HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:54 PM
Joined Mar 2014
114 Posts
Discussion
FMS PnP foamies (your experiences)

Hi, new to these forums. Just recently getting back into planks, been flying helis the past year. Have been considering a few of the FMS models from MotionRC and other sites. Would like to know you guys's experience with the included electronics in the PnP versions.... Good? Bad?

Thanks
chalmene is online now Find More Posts by chalmene
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:45 AM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,337 Posts
Hey now,
I haven't owned any of the fms models personally. However I have had to um, fix a number of them for others at my field.
I've replaced a lot of servos.. buzzing, double centering, jittering and just plain not working at all. Also several sets of retracts after they've folded on the first landing.
A few escs have burnt. One took the whole plane before I could get to it.

Now to be fair I haven't had to do this with *every* pnp FMS model I've seen. But say one in three needed major reworking and one in two needed a servo replaced.
With all of that, I've seen worse. Like early Hobby King stuff.
I'm sure a bunch of folks will jump in and say that I'm full of something odiferous and that they've never had a problem. We have a couple of guys like that. One guy can't tell servo issues if tgey bite him and the other guy has had no trouble at all.
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:37 PM
United States, Mt, Billings
Joined Jul 2012
216 Posts
I have owned several of them and eventually I turned to balsa models. FMS looks good but the props are never balanced and they use cheap parts that are hard to replace when you need them.
chrispkaiser is offline Find More Posts by chrispkaiser
Last edited by chrispkaiser; Mar 26, 2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 01:14 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
We have two FMS planes, both were kits, The instructions do not cover the kits, so you are
on your own. The quality of both was OK considering the price.

We have the 1400 Cub and the Fox, powered sail plane.
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Mar 25, 2014, 01:48 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,007 Posts
For the money they are usually good value. Some report issues with ESC or some other component. I have had the T-28 and the Zero. Flew the crap out of em. Got alot of compliments on the T-28 flys really nice..
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Mar 25, 2014, 02:14 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,759 Posts
I have five FMS planes, all but one in the 1400mm size. I have been very happy with all of them, especially the Cessna 182 which has become my favorite plane to date. The other four, a T-28 and one each B and D model Mustangs and the 40 inch PT-17 have been fine flying models with very little "fixing" needed.

I have a couple of wood planes also and I have found the amount of tweeking is about the same between foam and wood planes.

I think over the last few years FMS has made an effort to improve their quality control and the reliability of their planes. They're not perfect, but for the price you generally get a good looking plane that flies well.

If you are in the U S and order from Diamond Hobbies or Motion RC, both have exhibited a willingness to stand behind the models and have a very good parts selection for all the planes they carry.

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:31 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,995 Posts
About a year ago I bought one of the FMS 800 series warbirds, a P-40 Warhawk. The finish on the model was great and it looked really nice. However, it flew for about 3 minutes, the ESC smoked and the plane piled in from about 80 feet up. A total loss. It was cheap so no big deal. We have had 3 of the FMS 800mm T-28 Trojans at our field...none have flown. They tend to roll right on takeoff and pile in.

Our oldest member, an 85 years young gentleman has an FMS 1400mm Extra 300 It looks and flies really nice. He seems to really enjoy it. I think the larger FMS models are great. Personally I will stay away from the 800mm series.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:36 PM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,105 Posts
3 of us here have purchased 4 FMS PT-17 Stearmans , and have flown them a LOT , they have been bullet proof and really powerful good flyers .
We have been pleased with the Stearmans value and service , and spare parts are available at MotionRC .com , if you need any .
Myself thought the ESC ran too warm in use , and changed props to let the ESC operate cooler , the other three operate as built , with no failures , of any of the four planes .

wattman is offline Find More Posts by wattman
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:13 PM View Post
ladarisyuan
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). Show it to me anyway.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 04:22 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,283 Posts
My experience with the FMS 800mm T-28 has been great. Inexpensive, a superb flyer and has a full line of spare parts at Motion. I added flaps to mine which are quite effective.

I'd buy one again if I needed to, but they are tough to kill. I inadvertently flew mine into a palm tree 20' up and it spun into grass somehow unscathed apart from a busted prop
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Mar 27, 2014, 04:21 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,213 Posts
I have flown many FMS planes (I am FMS importer and distributor) and the only electronic issue that I think I personally have had is the ESC on my FW190. I will know for sure soon as I replace it and it flies with no problems.

Out of the hundreds FMS/ROC Hobby planes I have sold, I have only replaced one ESC in an 1100 Hellcat burn out and a flap servo in a 1400 P51. I did have to replace a 1400 P51 60A ESC sold by another importer two years ago, since upgraded to 65A by the factory.

The only 800mm warbird I have had real issues with is the P40 V1 and it is not electronics related. This particular P40 did not want to lift off and hardly got higher than 10 ft. The slightest aileron input would cause it to dive in. Turned out that mine was excessively nose heavy. Moved the battery rearward to just in front of the servos, to correct. I have seen videos of the P40 that flew superbly out of the box, so this could be a manufacturing tolerance problem. Maybe foam density variations or the nose weights the factory installs when they join the fuse halves were mixed up. I did not check the CoG before this maiden flight.

I did crash on my FW190's maiden, which was also my first ever 800mm warbird flight, perhaps due to a stall or landing gear snagging on grass, hard to say as the next take-off after replacing the prop, was uneventful. So that was pilot error.

Also had to move the battery rearward on the Zero to improve handling, just part of dialing in any model.

T28 is my favorite FMS 800 class. This bird doesn't care if I use a 2S or 3S 1000mah or 1300mah, It just wants to fly like it was showing off. Could slow down to a walk and fly at 80 mph (est'd). Guys at the field comment at how well she performs and are surprised when they see that she is only 800mm. Now there is this guys who flies his on 2200mah 3S and complains that she glides like a rock......
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:19 PM
Joined Dec 2002
2,337 Posts
Hey now,
Not to be rude or mean spirited or anything. But I do wonder a bit about t hybrid e above poster. When a seller says tgeyve never had trouble with customers with bad electronics. What about tye folks that bought them, had a servo quit and th en total tye model and just bin it. How often do folks return a totalled model because of manufactoring mistakes? Most folks wouldn't bother because they're afraid it'll just get called pilot error.
I could be wrong. And it really could be that my two fields have gotten an abnormal number of planes with bad parts. That'd be very weird but oddly would make the different experiences make sense...
RobII
Old Mar 28, 2014, 09:59 AM
United States, NC, Davidson
Joined Feb 2012
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfwreck View Post
I've replaced a lot of servos.. buzzing, double centering, jittering and just plain not working at all. Also several sets of retracts after they've folded on the first landing.
I was just in the LHS this week and while I was in there a customer brought in one of the FMS PnP planes to return it. He plugged it in and the servos were so jittery he was afraid to even try and fly it. It was obvious too- the ailerons were jumping all over the place, and not just a little.
Seeing that sold me on NOT getting one.
CHSNative is offline Find More Posts by CHSNative
Old Mar 28, 2014, 01:37 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,007 Posts
I think your going to get good and bad with any product. I have had mostly good from FMS. Planes fly great................

I recently bought a SIG Sbach and I hate it. Its a heavy brick. I bet if I would have bought a cheap foamy I wouldn't feel this way
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Mar 28, 2014, 01:50 PM
Joined Dec 2002
2,337 Posts
Hey now,
Shoulda asked me. The Sig model is a bit of a brick. Great sports plane lousey freestyle/3-d.
Had you gone with 3dhs, extreme flight, or PA and their carbon lined planes you'd have been much happier.very light very strong very good stunters.
Its not just about wood or foam. Its much more about choosing the right wood or foam.
RobII