Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:20 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,642 Posts
Discussion
SEQ / NNSW F3F events

We're finding that Bandicoot tends to have pretty reliable afternoon breeze, even on days like today when it was forecast to be calm. Today we paced out a 100m length to see how an F3F course would fit. It couldn't be better. From in line with the tree where we park the cars, 100m goes just over the brow of the next knoll to the west. It gives perfect visibility of the whole course. We took some vid of a "pretend" F3F run in only 8 - 10 kts of wind. I think I'd move the east base maybe 10m to the east past the tree mark, so the west base would be right on top of the knoll.

I can quickly think of at least 13 guys who have suitable moldies and could participate in an F3F event. Me, Rhys, Gerard, Sean, Shane, Todd, Pete L, Ken, Greg (prez), Tim, Kane, Asto, Ezza and I'm sure there are more if we ask the MRSSA guys. It's long overdue ... we need to do this ... and I think Bandicoot is our best chance. Personally I'd like to have a couple of practice sessions before I head over to the US and compete again in the race at Point Fermin.

I'm really keen to organize an F3F race up at Bandicoot soon and have started this thread to co-ordinate it.

Can any of you local guys post your interest (or otherwise) here, and whether there are any weekends in Feb/ Mar that you'd prefer or like to avoid. I'll see if we can narrow down on a weekend.

PARTICIPANTS LIST AT 5 FEB 2012

REALLY KEEN
AvB
Ezza
Sean
Tim
Kane
Larrikin? (was that a yes??)
Pete Loftus (Ruralringo)

UNSURE
Todd - only Sundays. Saturday only a possibility.
Rhys - depending on day
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Last edited by AvB; Feb 05, 2012 at 06:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:43 AM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,089 Posts
I'm in!!
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:44 AM
ERS....Energy Retention System
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,569 Posts
Yep I'm in....NYX is charged...

Tim
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:40 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,498 Posts
Im in . . Ceres & Fosa ! Giidy up

And look where I have been this week best powder on the planet !

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=RfH-MkG_Ehs

And I kid you not there is a wind meter that is a windburner fuse with a propeller on the front, you won't believe me when I take a pic , I laugh so hard everytime I go on the chairlift.
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:47 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,642 Posts
Vid of F3F test at Bandicoot

Here's the video. I know I always say this but you have to watch it. For a day that had a nil wind forecast ... this was a nice slope fly! Really good fun. This seems to be happening too often to be a coincidence ... Bandicoot seems to come up with wind even when you're not expecting it.

The F3F course bit is at the end. I think it will encourage a lot more entrants. When they see my flying they'll think "Well at least I can be sure I won't come last!"

Clearing LZ and checking out F3F course at Bandicoot (5 min 18 sec)
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:46 AM
Self confessed Aeroholic
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,512 Posts
Andrew, Rhys ... the hill looks fantastic ... what a difference. Sorry I couldn't make it today, the notice was a little short.
I can't think of a more a versatile hill in SEQ than Bandicoot. To have the owners on board as well is just awesome. We're truly blessed. A HUGE thanks to you Andrew for all your efforts in acquiring, maintaining and sharing such a "sacred site".
D.
Larrikin is offline Find More Posts by Larrikin
Old Feb 04, 2012, 01:22 PM
Good Times
Portland . Dorset . England
Joined Jun 2009
290 Posts
Well done Buying a Willow Andy
and Good luck Guys, Nice start to getting an F3F comp up and running .
Well done on clearing the ground aswell .
You may want to decrease Elevator throw and increase Snap flap on the Willow though , it may help the turns .
Heres My willow doing its thing , this is my personal Best Time that i got at Christmas . Great model . one other tip aswell . If it can be ballasted it loves it Load that sucka up
BobbyR - Pink Willow (1 min 15 sec)

BobbyR
Bobbyr is offline Find More Posts by Bobbyr
Last edited by Bobbyr; Feb 04, 2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:51 PM
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineDSacro View Post
Im in . . Ceres & Fosa ! Giidy up

And look where I have been this week best powder on the planet !

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=RfH-MkG_Ehs

And I kid you not there is a wind meter that is a windburner fuse with a propeller on the front, you won't believe me when I take a pic , I laugh so hard everytime I go on the chairlift.
Good to see you got some powder....funny about that wind finder burner..

BTW fosa's got nothing...they flutter to easy..
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by timbuck; Feb 04, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:00 PM
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,569 Posts
Great work guys.....just a note, wouldn't it be better landing it the other direction into the wind..??? Standing down next the the car.

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:29 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,642 Posts
Tim both ways are fine I think. I find it "floats" in flatter on the eastern approach, I think because the hill is rounder and the air gets more laminar. But you really do have to be careful not to go too far back or you can drop behind the fence.

In an F3F event you have to be able to land somewhere that doesn't get in the way of the next guy's run. If you waited till the first guy landed till the next guy launched, it would be really slow. It's important to keep it moving quickly so everyone gets as many runs as possible during the event ... helping to even out any effect of varying condition. So someone has the job of keeping the next few guys on the list ready so as soon as one guy finishes his run, the next guy steps out ready to launch.

So at the end of your run if you drop low and circle back to land on the east brow of the hill it should provide a landing spot where you can keep out of the way.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:35 PM
It flies!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
1,543 Posts
I'm in, keen as ever .

Good on you for getting the ball rolling Andrew.

Sean.
Sean Moloney is online now Find More Posts by Sean Moloney
Old Feb 04, 2012, 09:12 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,642 Posts
Since Eric has some comps and other commitments coming up ... could you nominate the weekends that would be available for you to come up Ezza?

Interested in others' comments but I was thinking of scheduling it for a Sat arvo from say 3pm on. But leaving the option open that if Sat turned out no good, and if enough guys were available, we could try for Sunday.

I'm contacting the Maleny club guys and will also post it on the MRSSA group.

EDIT: also wondering what you guys think ... if we're going to get F3F regular it's eventually going to have to be official. But I don't want any extra work and I think this first time, since it's a new experience for most, just "have a go" as a fun unofficial thing, to keep the admin side simple.

EDIT AGAIN; If you look back at the very first post in this thread I'll update the list of people there who have responded.
Last edited by AvB; Feb 04, 2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 11:00 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,089 Posts
The up coming MRSSA comps are;

25-26th of Feb, Harrisville DLG and F3J

10-11th of March, Toowoombah Thermal comp

21-22nd of April, Harrisville Thermal comp

19th of May, Interstate challenge at Lismore

Outside of that I'm keen.

I reckon Astan and Ken stephens would be keen too.

There was an old east coast F3F comp thread(http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=f3f+comp) where a couple Sydney guys tried to get something started a while back. I reckon it is worth posting in that too Andrew. Those boys are keen!

Eric
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:47 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,642 Posts
OK I have commitments on Sat 18th Feb and Sat 3rd March. I'm only interested up to 1 April when I leave for the US ... not thinking about after that!

If we're going to stick with the Saturday (with Sunday option) idea, at the moment the possibilities are:

* Sat 11 Feb (next weekend, would be OK by me despite short notice. There's an aerotow event but not sure if that's a conflict for anyone)

* Sat 17 Mar

* Sat 23 Mar

Waddayez reckon?
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:03 AM
Planes dress doors...
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Mar 2011
667 Posts
23rd of March is my preference.

Got proper gliders to fly on the 17th
Rhys Porter is offline Find More Posts by Rhys Porter