HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2009, 04:12 PM
Joined Oct 2007
219 Posts
Discussion
Glue or Solder?

I received my Octura flex cable and prop shaft today and curious which is the better way to join these together. On the Offshore Electrics website under the how to they recomend glueing the flex shaft into the prop shaft and the instructions that come with the flex cable say solder. I'll be running a 550 motor. Should I glue it or solder it? If glueing it would JB Weld work as well as the Locktite? Opinions welcome.
Offshore sell this cable and shaft already joined so I'm assumeing they used the glued method
Thank you in advance
PZRWEST is offline Find More Posts by PZRWEST
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2009, 05:03 PM
Davenport Iowa
Joined Jan 2006
174 Posts
Flex cable and stub

Hi
I have used both methods . Octura doesn't drill the hole in the stub shaft deep enough for me to use Loctite. You would have to get a $15 bottle of Loctite 603,648 or 638 sleeve retainer. J B weld and other glues are a sure way to loose your stub shaft. I like to use the Loctite way but I'm set up to use it. In your case ,solder may be best. If you are good with soldering ,its a time honered way to get this done. A silver bearing solder like Stay Bright is often used for this .
n.h.schmidt
n.h.schmidt is offline Find More Posts by n.h.schmidt
Old Jan 26, 2009, 07:47 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Apr 2002
391 Posts
What Ned said the loctite works great
JimClark is offline Find More Posts by JimClark
Old Jan 27, 2009, 09:08 PM
Joined Oct 2007
219 Posts
I decided to go with the solder method. I dug out my old and I do mean old heavy duty soldering iron, the kind not used for electronic work. I tinned the end of the cable then filled the hole in the stub shaft with solder the sweated the two together then dressed up the joint. Thank you for all the comments.... Harold
PZRWEST is offline Find More Posts by PZRWEST