HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:54 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,396 Posts
Sorry to hear that metalguy. . I took mine out for a few flights last night and it was wonderful - this plane looks so good and it was calm so it wasn't bumping around either. I wasn't able to nail any landings though; the wheels always seem to find a dip between tufts of grass on the soccer field and I get a gentle nose-over. (I can land it on the simulator at Waco Field with its rough grass all the time with throttle blips.). Takeoff from this grass is really a challenge so I just hand launch - it climbs up and away without the need for me grab the stick or anything - how nice.

When I showed my sister-in-law my airplanes she zeroed right in on his one for its looks,

Oh, tried 2S like some guys did on YouTube and man, was it scary - so low powered. (They had really smooth grass, those lucky guys.). The real Fokker could "hang on its prop" for several seconds and that's exactly what I can do with 3S and a 10x5 so I'll stick with that.
jdwolters is offline Find More Posts by jdwolters
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:29 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Here's mine, had it about 4 years. Motor is KDA2215

Fokker D-VII with landing (3 min 45 sec)
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Last edited by victapilot; Aug 08, 2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added a landing view
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:15 AM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Joined Jan 2008
1,396 Posts
Good job - I like the multiple views. (I hate it when it lands off camera; I have number of videos like that ). What beautiful smooth grass.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:18 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwolters View Post
Good job - I like the multiple views. (I hate it when it lands off camera; I have number of videos like that ). What beautiful smooth grass.
Thanks! That landing off camera was a good one, but a few that I did catch on camera were all tip-overs. Some slow motion gentle tip, others more like the Olympics floor routines. I could do a blooper reel, but everyone knows this plane does it.

When the grass goes dormant in winter and packs down its much better.

<edit> added a landing view to the above video.
Last edited by victapilot; Aug 08, 2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:19 AM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Joined Jan 2008
1,396 Posts
Woo hoo - perfect landings!

You know how the Fokker likes to nose over at the last second while landing on grass? Except for one time that's all I've ever seen as long as I have owned this plane - gentle nose overs. Last night the wind direction was different from normal and I was landing on the other end of the field where the grass is beaten down more and ... every landing was perfect!

Ps: in general the grass is deep enough to prevent takeoffs - the wheels stay planted and the tail lifts up with full elevator trying to keep it down. I've been hand launching which works really well; the plane climbs away with no need for me to even grab the stick.
Last edited by jdwolters; Aug 22, 2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:49 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
I have the cg back about 3/8 in from recommended, plane lands better, yet still flies fine.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:30 AM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,956 Posts
I miss mine! I may just have to get another..... It is such a good flyer.------Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:23 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Joined Jan 2008
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
I miss mine! I may just have to get another..... It is such a good flyer.------Metalguy
... even though it flies like a biplane . No, wait -- it is a biplane! I guess it's OK then.
Last edited by jdwolters; Aug 28, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:58 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,956 Posts
I am tempted...my local HS has one at $89.........
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:34 PM
Outstanding in a gravity field
New Haven, CT., USA
Joined Feb 2006
2,111 Posts
Quote:
Go for it!
They make a quality product, but I still recommend that you inventory, and inspect the contents of the kit for damage, etc, before laying down the denaro.

Take your time on the build. There's some great ideas here on this thread.

What paint scheme do you have planned for it?

I invite you to view my blog page on this subject of the Great Planes Electrifly WWI Fokker D.VII EP ARF

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1233628

Keep us updated on your build.....we like pictures, too.

I myself need to repair the bottom wing, and an upper wing 'N' strut mounting point,.......and to learn how to do a better job at landing it without tearing it up.
Max Headspeed is offline Find More Posts by Max Headspeed
Last edited by Max Headspeed; Dec 09, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:42 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Mine is still going strong, flew it last week. They are light and quite strong, no regrets on my side.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:00 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,956 Posts
I miss mine, nothing I have flies like it did. It would be nice to get as a kit, and not someone elses' thrown together display, like my first one was. I had to make some new struts, and some other things were also pretty messed up before I got it. I got it straightened out, and it flew SO nice. One of the guys at my club said he had had one, and his never flew as well as mine did! LOL! Need to grab this one before it disappears!-------Metalguy
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:41 PM
United States, CA, Ridgecrest
Joined Aug 2007
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu5UCEdn7-Y
Way cool...
peskeybobcat is offline Find More Posts by peskeybobcat
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:44 PM
Marx and Lennon
NW Atlanta
Joined Jan 2007
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu5UCEdn7-Y
Wow! What a wonderful video! The banjo music is a nice touch. Is that you playing?

This week we maidened my plane. It has that very nice aluminum motor mount from SOTOG and a 1300 mAh HK battery. We set the CG at 2-1/8" from LE of upper wing. Jeepers it was wild to fly! Used the recommended throws but my low $$ radio didn't have low rate. But slowed down to land, it was great. Anyway, this success spawned a WW I movie fest beginning with the new "Red Baron" movie then Flyboys and ending with Blue Max. Thanks for all the great stuff on this plane to all of you regulars. I'll be back with photos, video--if possible, and reports on the second flight w/adjusted CD and throws.

Fruh weihnachten, meine freunde!
S_Dave is offline Find More Posts by S_Dave
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:10 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Thanks guys! Not me playing, I am a big fan of bluegrass though. I did try to find German music, maybe Wagner!

I got mine cheap, scratch and dent, was missing the battery cover, so mine is home made and lacks the simulated engine. I did get the side engine panels, but didn't use them.

I do like the work some folks have done including the dull finish, looks more scale. Like most of my planes, this one is best viewed in the air!!