HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2011, 05:00 PM
Dunedin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
191 Posts
Awesome, thanks torsten. Saving weight and money on less servos is all good. Now if only 6mmflyrc would get back to me.
JMSR is offline Find More Posts by JMSR
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2011, 08:06 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,614 Posts
FYI, I just realized my Su-37 construction guide link was dead, so I just posted the file in post #5 of this thread (and on my blog here on RCG).
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Apr 30, 2011, 06:15 PM
Dunedin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
191 Posts
Got good news from 6mmflyrc. The deal is in the works.
Old May 02, 2011, 11:39 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,967 Posts
I spent yesterday and this morning masking mine for painting. Now that the power is back on after 6 days without, I can start airbrushing!
T3chDad is online now Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log Update!
Old May 03, 2011, 06:47 PM
Dunedin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
191 Posts
Paid for and ordered. Should be about 2 weeks or so.
Old May 06, 2011, 02:24 PM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
846 Posts
For the camouflage do you put masking tape cut to shape?
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old May 06, 2011, 02:54 PM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,967 Posts
I guess that depends on what camo scheme you're planning on using. Most of the Flanker paint schemes have hard lines. I use masking tape. On my latest Flanker project, I used Tamiya 6mm masking to layout all the shapes and then filled in the areas not to be painted with blue painters tape. I airbrushed the other two colors and then removed the masking.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log Update!
Old May 09, 2011, 08:56 PM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,967 Posts
Finished!!!!!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by T3chDad; May 09, 2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old May 09, 2011, 09:21 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Man, I still wanna do one of these as a Su30 2 seater..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old May 10, 2011, 12:53 AM
North weald Wing
Åfjord, Norway
Joined Jan 2010
40 Posts
I maidened my two seater 100% su- 37 yesterday. It`s unpainted so no pictures or video yet.......... and wow what a feeling flying this ship. A friend of mine gave it a gently toss upwards while i gave it half throttle. it was allmost touching the ground before it picked up speed and started to climb out. had to give it two clicks to balance the ailerons. beside of that, everything was perfect, it had smooth movements and performed like a bullet at full throttle. I landed after four or five big rounds at our flyingfield and put her gently down. even at slow speed she is controllable. I`m so glad I started this project, and now I can give her some paint.

My setup is: Two GH parkjets with two 30 amp esc. Just two taileron servos and a 3s 2200 lipo. No ext bec this time:-)

Now I can start to think how to get my 150% f-14 airborne. Its just to big to handlaunch, maybe I can use a bungee, but I`m afraid my propellers will touch the bungee.......Ideas anyone

Terje
thaltis is offline Find More Posts by thaltis
Old May 10, 2011, 02:34 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,614 Posts
Congratulations, Terje! Glad to hear it flew well for you.
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old May 10, 2011, 01:34 PM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3chDad View Post
I guess that depends on what camo scheme you're planning on using. Most of the Flanker paint schemes have hard lines. I use masking tape. On my latest Flanker project, I used Tamiya 6mm masking to layout all the shapes and then filled in the areas not to be painted with blue painters tape. I airbrushed the other two colors and then removed the masking.
Thanks,
One problem I have is that I am making it out of grey depron so I won't be able to paint light colours as I was thinking a blue and yellow scheme. Does it work on grey depron?
Jim
Old May 10, 2011, 01:35 PM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaltis View Post
I maidened my two seater 100% su- 37 yesterday. It`s unpainted so no pictures or video yet.......... and wow what a feeling flying this ship. A friend of mine gave it a gently toss upwards while i gave it half throttle. it was allmost touching the ground before it picked up speed and started to climb out. had to give it two clicks to balance the ailerons. beside of that, everything was perfect, it had smooth movements and performed like a bullet at full throttle. I landed after four or five big rounds at our flyingfield and put her gently down. even at slow speed she is controllable. I`m so glad I started this project, and now I can give her some paint.

My setup is: Two GH parkjets with two 30 amp esc. Just two taileron servos and a 3s 2200 lipo. No ext bec this time:-)

Now I can start to think how to get my 150% f-14 airborne. Its just to big to handlaunch, maybe I can use a bungee, but I`m afraid my propellers will touch the bungee.......Ideas anyone

Terje
You could put retracts on it or just plain wheels
Old May 11, 2011, 08:50 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,967 Posts
Done!

Let’s review....

I built one of these almost three years ago. It was totaled in November of last year after a mid-air collision with a 3D foamy. I had to build a new one! I tried to make this one better than its predecessor and I think I succeeded on most counts. There is much more detailing on this one and I attempted several new techniques with good results. I tried to exaggerate some of the appearances like larger decals, more pronounced panel lines and more contrast in the paint scheme. She has the same power plant as the first one and controls are ailerons, elevons and rudder. I tried my best to hide all the linkages for the control surfaces so you wouldn’t immediately notice them (the rudders were a challenge). She flies quite different from the original. Not better or worse...just different. I think she flies more like the real thing might fly. After five flights I’m starting to get a feel for her. I know this jet is capable of more, so this won’t be the last you hear from me.

The video was compiled from two flights yesterday (flights four and five of the plane). I hope you enjoy it...it’s meant to be funny...I don’t take myself that seriously. If anyone has any questions, I’ll be happy to try and help.

Specifications:
  • 26" Wingspan/single motor/non-thrust-vectoring version
  • AUW 32oz
  • Scorpion 45A Commander ESC
  • E-Flight Six 2700kv motor
  • APC 6x4P prop
  • 2200mAh 3S 35C LiPo
  • Static WOT - 42.5A 505W
  • Best clocked speed is right at 100mph

World Premier Video: (MUST watch this one)
Project Phoenix (Yellow 13 Mission 3) (4 min 45 sec)

Flight Envelope Testing (Cobra/High-Alpha):
Su-37 Flight Envelope Testing (2 min 12 sec)

Controls, Throws, Directions and Flat-Spins:
Control Throws, Directions, and Flat Spins.... (3 min 6 sec)

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by T3chDad; May 19, 2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old May 11, 2011, 09:41 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2004
189 Posts
WOW! Plane looks fantastic, flying is fantastic and video editing is just hilarious
I cannot believe how well it flies without thrust-vectoring.

I started building mine about 3 years ago and have still not finished it, however I find your latest creation very inspiring. Perhaps I will ditch the TV and set it up with a single motor.

Your flat-spins are impressive.
Helgeo is offline Find More Posts by Helgeo