HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2009, 11:49 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,405 Posts

yanco -
No e-mails recieved from you. Try your private messages again - my e-mail address is there.

Tamiya and others make tons of 1/35 scale military figures. And if you're a sculptor, Preiser makes "adam" figures in many scales. Excellent quality, high cost, assemble body parts into desired poses and add clothes.
Preiser link to 1/32 scale Adam figures:
http://www.eurorailhobbies.com/erh/e...stock=PR-63900

Another thought - If sailing for the visual effect (I sail for that and to take pics that try to capture a "real" feel) you might consider an outboard drive. Easy to take on/off and easy to build. Will allow you to maneuver and stay with the wind. Will not be strong enough to overpower the sails and sail back directly into the wind though.
Drives turn with rudder - very good steering response.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Last edited by DanL; Sep 01, 2009 at 12:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2009, 12:35 PM
Painesville, Oh. U.S.A.
Joined Jan 2009
89 Posts
Absolutely beautiful ships Sir, and yer line drawings look fine to this Engineer.

I too would like to see some shots of your mechanicals beneath yer decks sir!
capt_redde is offline Find More Posts by capt_redde
Old Sep 01, 2009, 02:14 PM
Joined Aug 2006
382 Posts
Yancovitch, I am amazed by your ships! Fantastic! I also wanted to mention to you that I borrowed one of your pictures to post on a R/C Groups sailing forum because I wanted to make sure they also saw your fine work (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...#post13004508). This aforementioned sailing forum is a large 155 page thread involving a group of guys that are building & sailing large scale square rig ships, primarily from kits produced by Philip Roberts of Steel, Chapman & Hutchinson Ltd - a very talented model maker from Palo Alto, California. By the way, if you go to look at this forum, you might want to select the "last page" and work backwards, otherwise, you will spend the whole day paging through it! Involved with this thread you will find DanL and Paratrooper, who have finished their excellent models, and are very active sailors.
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
Old Sep 01, 2009, 08:40 PM
Joined Oct 2006
854 Posts
thanks much for the support...quite a difference from me working here alone in my 7x11 garage, with the few people i know, who, although thinking it's kinda neat, wonder why i spend so much time building a dumb boat....i should be out there making money ...but the truth is...i'm not good at making money....i make ends meet........anyways, yes dan that's exactly what i wanted as emergency power....had no idea they existed..do they have forward and reverse?...and i'll check out the figures etc.....
capt redde...i will definately get some shots when the time comes to build the drives....you see...i do everything backwards....i had to rig two large hatches on the decks to open up so i could install the drives...should be fun, but i have much to do first......i used grain of wheat bulbs to light up the rear galleries ...i wanted to use led's, but couldn't find the right ones at the time...i wonder if the grain of wheat bulbs will last ok......i could change now if advisable......still have access......
gee...beneteau...good name for a boat builder i will check the forum more closely when the opportunity presents itself...although i've seen some of the links here and really admire the craftsmanship...only difference between kit and scratch (aside from accuracy sometimes), is the time factor...both take equal amt. of skill....that smaller kit of the royal william i built was quite difficult as the plans left a lot up to the builder......one thing, with these ships, which is a challenge to me, is that there are almost no right angles to work from...kinda like building something in the air there's always so much.."does it look right?" going on........
by the way....ballast is not built into the ship....i can lift it easily myself with the help of some harness or whatever...two can carry it without effort...when i place it in the water i add the, maybe, 15 lb. slabs of lead i made, until the waterline is reached...so to sail..i have to load and unload....also althoug i've glassed the innards, the outside has only a few coats of urethane...i need to spray the lower hull more or use spar varnish which may be more waterproof..maybe if i spray enough coats, it will do.......would have loved to use resin, but i don't think it would be compatible with the urethane...and i don't wish to sand back to the wood ....any suggestions? oh, for the rudder, i just cut up some regular brass hinges....lazy lazy.....
gratefully, vic
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Last edited by yancovitch; Sep 01, 2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2009, 09:31 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,672 Posts
You can varnish over epoxy so I'll assume you can do the reverse. Prep the surface well and there shouldn't be a problem.
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Sep 01, 2009, 11:55 PM
Joined Oct 2006
854 Posts
thanks jerry.......but i figure i'll just spray on a good number of thin coats of varithane..which i've been using up until now......will keep it simple.......i figure epoxy will be too much of a mess at this stage.....after all it's not going to stay in the water that long...the reason being, i just decided last month to drill those hundreds of tiny holes, just deep enough to hold some black filler although, after drilling them i first sealed them with some urethane so when i filled them, the black wouldn't leach into the surrounding wood. that's why i need to respray......but anyways, that's not a priority...........gotta cut all the blocks and deadeyes, and remake the molds for the canon...without the bubbles ...gotta rig up a vacuum chamber somehow.............gee i think i'm talking too much......better get back to work... .....................cheers, vic
Last edited by yancovitch; Sep 02, 2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 11:51 AM
Joined Oct 2006
854 Posts
some info dan thought i should share........
...photo of stuff i used to make the molds and castings for the canon......mold material mixes 10-1, and casting, 1-1.....kinda neat....casting resin starts off clear when mixed, and within minutes, hardens and turns white.....so timing's important...and more important, i found out the hard way, that pouring the mold material, the canon should be standing up vertically, so any bubbles can rise up without sticking to the canon..also, paint the canon with the material first, before pouring.....the best would be a vacuum chamber, but it wasn't worth the expense building one......
i found out that spraying the canon with rustoleum, which is oil based, ate into the canon a bit...the resin must be more like a plastic, so i have to smooth them down with some scotch pad steelwool replacement sheets, which come in different degrees of coarseness....i like these pads.....and then repaint with the "all surface" version of rustoleum paint.....it still will have a bit of a texture, but it looks close enough for jazz.....now i found the "all surface paint" was too glossy, so i gave another coat of regular rustoleum semigloss, and it now looks fine.....whew! by the way, painting them in a bundle like that was wrong, when i repainted, i placed them in a long line......which of course, i should have done in the first place

photo of entrance way coming along...bent brass wire......oh, i use some hard body dental impression material to make a copy and then pour in acrylic resin(liquid and powder) and place in hot water....just mix (impression material) in the palm of hand, the two equal amounts of the soft claylike material, press over the piece to be copied, and after a minute or two, it has set.....thats how i copied the ornmental railings on the stern galleries......
this is probably all familiar to most, but i posted just in case.......oh.....i made the wales extra thick cause i was worried about strength, being a working model....craftistic licence??
Last edited by yancovitch; Sep 30, 2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:26 PM
Joined Oct 2006
854 Posts
wasn't able to get too much done...but i retire from my apt. managing job at end of dec., so i'm looking forward to an accelerated pace......grateful to dan for his guidance....will work on the sail mechanism next....have a threaded rod, but i've got to find a square threaded rod like in a vice, which would make the nut travel faster me thinks.....
oh.....the hull of the ship is hollow....there are ledges along the gun decks to keep out any unfriendly stray water.....the guns attach to the back wall of the ledges..........................later, vic
Last edited by yancovitch; Nov 10, 2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:21 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,405 Posts
Beeeauuuutiful canons!

Vic,
Thinking more about the sched 80 pipe used for the barrels, I thought it might be thicker walled than necessary. But seeing how you turned the barrel profiles, I think it was the way to go. You had some wall thickness to work with.
Those are by far the best looking working canons I've seen yet. Beautiful muzzle profiles.

Hey Vic - see Jerry Todd post under Sailboats about supporting a new forum - Scale Sailing Ships. We need your support (vote) to get the new forum approved. Here's the link:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1139706

And here is where you post to support the idea. Need 50 posts:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post13542656

All the scale sail work would then be in one place. The RCGroups guys would move your thread (if you request and approve) to the new forum with all the scale sail work.
Last edited by DanL; Nov 10, 2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 01:30 AM
Washington State
Joined Sep 2007
239 Posts
Vic,
I also have just found this thread. I am almost speechless. You Sir are an absolute Master Craftsman. You are building absolute treasures. The attention to detail as well as the ability to match realism in scale is something we can all learn from. Models for the most part look like Models. Your Work portrays A realism that is beyond superb. A true artesian doing a great justice to these ships of yesteryear.
We are all Blessed by you sharing your work.
Thank You.
Skipper AM299 is offline Find More Posts by Skipper AM299
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:32 AM
Joined Oct 2006
854 Posts
gee skipper, i'm speechless.....i always think i'm such a clutz...talk about incentive....gotta get back to work....gotta get back to work ....
by the way...the brass canon were turned...(gee again, i can't figure out when to say canons or canon)...on a wood lathe with a file...was kinda tricky, so they're not all even, but i didn't think it important......
Old Nov 11, 2009, 08:24 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,719 Posts
Hello Vic;
Glad to see the cannon are coming along and they do look great. One thing I could never understand is why the ship builders of the day put so much ornamentation on their ships. Not only did that probably cost a fortune but it all must weigh many tons added weight to the ship. Then comes the enemy with one well placed cannon ball and down she goes. What a waste and how much of that beautiful work went to Davy Jones's locker? Staggering when you think about it.
The new thread that's coming up just for scale sailing ships will be a great depository for all this information. Pete

Just looked up "cannon" because I thought I spelled it wrong. The good book of spelling says it's "cannon" for singular and "cannons" for plural. A "canon" is a clergy member of a cathedral and also refers to a part of a religious ceremony such as a Catholic mass. So there you have it. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Last edited by norgale; Nov 11, 2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:09 PM
Joined Oct 2006
854 Posts
oh m'gosh...i did spell it wrong...both ways....now i am educated.....
well....we could have 100..canons or clergymen, each sitting in a gun port, praying that the enemy will go away ......
i never understood the practicality of all that ornamentation either....but if it weren't for that, i probably wouldn't even build a ship...when i built the victory, i always felt kinda empty, like something was wrong, or missing...somehow the sculptures made the ship come alive....maybe like the ancients putting an eye on the bow..gee...you're starting to make me think about something i never thought about one could write a book about the psychology behind that......modern ships are undesirable to me...it's all about conquering the ocean or nature rather than having a romance with it....probably silly, but i can't think of anything else to explain my feelings.....better stop before i put my foot in my, or someone's mouth
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:30 PM
Washington State
Joined Sep 2007
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancovitch View Post
oh m'gosh...i did spell it wrong...both ways....now i am educated.....
well....we could have 100..canons or clergymen, each sitting in a gun port, praying that the enemy will go away ......
i never understood the practicality of all that ornamentation either....but if it weren't for that, i probably wouldn't even build a ship...when i built the victory, i always felt kinda empty, like something was wrong, or missing...somehow the sculptures made the ship come alive....maybe like the ancients putting an eye on the bow..gee...you're starting to make me think about something i never thought about one could write a book about the psychology behind that......modern ships are undesirable to me...it's all about conquering the ocean or nature rather than having a romance with it....probably silly, but i can't think of anything else to explain my feelings.....better stop before i put my foot in my, or someone's mouth
Totaly Agree, The Romance of the Sea, as well as the exploration. Man against the elements in these Beautiful works of Art. A Time in our history that is still appreciated, Respected, Admired and Loved. A Time in Which Wood and Canvas Commanded by Man, Ruled the waves, Maped our Planet, Fished our sea's, Expanded our Trade, Fought our Wars and advanced our knowledge.

A very Romantic time indeed.
Skipper AM299 is offline Find More Posts by Skipper AM299
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:11 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,405 Posts
Cannon and Cannons. I'll write it 100 times on the chalkboard.
Carronade and Carronades.
All referred to as guns?

"Totaly Agree, The Romance of the Sea, as well as the exploration. Man against the elements in these Beautiful works of Art. A Time in our history that is still appreciated, Respected, Admired and Loved. A Time in Which Wood and Canvas Commanded by Man, Ruled the waves, Maped our Planet, Fished our sea's, Expanded our Trade, Fought our Wars and advanced our knowledge."

If you haven't read "To Rule the Waves, How the British Navy Shaped the World" by Arthur Herman, pick up a copy. Describes in fascinating detail all that Skipper said above.