to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2015, 01:19 AM
Find More Posts by icarus the 2nd
Fly as high as the sun
Joined Oct 2014
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Gee, that is a good flight time! I get 6mins to 7mins, but fly at 70% throttle (22Amps approx) to have a 'clean linear' flight manner. It doesn't like flying slow, it turns to more of a 'wallow' then - especially around turns.
No wallow turns or unclean flights with the setup I'm using now, I was cruising around at 50-60% looking very scale.

Used those same Zippy Flightmax 4S 3000mAh 20C in my FMS stuka yesterday and got 12min30 secs and even 14mins30 secs (!!!) while flying scale at 50-60% throttle, landed with 15% left in the lipos though all the cells still had 3.72V in it

Good lipos if u ask me
icarus the 2nd is online now Find More Posts by icarus the 2nd
Old Jun 24, 2015, 01:41 PM
Find More Posts by lordmureth
United Kingdom, Cnwll
Joined Apr 2010
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus the 2nd View Post
Lordmureth, try to heat the servo somewhat where it sticks to the plastic, maybe the glue will loosen up a bit.

I'd try a heatgun or a hairdryer but be carefull with the foam of course
Not been able to reply for a few days - been insanely busy - but just like to say thanks for your help.

In the end I tracked down the problem; it wasn't the servo or pushrod - it was the factory installed screw that connects the "brace" to the elevators themselves. Have tightened it now and there's no free movement in the elevator at all - and it centres every time! yay!

Having taken that bleddy wing off about 6 or 7 times now, I might be getting there - I think there's a loose connection in on of the retracts (in the wiring rather than the connectors) so that's the next challenge - it might even fly one day!
lordmureth is offline Find More Posts by lordmureth
Old Jun 24, 2015, 03:47 PM
Find More Posts by karltrek
Santa Cruz, CA
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Sep 2011
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengarang View Post
owner
Welcome to the family.
karltrek is offline Find More Posts by karltrek
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:14 PM
Find More Posts by tengarang
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
4,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karltrek View Post
Welcome to the family.
Thanks Karl, before the airshow we need to formation just to make sure shes tip top
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
Old Jun 25, 2015, 02:30 AM
Find More Posts by karltrek
Santa Cruz, CA
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Sep 2011
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengarang View Post
Thanks Karl, before the airshow we need to formation just to make sure shes tip top
Of course.
karltrek is offline Find More Posts by karltrek
Old Jun 28, 2015, 03:10 AM
United Kingdom, Cnwll
Joined Apr 2010
217 Posts
Well, had my maiden flight yesterday - took a few attempts to get up in the air due to long grass, but once we'd found a suitable area of the patch she leapt into the sky - had full up-elevator on to keep her from nosing over, and suddenly she was up in about 5 metres! No sign of stalling, she carried on up at about 45 degrees until I got level.... first moment of panic over, then an uneventful flight until I came in for the landing approach... and the power died at the far end of the turn in for landing; managed to glide down into a distant corner of the field (down into a valley where I couldn't see the plane!!!)

Seemingly I made a perfect blind landing, as when we found it there was no damage!!! Found out that the LIPO (Turnigy 4s 2200mah) was down to only 10%, so the ESC's must have shut down motor power. It was fully charged before I went to the field; flight time was 4m15s - but I'm guessing the pre-flight testing and aborted attempts to get airborne would have taken the charge down to about 90%.

So, very lucky to get away with that! What's the largest LIPO that can fit directly in without modding too much? Have tried a 4s GensAce 3300mah and there's no way that will go in.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 03:15 AM
Fly as high as the sun
Joined Oct 2014
225 Posts
Turnigy or Zippy Flightmax 3000mAh 20C lipos fit without enlarging the bay, just need a hair trim on the plastic that connects the fuse to the nose cone.

50-60% throttle give me around 10mins flights, flying with more power only 5 mins ...
Old Jun 28, 2015, 03:15 AM
Fly as high as the sun
Joined Oct 2014
225 Posts
Congratz on the maiden btw, If she flies again it was a succesfull maiden
Old Jun 28, 2015, 09:13 AM
United Kingdom, Cnwll
Joined Apr 2010
217 Posts
thank, will get me one of those! Was averaging around 60% throttle for most of the flight, was just taking it easy while I got it trimmed and got the feel for the plane, and to save battery charge! Battery was about 18 months old I guess, but I'm still surprised I got so little time from it.