HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2002, 02:00 PM
Guildford, UK
Joined Oct 2000
230 Posts
Skycat power plant

I've got a Skycat ready to go, using the supplied permax 600, 3:1 GB and 12x8 prop.

When testing it with 8xRC2000, it only pulls 20 amps for about 170 watts. I've seen a number of contradicting comments about how the skycat flies with that amount of power.
Before I fly it, could you guys tell me:
- how it flies with that setup
- should I prop it for more amps? How many amps canthe motor take? (I'd like to stick with 8 cells for the time being as I've got the packs)
- what other motor/GB/prop combinations work well?

Thanks in advance.
StefV is offline Find More Posts by StefV
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2002, 01:43 PM
Aylesbury,UK
Joined Apr 2000
1,011 Posts
I have flown mine 3-4 times on ten CP-1700, it pulls about 24A. I try not to use full power for too long as im sure the motor won't like that very much. I did try to run the motor in using the water dipping trick to get better brush contact while the motor is new, didn't seem to wear the brushes much at all though. I have seen LennyG's one fly, goes well on 8 cells, give it a try then go from there.
Stuey is offline Find More Posts by Stuey
Old May 29, 2002, 03:06 PM
London
Joined Jul 2001
1,034 Posts
I've seen and played with a friend's skycat....
his setup was 8x2400's with irvine grbx ( 3:1-ish) and endoplasma motor swinging the 12x8
it climbed at 65-70 degrees, would loop from level, roll real nice, and even moved fairly fast.
it's a great sport plane, but i'm more into the 3d stuff, hence i shall be ordering an e3d soon......

Peter
Peter W is offline Find More Posts by Peter W
Old May 30, 2002, 11:18 AM
Guildford, UK
Joined Oct 2000
230 Posts
Stuey,
thanks for the info, I'll try it on the stock setup first then. Strange that you pull only 24 amps with 10 cells while I pull a bit over 20 with 8 cells (not a well charged pack either) ?

Peter,
Sounds like a good upgrade. Out of interest, do you know who stocks endos in the UK? I'm told they are hard to get hold of these days...
Old May 30, 2002, 03:04 PM
Joined Feb 2002
13 Posts
Hi Stef

I have just bought an endoplasma for my Skycat, from the Hobbystores at Watton.
They had them in stock when everybody else I had tried didn't!

http://www.hobbystores.co.uk/HsLocations.html

Haven't tried it yet - British weather stinks!

Andy
andybenn is offline Find More Posts by andybenn
Old May 30, 2002, 05:10 PM
London
Joined Jul 2001
1,034 Posts
sorry can't help you with the endos but the guy who bought one in the uk has been told to post here with a source

Peter
Old Jun 01, 2002, 07:17 PM
Guildford, UK
Joined Oct 2000
230 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys.
I had the first flight today with 8 cells and the stock setup.
Went ok, nice and smooth, but can definitely do with more power as suspected: I rarely thottled back. I'm going to upgrade soon. Not sure yet whether to go for 10 CP1700 or an Endo on 8 cells...
Old Jun 02, 2002, 12:12 AM
Singapore Holland Rd
Joined Mar 2002
1,920 Posts
wheres you cg point for this plane gonn test fly it today hmmm where does the esc go??
YZYgold is offline Find More Posts by YZYgold
Old Jun 02, 2002, 06:38 AM
Guildford, UK
Joined Oct 2000
230 Posts
CG is at around 95mm for me. (there is an addendum to the original instructions, which said 105 I think). ESC goes just behind the motor in my case.
Watch out for the trim: I needed full up trim on mine, I don't know if it is CG or if I bent the fuse.
Old Jun 02, 2002, 08:56 AM
London
Joined Jul 2001
1,034 Posts
the skycat with endo, 8 cells, 3:1, apc 12x8 is nice, 60 degree climbout, but you can hover it on ten cells, especially CP's! the auw is 2 oz less than the e3d.......basicaly, ten cells is more gas like flying but not necessarily necessary.....

Peter
Old Jun 02, 2002, 08:37 PM
Singapore Holland Rd
Joined Mar 2002
1,920 Posts
RRRRRRRGggggg my plane could not rog on grass went down a 50 metre grass field n did not lift off so threw it n it flew quite underpowered i think is 8 2000mah sanyo cells give enough power or I think my esc sucks its a futaba hele 1 you need to tune top speed n idle with ur screw driver lool
YZYgold is offline Find More Posts by YZYgold
Old Jun 03, 2002, 03:27 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Hmm

Skycat is coming to my house soon.

Does someone feel like posting a summary of performance.

Seems like standard motor and 8 cells is not much faster than Twinstar?

Some people also talking about various bits of reinforcement.

What's the flight performance like? Easy to fly? Twitchy on controls? How's it stand up to punishment? Looks like quite a heavy plane with 2400s in it. Does the foam handle that weight alright?

I'm thinking a Mega motor could be a good way to go. Say Mega 30 direct drive.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Jun 03, 2002, 06:20 AM
London
Joined Jul 2001
1,034 Posts
I have a twinstar running on 7 cells and tried someone's skycat. It's definately faster and looks faster when you open the throttle.
As for the foam, it's very nice dense stuff that's real tough though hard landings can break the fuse behind the wing.....so you can sink a couple of 2-3mm cf rods in the foam AND wing if you want too. With an endo geared three to one, the climb angle is very good (60 deg) and it ROG'D alright! but it does drain the power to do so....it glides real well too, when the bec cut in you just point it and float it down.
all in all a great flyer, goes where you point it, and is not too twitchy at all. all my experience is on a twinstar and i flew this low-winger straight off! you can do 'real' stall turns too.
great plane, any power upgrades will only make it better to fly.....

Peter
Old Jun 03, 2002, 07:21 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Thanks Pete.

I have a 2nd hand twinstar on 8 cells which is a very reliable flyer, but I do want to learn ROG and a bit more aerobatic. Twinstar can no doubt do a lot of aerobatic but struggles, roll rate a bit slow, inverted needs a lot of down elevator and then only just has the power.

Will probably end up putting a mega 30 or similar in, but does burn up the model plane budget fairly fast. Endos fairly difficult to get here in Oz, although I might hunt around for one.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Jun 03, 2002, 07:46 AM
Guildford, UK
Joined Oct 2000
230 Posts
I totally agree with Peter regarding the skycat flying habits. I just want to add that mine did ROG from grass on the stock setup: it is not that underpowered, but more would be better.

David, you mention using a mega motor. I know that the multiplex demo team in UK uses some brushless motors in some of theirs, I believe the Jeti ones, which are similar to the megas. Many someone knows more details about that power combo?