SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:51 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,062 Posts
Haha Crash, I didn't mention it because I would not reccomend it to a new pilot that is still learning. The Albi is a great looking plane. But, it is not very strong. And wouldn't stay looking great for long under a newbs sticks. hahaha. I just read a sad story guys. A green beret returned home from his last tour in afhganistan (sp). He was asleep in his two story house with his wife. They awoke to smoke from the housefire. They jumped out of there secound story window. He wrapped himself in a blanket and entered the house. His two daughters were trapped in there upstairs bedrooms. He never came back out. Firefighters found the three bodies. That poor mom. She lost both her daughters and one heck of a hero. Not to mention there home too. How sad. He survived one tour in Iraq and five in afgan. Now he is gone. Prayers out to the poor woman. Mrs. Cantrell I believe was her name. Y'all please join me in prayer for her. I can't igmagion her loss or what she is going through.
Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:02 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by litehawkdown View Post
I have been looking hard into my next plane after my Champ. The um's are great for size and durability. But the Brushed motors sound as bad as a MSR motor. I shelved my MSR for this very reason. I am looking hard at the parkzone F4F Wildcat. Good price for what you get.

Key Features

Ready to fly in minutes with full 4-channel control – throttle, aileron, elevator and rudder
3S 11.1V 1300mAh Li-Po battery and balancing charger included
Spektrum™ AR500 DSM2™ 5-channel sport receiver installed
Powerful 480-size 960Kv brushless outrunner motor installed
Dual aileron servos for precise control
Durable and lightweight Z-Foam™ construction
Two-piece plug-in wing
Battery compartment accommodates most 1800-2100mAh Li-Po packs (sold separately)
Scale details include realistic paint scheme, molded panel lines, simulated retractable landing gear and hand-painted pilot figure
Only requires a full range DSM2 aircraft transmitter (sold separately)

Needed To Complete

• 4+ Channel Full Range DSM2 Transmitter

$179.99
I don't recomend this choice she will fly 3 times as fast and with no aileron experience this may be a quick way to rid your self of $179.00. If you take your time and learn ailerons on say a UM T-28 your transition to larger faster planes will be smoother. Not saying you cant Handel it, but ask many here who have planted a big ship and then stepped back to a aileron trainer. If you have a instructor may be. Just my 2 cents worth. The issue is the big ships don't crash well. The F-4 wild cat is a handful just like the spitfire. If you are going to buy a big girl now the best chance of survival comes from the Corsair she is a gentle floater and pretty stout. If you buy the F-4 please get some video tape of the Maiden
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:42 PM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Repost a vid from the 17 Feb 12 with the music I wanted

Champ swarm 2

Champ Swarm (6 min 34 sec)
Old Mar 07, 2012, 02:15 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post
I don't recomend this choice she will fly 3 times as fast and with no aileron experience this may be a quick way to rid your self of $179.00. If you take your time and learn ailerons on say a UM T-28 your transition to larger faster planes will be smoother. Not saying you cant Handel it, but ask many here who have planted a big ship and then stepped back to a aileron trainer. If you have a instructor may be. Just my 2 cents worth. The issue is the big ships don't crash well. The F-4 wild cat is a handful just like the spitfire. If you are going to buy a big girl now the best chance of survival comes from the Corsair she is a gentle floater and pretty stout. If you buy the F-4 please get some video tape of the Maiden
Corsair! I've never owned one but all I've read, its a real handful for a noob. Maybe not the best choice either.
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Mar 07, 2012, 02:22 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Apr 2009
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Corsair! I've never owned one but all I've read, its a real handful for a noob. Maybe not the best choice either.
T-28 hands down.Then after mastering it go for a P51 or whatever else.....easy!
karfrik is online now Find More Posts by karfrik
Old Mar 07, 2012, 02:39 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,062 Posts
I wished I had got a big Trojan instead of a Big corsair. They are generally tail heavy. So, one needs to check the COG on them carefully. It is beautifull to watch go buy though. haha. Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Mar 07, 2012, 03:50 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
The little UM T-28 is the NEXT BEST THING after the Champ.
Hands down - end of story!

I made the same mistake as Blu... I got the P-51 and put the poor lil' plane through Hell-on-Earth. It was too hypersensitive and was practically useless in any wind.
At least for a newb.

The T-28 flies like a dream, is very forgiving and looks great in flight. I used to think "who would buy this little ugly duckling plane?" But now I look at every T like it's a thing of beauty.

my 2-cents...
Mac

G. Gunnerson

ADDED:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
I think he meant the larger PZ Corsair - not the UM.
Guys, When I was looking for my 1st warbird, everyone I talked to and every thread I inquired into pointed to the Art-Tech F4U Corsair as the best-flying larger sized warbird.

I looked at numerous vids and still believe that it is probably one of the better flying warbirds. Nitroplanes sells 'em -OR- you can find them cheaper at Hobby King, but not as an "Art-Tech." You have to look for the Corsair with a yellow checkerboard nose and a big "AT" on the tail/rudder.

MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Last edited by MaladroitFL; Mar 07, 2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:01 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
That guy on ebay has the minimag and twister listed again...

Here is the minimag for $25 with $6 shipping.. can't beat that deal.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MULTIPLEX-MI...item3372de67d9 9 left
Viper82 is offline Find More Posts by Viper82
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:29 PM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
I was referring the large Corsair and have flown it many times. Easy to belly flop, plenty of power and floats like its filled with helium. Not for a newbee but if the individual is hard set to get a big girl IMHO that would be it or a large T-28 like macs big girl Same same. But flying with ailerons is a new skill best learned on the UM T-28 and when you master it get a Assassin from crash test hobbies. and see what 50 mph feels like then EDF like Viper lol Good luck with what ever you do.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:03 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper82 View Post

How the heck does he DO that?
I'm seriously thinking of getting one --just because it's such a great deal!
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:31 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
I am too... $30 shipped is a smoking hot deal. Forget the twister, I've got enough battery eating EDF's.
I dunno how, but he has been unloading a bunch of them.. I think they are discontinued, but they are still GREAT planes. That elapor foam is the best in the business, so I hear.

50MPH!?! pfff... my jets go faster than that.
My first low wing 4ch was a F-86
First 4ch was a high wing tho...

Screw it, I'm ordering a Minimag.
Viper82 is offline Find More Posts by Viper82
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:30 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper82 View Post

That's a very good deal. I paid about 63.00 with shipping at Tower. I had a coupon that pretty much covered the shipping and tax.

I'm enjoying mine but it needs a couple minor mods right away. The first is the motor. The brushed motor it comes with is wayyyyy under powered. Will barely ROG with it. Add a cheap out runner in the 370 to 450 size and your good to go. Mine performs well on a 370. It's very durable, here are some crashes that prove it. I broke a prop on the nose in and other than that, no damage to this plane so far with many, many bad landings
http://vimeo.com/38117847
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:34 PM
Never stop being a kid.
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Thanks for the tip, Viper. I'm in!

I could do with another trainer that can tolerate more wind than the Champ and can fly off slightly rougher surfaces, but can still be flown in a park. This looks perfect!
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:38 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
I should also mention its set up as 3ch but everything is there except servo's to add ailerons. You only need to cut the ends on them, they are pre-hinged, have the rods and horns included too. It would fly fine without ailerons but this makes a real good aileron trainer IMHO. It's not a Fun Cub but it's a comfortable move up from micro's.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:42 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrundleFlyBy View Post
Thanks for the tip, Viper. I'm in!

I could do with another trainer that can tolerate more wind than the Champ and can fly off slightly rougher surfaces, but can still be flown in a park. This looks perfect!
Handles wind well, that nose in crash was a bit windy that day, 10-12 mph I'd say. I would also say its still in the park flier category too. I put yellow electrical tape on the leading edges of the main wing and stab to keep things like tree branches from dinging them up, works well as demonstrated.