SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:38 PM
United States, OH, London
Joined Apr 2012
22 Posts
Discussion
servo/channel question

I an getting ready to get a skywalker for fpv. question is i have a 5 channel radio and a 7 channel reciver. The skywalker requires 4 servos. Does that = one channel for each servo?

4 servos for skywalker plus 2 for pan tilt = 6 servos does 6 servos = 6 channels?

I have a spektrum dx5e and a ar7000 7 channel reciver.

Can I do pan/tilt with this set up?
ptcrash is offline Find More Posts by ptcrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:08 PM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,854 Posts
The servos will occupy 3 channels: elevator, aileron, and rudder. The two aileron servos will be connected to one channel, so they work together. A fourth channel will control the motor. With only one channel left, you only get pan or tilt, unless you get a transmitter with another channel. Or, you could skip plugging in the rudder servo; many fly without rudder anyway. You would have to program your transmitter to NOT use a stick to control that channel, so you could use it for camera control.
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:52 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,795 Posts
A five channel transmitter will only work the first five channels of any receiver, of five or more channels.

You seem to want -
Throttle - 1
Aileron - 2
Elevator -3
Rudder - 4
Pan - 5
Tilt - 6

Which your transmitter isn't really capable of in the normal set up.

You could run Rudder and Aileron off the Aileron channel, (quite feasible), then use the Rudder channel for Pan. It would mean the Tilt would have to work off the 5th channel, a switch, which would only give you two positions.

The much better route would be to get a 7 channel transmitter, even a second hand one.

Another point is, 6 servos could be the absolute maximum, (or too much), for the BEC circuit if using the standard ESC unit. Much safer to get a separate UBEC to run all the servos.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:04 AM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,701 Posts
You could eliminate the ailerons and fly with just rudder. The plane is basically a glider. Ailerons would give you more control, but are not absolutely necessary.
tacx is online now Find More Posts by tacx