SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:15 AM
Joined Aug 2010
247 Posts
Discussion
Need advice for kids heli

I am a youth counselor and have used s107's to teach kids to fly, even a 5 yr. old. My fleet is now getting old and I need to replace them, plus give some to kids for xmas. Is s107 still my best bet, or are their other models as easy to fly in the same price range? Are the s107's today as dependable as the older models I bought a number of years ago? Amazon has them at a reasonable price, but not sure if this is a good way to go.
Any advice will be appreciated, other models, places to buy them from, etc. Thanks. Bob.
bostomper is offline Find More Posts by bostomper
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2014, 04:15 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,247 Posts
hello Bob
regarding the S107's, providing they are the genuine Syma there should not be any quality difference (in the negative) from previous versions.
There are still the copies on the market, but I don't know that they are any less reliable, but might be.
One virtue of the S107 is that virtually anyone can fly it, which can give a confidence boost and not leave one child feeling less able than another.
However, some kids may become bored with it depending on their aptitude, as they may not feel challenged by it.
Most kids tend to learn fairly quickly, so it could be ideal for some, but not others in the longer term, as when given as a gift.
As a possible alternative, there are also micro quads which are fairly inexpensive and have a lot of plus factors also.... very stable like the S107, very simple mechanically, available in infra red for indoor use or RF types for outdoor as well. Also, they can provide a much longer term challenge.
I won't list any possible alternatives for this post, will wait for your response.
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Oct 23, 2014, 07:43 AM
United States, IL, Oak Lawn
Joined Nov 2012
213 Posts
You don't have to limit yourself to the S107g. The original Syma is still very good but it is also the most copied version. All the other Syma helicopters fly and run just as good as the S107g but have not been cloned or copied. Easy to get a genuine Syma at about the same price as the S107g. Take a look at the S111G, S108G, S109G or S102g. These or all Genuine Syma that I have not seen cloned yet.
bobwrgt is offline Find More Posts by bobwrgt
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:11 AM
Joined Aug 2010
247 Posts
thanks folks--very helpful. I will explore the quad possibility for kids as the next step from the coax. I have a quad but it would be a handful in a house. Any suggestions for a stable , easy to fly quad for a beginner.
I do have a couple other syma models that fly well, but the s107 still seems to me to be the easiest so I will probably get a couple of those.
You folks are the best--Bo
Old Oct 23, 2014, 03:42 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,247 Posts
hello again...
as a follow up to my other post (and your response), a couple more thoughts...
Depending on the age of the children and budget considerations, the S107 is still a good choice.
If they are younger kids, having the battery as a non removable item (like S107) is a also a safety factor. There are a couple of micro quads which use the same idea of fixed battery, plus they are RF, so can be used outside as well.
Here are two links for quads which could be suitable....
http://www.banggood.com/SYMA-X12-Nan...-p-945099.html
http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-V272-...-p-928822.html
They are small, but perform well, even outside, according to reports. Anyway, see what you think about them, whether you feel they might be a suitable alternative.
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Oct 24, 2014, 08:58 AM
Joined Aug 2010
247 Posts
thanks Mono--I may get one of those--maybe for myself, as long as there is no "to old to fly age restriction" lol--Bo
Old Oct 26, 2014, 02:28 AM
Joined Dec 2013
160 Posts
I think CG022 the headless mode is suitable for you.
http://www.hobbywow.com/en-cg022-6-a...hz-p237610.htm
Hobby WOW is offline Find More Posts by Hobby WOW