HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2005, 03:18 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Where to buy?

Hey guys... I was out flying on Sunday and met up with a bunch of great guys (about 10 pilots)... LOL -- I thought I was the only one to ever use that field!

Anyway, one of the guys introduced me to flying wings. I had never seen one fly before, but I think I'm hooked... He had four of them -- some smaller fast ones, and one larger slower one he was using for aerial video. I really like how the pusher prop is behind the camera (no prop in the field of vision).

He built his from scratch, but I'm not that confident. Where can I purchase a LARGE wing (4 to 5 foot wingspan?) which will fly slow, and lift my 7-ounce digital camera?

I'm also going to need some help with the power system. The local guy was using a Himax outrunner (maybe a HC2808-0860?)...

thanks for your help!
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2005, 04:24 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
http://www.flyingfoam.com/products.html

Look at the bottom of the page The Mother Ship may be what you are looking for size wise..

Im sure a white foam structur could be hacked up to hold the camera...

have a look here there are a few videos from much smaller planes...

http://viscovich.dhs.org
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Nov 07, 2005, 06:24 PM
Look out for my plane!
Michigan
Joined Sep 2005
432 Posts
Actually they are quite easy to build and I would not hesitate to give it a try if I was you. There are a ton of free plans that you can download (ZagNutz, Mugi, etc.) that give you precise placement of hardware, etc. You can use foam or coroplast (2-3mm) which you can get pretty cheap online or from Homedepot, etc. A little tape, glue and spars and you are all set. They are pretty hard to mess up to the point that they do not fly - and not to mention if you build it yourself you can repair it yourself too!

Just my thoughts.. not sure what to suggest in terms of commercial wings as I have not done that but I am sure a lot of people can give you suggestions though.
ElSeeker is offline Find More Posts by ElSeeker
Old Nov 07, 2005, 08:30 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Yeah, "The Mother Ship" is FOUR POUNDS with a tiny little battery! That does not sound like what I'm looking for.

Can you please post a link to some plans I can download? I've never built anything from scratch, but I've been thinking of buying a couple of sheets of Depron...
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Nov 07, 2005, 10:02 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
(4 to 5 foot wingspan?)
You may be hard pressed to get to this wing span with out going way up in weight unless your looking toward say a 2 meter motor glider. which may be a better AP than a wing at least for stability..

There are not many built up wings these days of foan construction.. But a simple wing in the 40 to 50" span may work for your AP work..

Which may still be in the 25 to 25 oz mark..

There are a few and i will look to see if i can find any plans but you may have to refine your design needs a bit. to work it all out.

Your Camera is 7.0 oz to that will need to be added to the total weight and seeing as 3D is not what you are after a .5 to 1 power to weight may work well provided you have the wing area..

Will look around and post back later...
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Nov 07, 2005, 11:06 PM
junkman
United States, AL, Madison
Joined May 2004
219 Posts
Look at unicorn site. I think all you need to do is to search for unicorn wings.
Good Luck
Douglas Cheatwo is offline Find More Posts by Douglas Cheatwo
Old Nov 07, 2005, 11:25 PM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
Red: Great timing! Justin at www.edgerc.com is having a 2 for 1 sale right now. He is moving his operation this week and the sale is to say thanks to his customers and to sweeten the deal b/c there may be a couple of weeks delay on orders due to the move. He has great customer service and his wings are nice. I have the P-250 which is a FAST 20" wing. Not what you want, but a great wing. It was my first wing. Fortunately it was tough enough to get me through the learning curve.

You should look at the Overlord 48" or Devastator 36". He also has a very cool forward swept Bird of Prey. There are build threads on RC groups on all of his stuff and he has good videos of most on his web site. Whatever kit you buy before Nov. 17, he will throw in a free PCW. The PCW is also a 20" wing but it is slower and lighter than the P-250. For the price of one kit you get the big one plus a pocket wing for when your ready. BTW, if you ask he will substitute the P-250 for the PCW.
Cary Reeves is offline Find More Posts by Cary Reeves
Old Nov 08, 2005, 02:46 AM
Rc nut
Biggest little City
Joined Apr 2005
219 Posts
Get a 48" devestator then cut it to a 36" when you feel ready, thats what I did. Two planes in one.

Justin
Jman44 is offline Find More Posts by Jman44
Old Nov 08, 2005, 04:14 AM
Robots... robots everywhere
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2003
2,060 Posts
maybe the queen bee from http://www.windrider.com.hk
i saw a guy sloping it, awsome!!!

Justin at http://www.edgerc.com also cuts custom wings, and is really helpful.
minifly is offline Find More Posts by minifly
Old Nov 08, 2005, 07:57 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,172 Posts
Hello Red. Glad you are joining the wing club They are very addicting.
I know a 4 foot wing would tote a camera, but I believe airplanes are best for that. I know a lot of guys do it. That is just my opinion.
I think the smaller wings are more fun and can take crashes easier.
All I know is since I bought a wing a few months ago my airplane projects have all been put on the backburner,although I put in about 3 hours on my Pitts last sunday,(that doesn't go far with one of them)
Just spend some time here and you will no doubt get addicted.
Good luck
Crowfly is offline Find More Posts by Crowfly
Old Nov 08, 2005, 08:42 AM
Look out for my plane!
Michigan
Joined Sep 2005
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
Can you please post a link to some plans I can download? I've never built anything from scratch, but I've been thinking of buying a couple of sheets of Depron...
No problem... Here are a few that are easy to build and fly.

Solid white foam

Mugi Evo (simple fan fold foam or coroplast)

ZagNutz (FFF or coroplast also)

Wally Wing (never tried but it is a simple design from a foam plane purchased from WalMart)

Hope these give you some ideas of how easy it is to build them. I have built 4 Mugi's (FFF and coroplast both) and it usually takes 4-8 hours total to build it from scratch. You dont really need many supplies either - foam, tape, glue, hobby knife, etc. Nothing expensive either - even the foam and coroplast is pretty inexpensive.

For more info you can also check out the Foamies Forum to get more ideas on home built planes made from FFF (Fan Fold Foam)

Good luck and dont forget to ask lots of questions because that is how we all learn - or in my case, still learn!!
ElSeeker is offline Find More Posts by ElSeeker
Old Nov 08, 2005, 11:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
rumme is offline Find More Posts by rumme
Old Nov 08, 2005, 07:16 PM
ImNotAPilotIJustPlay1onTV
Reno, NV
Joined Feb 2003
781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minifly
maybe the queen bee from http://www.windrider.com.hk
i saw a guy sloping it, awsome!!!
A buddy of mine here in Reno has an electrified Queenbee.

Flies on twin 8 cell FAUP's (16 total), and a large brushless motor. Can carry an extra 2 - 3 lbs of candy for the candy drop at easter.

CORRECTION: 2lbs was the max payload

The thing is HUGE !
karakoram is offline Find More Posts by karakoram
Last edited by karakoram; Nov 08, 2005 at 08:21 PM.