HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2014, 05:47 AM
Joined Mar 2010
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emintaka View Post
The foils look to have an extremely narrow chord. Have we formed a view yet on how effective they are?
Hi Emintaka

Its a Creed fin. I think the designer Craig Richards uses them as standard in his designs. It was given to me by another mate. The rudder is made by another mate, Joe Robbertse, not sure what design. Too early to decide if theyre all perfect for the boat, and to be frank, I am not that clued up as to appreciate the differences. I have been told to maybe get a different design rudder in bigger waves to see if it tacks bettter. But Im a long way from that as its early days with the boat. So far, it seems very fast, I just need to learn to sail her well. My B suit is approximately 10 years old, so that will be the first change I will make when I can afford it.
noclue is offline Find More Posts by noclue
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2014, 04:53 PM
Joined May 2013
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
Hi Emintaka

Its a Creed fin. I think the designer Craig Richards uses them as standard in his designs. It was given to me by another mate. The rudder is made by another mate, Joe Robbertse, not sure what design. Too early to decide if theyre all perfect for the boat, and to be frank, I am not that clued up as to appreciate the differences. I have been told to maybe get a different design rudder in bigger waves to see if it tacks bettter. But Im a long way from that as its early days with the boat. So far, it seems very fast, I just need to learn to sail her well. My B suit is approximately 10 years old, so that will be the first change I will make when I can afford it.
Looks good, and also much narrower than the fins I'm accustomed to. Which is why I ask if we have any comparative performance data?
Emintaka is offline Find More Posts by Emintaka
Old Dec 20, 2014, 09:41 PM
Joined Mar 2010
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emintaka View Post
Looks good, and also much narrower than the fins I'm accustomed to. Which is why I ask if we have any comparative performance data?
By all accounts Dave Creed is one of the more respected fin designers in the UK. I dont know how to get hold of him, but Im sure someone can put you in touch or someone can offfer an opinion as to the differences. It may even be an interesting topic here for someone to comment on as to the differences in fins and hiw they may effect performance. I would certainly be interested!
noclue is offline Find More Posts by noclue
Old Dec 23, 2014, 02:10 AM
Joined May 2012
89 Posts
G'Day noclue,

Any chance of telling us how far back the fin is from the bow. From photos it looks a long way back. This can sometimes create a problem with tacking. And can you give us some of the fin measurements s it does look to have a very thin.

Thanks
Basil
basildog is offline Find More Posts by basildog
Old Dec 23, 2014, 03:02 AM
Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2010
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basildog View Post
G'Day noclue,

Any chance of telling us how far back the fin is from the bow. From photos it looks a long way back. This can sometimes create a problem with tacking. And can you give us some of the fin measurements s it does look to have a very thin.

Thanks
Basil
The photo is a bit deceptive. The leading edge is about 50cm from the bow, but NoClue can confirm. The centre of the mast is about 15mm in front of the fin. If you look at the mast position in the other photos, you will see its quite vanilla.

This boat has no problem tacking in most conditions, but it was a bit sluggish when there was a big chop running, but that being said it was no worse than the Goth variants I have seen. I am spoilt with my current boat, which tacks very easily.

The real problem is its very fast in a straight line, but likes to sail in straight lines
It does not hunt lifting shifts upwind, so if the boat is far away its easy to sail too low.

I might try a variant with the mast closer to the fins centre of effort than is the current standard. That may help to add just a touch of weather helm. A Bantock style fin may also change the boats characteristics for the better... or not

The Creedy fin pictured has a chord of 85mm at the hull and tapers down to about 60mm.
Craig Richards is offline Find More Posts by Craig Richards
Old Dec 23, 2014, 08:08 AM
Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2010
91 Posts
I have few projects to keep me busy in the new year
Craig Richards is offline Find More Posts by Craig Richards
Old Dec 23, 2014, 04:57 PM
Joined May 2013
119 Posts
Re the Burn, full disclosure for the data base:

It was intended to be a top of the range rocket and it was loosely based on a classic Australian surf boat - I mean, can you think of a hull shape less likely to nosedive? Accordingly the buoyancy was concentrated way forward and the stern sections reduced to the absolute minimum. The high end numbers looked really good so despite predictions that with the weird rocker line it would never sail properly, the build went ahead.

Turns out the boat drives sweetly in all conditions and up through the range is there or thereabouts. However, at the top of A, performance drops off badly, particularly downwind - which was its raison d'etre in the first place. Against my Britpop, it nosedives much earlier and of course ends up nowhere.

Another theory exploded. But fear not, I have a new one.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 05:05 PM
Joined May 2013
119 Posts
Just checking interpretation. As I read the rule below and looking at the diagram H.2, there is nothing to prevent a flared bow, but I would welcome comfirmation

D.2.2
(b) Except for trunking for the keel and rudder, the hull shall not have:
(1) Voids in the waterplane and/or the underwater profile,
(2) Hollows in the plan view and/or the underwater profile that exceed 3 mm,
(3) Transverse hollows in the undersurface of the hull that exceed 3 mm when tested parallel to the waterplane as in figure H.2.

Old Dec 23, 2014, 06:27 PM
Canada, BC, Strathcona
Joined Jul 2011
536 Posts
I read the rule the same way - I think you are correct.

Items D.2.2.b 1 and 3 relate to below the waterline.

To me, item 2 speaks to plan view and says that if you 'pinch in' a waist, it is limited to 3mm.

So a flaired bow is fine.

John
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Dec 23, 2014, 06:57 PM
Joined May 2013
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball View Post
I read the rule the same way - I think you are correct.

Items D.2.2.b 1 and 3 relate to below the waterline.

To me, item 2 speaks to plan view and says that if you 'pinch in' a waist, it is limited to 3mm.

So a flaired bow is fine.

John
Thanks, John