's hard to race without marks.

I don't know the particulars but understand that due to a recent request by the City Parks and Rec folks, the 4 marks we typically have (two on the weather end, and two at the far downwind end of the pond).. Have all had to be removed as they are considered a water hazard but the Power Boat guys I guess.. In any case, I think it's still Ok to set your own marks out there if you pull them in daily after use and it's not a Power Boat Day.. and i am planning to make a couple .. so asking if anyone out there has a good idea on simple materials and techniques that allow for quickly setting a mark with a 12 foot lead weighted anchor line..

Yours in knowing where to go.. JimS
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:00 PM
France, Ile-de-France, Plaisir
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post

I don't know the particulars but understand that due to a recent request by the City Parks and Rec folks, the 4 marks we typically have (two on the weather end, and two at the far downwind end of the pond).. Have all had to be removed as they are considered a water hazard but the Power Boat guys I guess.. In any case, I think it's still Ok to set your own marks out there if you pull them in daily after use and it's not a Power Boat Day.. and i am planning to make a couple .. so asking if anyone out there has a good idea on simple materials and techniques that allow for quickly setting a mark with a 12 foot lead weighted anchor line..

The problem is the same all around the world!

Here are two links showing how we solve it in France (It's in French, but there are many pictures):

First, the making of buoys.

Next, how to set them on water, using a RC boat (the usage of real boats is forbidden on our pond).

Finally, the end of the day:

jpparisy is offline Find More Posts by jpparisy
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:45 PM
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Oct 2010
159 Posts
Race Marks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post

Jim,

I built race marks out of the foam swimming pool "noodles". I went overboard with mine and cast lead conterweights and attached them to wood dowels with a sliding anchor system that would allow them to adjust to changing tide levels. They could be simplified quite easily for your application.

Rich
rsgault is offline Find More Posts by rsgault
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:44 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpparisy View Post
The problem is the same all around the world!

Here are two links showing how we solve it in France (It's in French, but there are many pictures):
jpparisy
Thanks for the help.. I guess I'd need Google Translate to figure out how to get a login and passwd to see this info tho.. Regards jimS
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:47 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgault View Post
Jim,

I built race marks out of the foam swimming pool "noodles". I went overboard with mine and cast lead conterweights and attached them to wood dowels with a sliding anchor system that would allow them to adjust to changing tide levels. They could be simplified quite easily for your application.

Rich
Rick, i agree, and I may not go that fancy but really like the noodle idea and will wind up doing something very similar I'm pretty sure.. Thanks .. JimS