HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2013, 07:32 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Build Log
"Cheap Trick" a Sniper 90 XL (or) F-5 type clone in foam..New video, pg #11

Inspired by Andy`s (Falcon 5) huge foam based scale and sport scale builds, I`ve decided to build a large 90-100mm sized sport jet clone. Nothing original, just the basic Bandit / Electra style airframe, but even more simple in shape, like the Sniper.

The material will be mostly pink foam in the 1/2" and 1" thicknesses. The tail feathers will probably be shaped solid balsa just for simplicity and strength. The fuselage and wings, I`m planning to just cover them with low temp film for simplicity and lightness.

I plan to just build the "intake ducts" into the airframe. There would always be the option of glass intakes for improved performance, but the goal is a light weight, semi-fast, good tracking jet that is fun to fly and easy to land, and most of all cheap and easy to build. Oh,and when it`s 20+ ft away, looks like it might be a $3000 top end E-jet.

That`s why I`m calling it "Cheap Trick". It`s also kind of a nod to a friend of mine from UT that loved the music group of the same name.

I have a very bad habit of starting a project, getting it 80% done, then letting it sit for a year or two. It`s my firm intention to get this built and in the air quickly, so I will do my best to not leave interested parties hanging.

These are the "plans" and I will document the build with lots of pics to help anyone who wants to give it a try too.

I have a 4 day weekend and no commitments, so buckle up, the first Cheap Trick will take shape pretty quickly.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Jun 02, 2014 at 01:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2013, 08:59 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,875 Posts
Lee, Looks like it should be a fun build. Nice size, too! When I was deciding on doing a build and looking around at what they "considered" 90 size, all seemed small. Your WS vs L ratio is good, almost 6/7. L= 63" would be dead on.

Fill us in on what's planned for the power system, I'm sure you already had that figured out. And yes, we all like lots of pics!
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jul 04, 2013, 12:26 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Yep, fun and cheap, that`s what this one is all about. It will get one of my budget fan/motor combos with a $90 Sunrise YEP clone for the esc. 10s-12s and somewhere in the 3.5 kw neighborhood.

Lots of pictures for sure.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2013, 12:52 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,875 Posts
Deleted, not to build related.
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Jul 04, 2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old Jul 04, 2013, 09:23 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
I am on for the ride. Go Lee.

Cheers,
Eric B.
AirX is online now Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jul 04, 2013, 02:03 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,935 Posts
When I built a 100% Schumate Bandit from 6mm flyrc I modded the ends of the forward fuselage side pieces to extend back almost to the trailing edge of the wing where I placed the fan to fill up some of the space inside the fuselage for area ruling purposes (and to give more room to slide the battery backwards to adjust the CG). I made a short maybe 5 inch long duct adapter/transition piece from donut box/cardstock that changed the shape from a square/rectangle to round at the fan bulkhead. This piece was attached to the inside of the fan bulkhead and the inside of it was the same as the INSIDE diameter of the fan. Then the fan rested up against the bulkhead and there was a tight, flush fit, and the MF480 was secured via it's mounting tabs to rails. It worked great, but I think I lost the pictures in a hard drive crash.

I still have the plane, but it got tore up over time and with a higher power system, the wing would warp due to the speed and only having the one spar and it the trim would change, so I always wanted an airfoiled wing on it. That's kinda inspired me lately to start drawing a 90 sized sport jet that'll in the back seat of my new Tacoma, with a real wing and retracts. Haven't cut anything yet but at least I'm drawing.

Good luck...seeing Andy's (Falcon5) project has kinda got my plane bug going just a little, we'll see where it goes.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Jul 04, 2013, 02:04 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Thanks for joining the fun Eric, Mark and Ed.

I spent some time this morning rearranging my mess. But now the build has started.

Since I`m using the Sniper lines and the bottom of the fuselage isn`t flat at all I`ll be using the sides as the main building block of the rear fuselage section. It`s will be built as a unit and then the nose section will be built and then sectioned into the rear.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2013, 02:12 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Waldrep View Post
When I built a 100% Schumate Bandit from 6mm flyrc I modded the ends of the forward fuselage side pieces to extend back almost to the trailing edge of the wing where I placed the fan to fill up some of the space inside the fuselage for area ruling purposes (and to give more room to slide the battery backwards to adjust the CG). I made a short maybe 5 inch long duct adapter/transition piece from donut box/cardstock that changed the shape from a square/rectangle to round at the fan bulkhead. This piece was attached to the inside of the fan bulkhead and the inside of it was the same as the INSIDE diameter of the fan. Then the fan rested up against the bulkhead and there was a tight, flush fit, and the MF480 was secured via it's mounting tabs to rails. It worked great, but I think I lost the pictures in a hard drive crash.

Yes, that`s almost exactly the plan for the CT. I started a large 70mm sport scale F-20 a while back with that basic layout, but I canned it because it just wasn`t turning out to my liking. I`ll put a link to that old thread to show the basic idea.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2013, 02:22 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Ed here are a couple of shots of the abandoned F-20. The CT will be laid out similar to this.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2013, 08:59 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,875 Posts
Starting to shape up Lee, and the pics are great, but you are really missing something!!!

I don't see any CATS!!
Old Jul 04, 2013, 09:08 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
LOL, cats for sure. I`ve asked Andy about loaning me one, but it seems there`s a long waiting list.

I had a cat for a while, but she hated my chuck glider tests in the den, so she ran off. Must have been the wrong breed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2013, 09:44 PM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
LOL, cats for sure. I`ve asked Andy about loaning me one, but it seems there`s a long waiting list.

I had a cat for a while, but she hated my chuck glider tests in the den, so she ran off. Must have been the wrong breed.

Taken shape quick! You sir, carve a block of foam like it was wood!
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Jul 05, 2013, 09:06 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_FAST View Post

Taken shape quick! You sir, carve a block of foam like it was wood!
+1, no doubt...

Eric B.
AirX is online now Find More Posts by AirX