HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2009, 06:12 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,378 Posts
Discussion
Airfoilz Edge NX

I have not seen another thread on the Airfoliz Edge NX plane yet so I'm starting one. I got a kit from Paul as soon as he had them ready. However due to a health issue with my mom my building has been sidelined for the past couple months. However my 3 year old son asked me to work on a plane so he could hang out with me in the shop so I cleared out a spot and cracked open the kit. I'll post as many pics as I can but I can't promise a full on step by step build thread. There is a great thread done by Bighead93 of the extra here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1080862

The planes build the same other then a few minor differences. So join in if you have one of these planes and or feel free to ask any questions.

The kit is here: http://stores.3dxhobbies.com/-strse-...0NX/Detail.bok

Specs are:

Wingspan: 40"
Length: 35.5"
Weight: 18-20 oz
Wing Area: 350 sq in
Recommended Power: 150-200 Watt

More to come soon.

Steve
Vintauri is online now Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2009, 06:23 PM
Crash and Build
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Oct 2001
2,142 Posts
Subscribed
dpoles is offline Find More Posts by dpoles
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:20 PM
MN WATTS Master
Joined Jul 2003
7,378 Posts
Well I was able to make some progress today. The fuse sides are boding with some urethane glue and a bit of weight. The wing is also glued together with the spar in place. I started on the landing gear block and will sand it to fit once the fuse glue has setup by tomorrow.

I asked my son what color he thought it should be and he said blue. He also wants Mickey Mouse on it so I might have to be creative. However it's great to see them get excited about a plane they helped with and has a favorite character on it. My 5 year old has a couple favorite planes because of doing that.

Anyway tomorrow I'll work on the tail feathers and getting everything aligned. I'm hoping to have it together by the weekend and if all goes we'll I'll get it in the air too.

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:17 PM
MN WATTS Master
Joined Jul 2003
7,378 Posts
Sorry no pics tonight but I'll get them tomorrow. I got the gear mounting block and firewall plates and ply pieces on. Tomorrow I'll be hopefully working on the tail feathers and if I'm really lucky with my time mounting the wing.

For joinging the fuse I used Elmers urethane glue but I spread it really thin on one side then weighted the fuse down with some books and batteries as shown in the earlier pics. Today I was very happy to see the fuse was well glued with very minimal foaming at the seams. A little work with a sharp razor blade cleaned that right up. I'll try to show some pics of the seam when I get the camera back for posting pics.

More to come as the week goes on.

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:30 PM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
Subscribed. I just got mine. Just starting to look into the various pieces/parts and the CD.

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:00 PM
MN WATTS Master
Joined Jul 2003
7,378 Posts
more progress

I was able to get the wing mounted and the h-stab / elevators started. I fitted the wing with minimal sanding to the wing saddle. I then dry fitted the H stab in to make sure the wing and stab we're square and in alignment. Once I was sure I tacked the wing in place with some med ca. I then mixed up some epoxy for the wing fillets. Instead of micro ballons for filler I used baby powder. It mixes up well and leaves you with a epoxy paste that works much like the micro ballons but it's cheaper and easier on the lungs. Some painters tape helped control the overflow just be sure to pull it off before the epoxy sets.

I also uploaded some pics of the seam when using Urethane glue. If used sparingly it hardly foams up but the bond is strong. A little work with a razor blade will clean up any foaming quite quickly.

Tail feathers and control surfaces tomorrow. I'm still working on the paint scheme but hopefully I'll work it out in time to start on it this weekend while the weather looks windy.

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2009, 03:22 PM
Joined Oct 2007
168 Posts
Looking good..I like the baby powder trick. I'll have to give that a try next time.
nitrobeast is offline Find More Posts by nitrobeast
Old Oct 31, 2009, 07:40 PM
Joined May 2008
106 Posts
warning! warning! warning!

I have just completed my Edge but I nearly ruined it in the process. Following the instructions I went to the store for 30 minute epoxy. After two stops with no luck I stoped at Ace hardware but could only find 20 minute epoxy for bonding plastics. Well it's epoxy and foam is plastic so it should work fine. So the next step was to make the epoxy fillet on the wing joint. So I applied the epoxy and it looked good..... for a few minutes then I noticed something didn't look right. The wing foam was melting under the epoxy After the glue jelled I quickly pealed it off. About 80% of the foam under the epoxy was melted.

Well it was repairable with several applications of Gorrilla glue to fill the gaps and holes. So now I have a big lumpy glue joint but the joint is solid and the structure is sound. No need to worry now about trying to keep this one pretty.

So the moral of the story is for USA builders DO NOT USE ACE HARDWARE EPOXY FOR PLASTIC ON DEPRON FOAM. I can't speak for other brands but if it's not standard epoxy I would test it before use on your air frame.
This issue may have come up before but I've never seen it mentioned in the build threads. Always thought epoxy was safe.

Anyway I should maiden her in the mourning.
Loopnot is offline Find More Posts by Loopnot
Old Nov 01, 2009, 09:54 AM
Joined May 2008
106 Posts
lighter is not better

Maidened the Edge NX this mourning in about 8 to 10 mph winds. I'm running a BP 2217 950kv motor with a 10x5 apc on a 1000ma 3cell, it's a light setup but I don't have aa actual weight. Took off with good power and trimed out a little of the up elevator. The plane acted nose heavy and was very wobbly at low speed so I brought it in to land. It had almost no glide in the wind and touched down a couple feet short of the runway. Moved the battery to shift the cg from 3 3/4" to 4 1/4". Better, more neutral in pitch but still not tracking well at all until 3/4 throttle or better. Ran out of battery and hit the weeds short of the runway, nosed over and broke the prop. Installed a new prop, put on a 1300ma battery then noticed the rudder was loose. The epoxy on the rudder side of the bottom hinge did not hold and since CA will not bond to the plastic hinge material I made a field repair with hinge tape. The rudder was a little sloppy but flyable.

Flight two was better with the larger battery, low speed tracking was fair and harrier flight was manageable. The plane respondes well to the controls and the air frame is very stiff and solid in the air. My 3D skill is limited and with the wind I could not get a solid hover, knife edge was also though to hold in the wind, snaps, flips and knife edge spins were easy. The roll rate is pretty quick at full deflection of the ailerons. Droping into a power off elevator with full up stick still showed it was a bit nose heavy. Landing was much better at the 4 1/4" cg.

Flight three was with a 1800ma battery and 4 1/4" cg. Tracking was much improved in slow and harrier flight but speed and throttle response were slowed noticeably with the extra weight. The plane flew a little heavier and showed the nose heavyness a little more with the bigger battery. Other than that it flew about the same.

The plan for the next session will be to reepoxy the rudder hinge and try the cg back at 4 1/2 to 4 3/4 inches with the 1300 and 1800 batteries.

I am happy with the way the plane turned out but expected it to fly lighter and more floaty like a foamy with the more solid tracking of a balsa model. It is pretty though. My first two short landings in the weeds would have caused some minor damage to a balsa model, the Airfoilz just got a few bruises and a little dirty.

The one thing I would change on my next build would be the hinges. The supplied hinges are stong and functional but a hassel to install and glue. I would try Robart pin type hinges. Much easier to drill a hole in the balsa spar with a drill bit than carveing a slot with a hobby knife for the thick flat hinge. Even a thin ca hinge would make the job easier and cut out the mixing hassel of epoxy.

I think the plane is a good value for the price.
With calm conditions I hope to see more solid slow speed flight like I have seen in the videos.

Any experienced Airfoilz fliers got any tips for 3d flight set up.
Loopnot is offline Find More Posts by Loopnot
Old Nov 01, 2009, 10:04 AM
MN WATTS Master
Joined Jul 2003
7,378 Posts
Been busy with Halloween and a birthday party this weekend. I'm hoping to get some paint down and finish it up this week. I already decided to change the hinges. I prefer the tape hinges with blenderm. They held for 3+ years on my original airfoilz Yak so I'm doing the same here. Otherwise I would opt for the pin hinges.

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2009, 01:45 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,557 Posts
Any updates?
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
Old Nov 18, 2009, 01:56 PM
MN WATTS Master
Joined Jul 2003
7,378 Posts
I ended up at my moms for a week helping her after her surgery and then had to get caught up at work. I'm heading into the shop this afternoon to decide on either custom paint or using the standard decals. I'm leaning towards the decals as we're expecting the last of the nice weather now thru sat and then back to the 30's.

I'd like to get a flight or two on it before it's get seriously cold.

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2009, 09:31 AM
MN WATTS Master
Joined Jul 2003
7,378 Posts
Okay so sickness decended upon me this past week. However I did get a chance to get back at it last night. I started applying the decals from the kit. They are very good and stick well. I'm going to finish that up tonight and then continue installing the electronics. The plan is to get it in the air on friday. The weather is looking pretty good and I wont be doing any shopping that I can't do from my smart phone.

More pics hopefully tonight.

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2009, 04:17 PM
Joined Nov 2009
103 Posts
How are the Edge NX's flying? My old version Edge might be replaced with one of these. Do you believe 220 watts is adequate?
Maturo is offline Find More Posts by Maturo
Old Dec 06, 2009, 04:45 PM
MN WATTS Master
Joined Jul 2003
7,378 Posts
I hope to find out soon. The weather has turned cold here and the winds have picked up. I'm waiting for a decent day to take mine out.

Steve
RCG Plus Member