Nov 16, 2012, 07:44 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

advice of those who know more than I do

hello friends I need your help . I'm interested in a cheap helicopter with which I learn to fly and a person sell me a dynam e -razor 450 that is in good condition the cabin is almost intact except for the area where the frame is screwed only thing I noticed slightly beaten is the tail rotor and brass pinion with the engine needs to be changed ... He sold for $ 140 in addition to that I get a heli heli -max cp nano to repair ... also with the transmitter ... is a good deal? I forgot to tell you that I do not live in the U.S. I'm from Costa Rica and here there is not much to choose from ... would buy it there and bring it which cost me more money so I'm interested in this opportunity ... there anything I should check before buying ? or better not buy it ?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2012, 08:02 PM
Closed Account
The final decision is up to you, but I would strongly suggest to walk away from anything, that cannot be immediately demonstrated to work OK.
That means, ANY defect preventing it to fly the moment you ask for a demonstration, discharged batteries excluded, of course. But insist on a demonstration. A helicopter that does not fly, with a fair degree of certainty, hides flaws, and they are difficult enough when flawless....

Anything that flies, do look very careful for things that are or seem "not right", such as parts held together by tape, metal or plastic strips glued or screwed on, etc etc.

Don't be tempted by the low price, and don't agree to buy "because, hey, it doesn't fly but the guy looks trustworthy and it is an opportunity"...
Chances are, you will spend the price difference compared to new, on repairs before it even flies, and then some due things not being right.

There is a very small possibility that you can pick up a cheap heli and it turning out OK, but in 20 years or so, I have seen that only one or two times....

Brgds, Bert
Nov 16, 2012, 08:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967
The final decision is up to you, but I would strongly suggest to walk away from anything, that cannot be immediately demonstrated to work OK.
That means, ANY defect preventing it to fly the moment you ask for a demonstration, discharged batteries excluded, of course. But insist on a demonstration. A helicopter that does not fly, with a fair degree of certainty, hides flaws, and they are difficult enough when flawless....

Anything that flies, do look very careful for things that are or seem "not right", such as parts held together by tape, metal or plastic strips glued or screwed on, etc etc.

Don't be tempted by the low price, and don't agree to buy "because, hey, it doesn't fly but the guy looks trustworthy and it is an opportunity"...
Chances are, you will spend the price difference compared to new, on repairs before it even flies, and then some due things not being right.

There is a very small possibility that you can pick up a cheap heli and it turning out OK, but in 20 years or so, I have seen that only one or two times....

Brgds, Bert

thank you very much the truth is what I needed to read ... offer me another business that is a blade cpx nano v2 with many spare parts to sell it with 5 300mh batteries ... 3 batteries 500mh more ... The heli has brushless motors and gentleman also gives me the original rear engine ... this gentleman offered me flight demonstration I will try to upload a photo of the package
Nov 17, 2012, 12:44 PM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by laliux
thank you very much the truth is what I needed to read ... offer me another business that is a blade cpx nano v2 with many spare parts to sell it with 5 300mh batteries ... 3 batteries 500mh more ... The heli has brushless motors and gentleman also gives me the original rear engine ... this gentleman offered me flight demonstration I will try to upload a photo of the package
Heavily modified aircraft are another problem in this hobby. The Blade Nano does not come with brushless motors, and it uses 160mAh batteries. It's only been available for a couple months, so you gotta ask yourself... why would someone "upgrade" a helicopter and keep it only a few weeks and then want to sell it? The answer is probably the upgrades messed it up, and he didn't like it before the upgrades, so now he doesn't want it at all. The Blade Nano in stock configuration is a very nice helicopter - any "upgrades" you put on it are pretty likely to just screw it up.

So again, make the guy give you a flight demo. I bet it's messed up from the modifications.
Nov 17, 2012, 01:00 PM
Closed Account
Even when it is not butchered up, keep in mind that more power is not always a beginners fortune, and the fact that he can for example, tic-toc it until the battery is empty, that doesn't mean you can.

Brgds, Bert
Nov 17, 2012, 01:25 PM
Cranky old fart
The Helimax CP nano is actually a Walkera 4G3. It's obsolete and has always been a very problematic model. I would avoid it under any circumstances.
Nov 17, 2012, 10:55 PM
Get to the choppa!
I will leave the specifics of your question to the experienced guys here. But I want to interject that experience tells me there is no such thing as a cheap helicopter.

You either pay less upfront and more down the line, or more upfront and less down the line.
Nov 17, 2012, 11:39 PM
First both helis are not beginners helis. My advice run from this and research this forum. Many vendors are worldwide shipping. V911 RTF nice starter. They are to release V912 soon. New is better than used. If items for sale are not flying
find something that is. E-Razor RTF is $190-$200.00 new. Other heli is outdated not that good even new. I know this may look good but C/P helis are
complicated and can get busted up bad. 450 size is serious heli. Good luck and choose wisely.
Nov 18, 2012, 12:29 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFDelie
I will leave the specifics of your question to the experienced guys here. But I want to interject that experience tells me there is no such thing as a cheap helicopter.

You either pay less upfront and more down the line, or more upfront and less down the line.
That is one of the best statements ever!

Brgds, Bert
Nov 18, 2012, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by laliux
I think you mean Blade mCPX V2 not, nano CPX V2. The batteries you mention also seem more in line with what would be used with the mCPX V2.

Quick Reply