HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Will Pat renew his RCG+ membership for $4.95/mo?
No chance in Hades 59 79.73%
Maybe at one-tenth the price, on a good day 9 12.16%
He's warming up to the idea 3 4.05%
Boy what a deal! Sure thing! 3 4.05%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old Jul 10, 2013, 05:01 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,453 Posts
you can't control the forum, you must abide by the rules.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2013, 05:10 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
AdBlock ...<clip>... Actually, no ad's anywhere. Period.
Actually I don't really advocate this on sites like RCG as 'eyes on ads' as well as 'click-thrus' pay their bills instead of subscriptions to a 'walled garden' content site.

I have pretty much always had a basic paid membership as I am a frequent-flyer on the site and I view it as 'giving back' for the value received for providing a great electronic playground/meeting place for model boaters worldwide, but when it starts getting pushed to where they are calling it, especially as someone who provides content, I start to have second thoughts....

Heck, premium membership here now is more than my monthly dues to the local model boat club and we have a nice Clubhouse in a World Class Park and our own specially built Lake.
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jul 10, 2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 05:23 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
...you must abide by the rules.
Number Two: ... "'this' is the pattern for the future."
Number Six: "The whole Earth, as The Village?"
Number Two: "That is my hope."

OBEY!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jul 10, 2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:23 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,424 Posts
Just a quick post from a pilot and not a boaty but we are all linked as modellers being hit by this huge rise in membership cost . The 3 tiered system was fair ,this one sucks seaweed through the bunghole ,but no matter whats said or questions asked it was just pushed through with no real thought process. I've had to pay the $50 fee (More in Aussie dollars) so it gives me a chance to save all the information but next year It get cut off like military spending.
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:04 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
Number Two: ... "'this' is the pattern for the future."
Number Six: "The whole Earth, as The Village?"
Number Two: "That is my hope."

OBEY!
yes, you must comply.

Resistance is futile
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Jul 11, 2013, 01:28 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
yes, you must comply.

Resistance is futile
"We are the Little Folk -- we!
Too little to love or to hate.
Leave us alone and you'll see
How we can drag down the State!
We are the worm in the wood!
We are the rot at the root!
We are the taint in the blood!
We are the thorn in the foot!

Mistletoe killing an oak --
Rats gnawing cables in two --
Moths making holes in a cloak --
How they must love what they do!
Yes -- and we Little Folk too,
We are busy as they --
Working our works out of view --
Watch, and you'll see it some day!"
from -
The Picts' Song
Rudyard Kipling
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jul 11, 2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:57 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Q: Do you like Kipling?
A: I dunno, I never kippled.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:14 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,227 Posts
I use to have a Bronze membership for like $20 a year that gave me a bigger PM box. At least in the past you could choose bronze, silver, and gold membership but now the choice is 200 PM inbox for free or 2000 PM for $4.95/month, their is nothing in between. So I paid for Bronze for many years so now they will get $0 since my choice has been changed to all or nothing.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2013, 01:01 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,348 Posts
They should be paying me $4.95 a month. That's only about $0.03 per hour for the time I've spent here providing content.

This site exists because of the many who contribute hundreds of hours of their FREE time posting designs, helpful information and answering queries, that make others want to come back for a visit. What would happen if we ex +Plus members all went back and deleted every one of our posts? Yup. No more RCG.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Jul 30, 2013, 01:07 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
I guess the flip side to that is where else would you have the ability to provide content, posting designs, helpful information, and answering questions. Do you only come here to give, or do you get as well? Content is a two way street no? I see it as a ying/yang thing. Each party supports and fulfills the need of the other.

The beauty of course is that nobody has to pay anything. You can still visit, and read, and post, all for free.

As Don noted above though, a scaled approach to a program might have been a better or more popular move, nonetheless the owner gets to do what he wants.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Old Jul 30, 2013, 01:19 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,348 Posts
Two ways? Well, not really. The content comes first and without it they're wouldn't be the other.

The point is, they give you something for free and then take it away unless you cough up the cash. Maybe I didn't read the small print in the beginning.

Anyways, I really don't care, as this is the best modelling site going regardless...............and many of my friends are here.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Jul 30, 2013, 01:29 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Actually, the site came first. Then the content. Without the site, there would be no place to post the content. As for the free membership granted, it was free. I guess folks could have turned it down, but I don't see any downside to having been given something for free, even for a limited time.

I agree with you though, overall this is the best site given content and platform.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Old Jul 30, 2013, 06:50 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Actually, the site came first. Then the content. Without the site, there would be no place to post the content. As for the free membership granted, it was free. I guess folks could have turned it down, but I don't see any downside to having been given something for free, even for a limited time.

I agree with you though, overall this is the best site given content and platform.

Granted the site came first, but don't they always? Sites are started due to a desire by the owner or owners to fullfill a need THEY have. Altruistic or otherwise with 'otherwise' being the profit factor. In some cases profit is an after thought and in some cases profit is never a consideration. Those that start a site do so knowing the possibilities,the options and the worse case scenarios.

Sites that have advertising are doing so for profit or at a minimal for enough income to pay for the site. If it is for profit, then the money comes from the advertising revenue. Of course a site can offer 'badges for money' to acquire even more profit and that is quite alright if a member wishes to pay for a badge.

There is no need for the chicken/egg argument as it is the member content that draws others here and those visitors or members are the ones that click on the ad links or make purchases from the advertisers. Thus, no member of any site should feel guilty about anything, much less have an erronous thought that they are being given something for free and they should feel grateful.

Sites are nothing without content and the members that provide the content. Without the content the ads are useless. Without the ads the site does not support itself. Without the site, members move to another site and post their content.

It is at best a dysfunctional, symbiotic relationship. Much like the shark and the remora. When the shark is no longer there the remora moves on to another shark. If there is a better shark somewhere else in the ocean, the remora moves on to another shark.

The site/content argument is a bit like asking if the light is on in a refrigerator if the door is closed. Does not matter what the light is doing if the refrigerator is empty.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lou; Jul 30, 2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2013, 10:23 AM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,292 Posts
Actually, the site came first.
-I disagree. The hobby clearly came first. If the R/C hobbyist (and the content they generate) didn't exist, this site would not exist...
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan
Old Aug 01, 2013, 11:06 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,348 Posts
The issue is really all about this, not the chicken or the egg, as nicely stated by Azarr....................http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10892

It's like they gave us a merit badge, for free, and then decided to charge us to keep it.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by goldguy; Aug 01, 2013 at 11:14 AM.
Closed Thread