HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:52 AM
Joined Jan 2011
19 Posts
Discussion
Great Planes Syncro **Owners Thread**

Howdy.

I will be attempting to consolidate any info about the Syncro here. Also, let's discuss anything that could be useful to owner's of the Great Planes Syncro.

[quickly about me: Ive been flying for 3 1/2 months. I started last December with a generic Chinese coaxial heli with horizontal tail rotor and, after enjoying learning it so much, worked my way through the mCX2, mSR, then I picked up a DX6i, then Night Vapor, UM T-28, UM P-51, T-28D, and mCPX. I can fly loops rolls, circuits, low fly, take off, land, and hand launch with my planes and inverted flight and outside loops with the UM P-51. Also, I will be trying inverted flight soon with the mCPX. [what an awesome heli!]

I like the way the Syncro appears to roll in the video but I really want to slope soar.

My build:

Motor - Great Planes Ammo Inrunner BL
ESC - Great Planes Silver Series SS-25 25A BL ESC
Battery - E-flite 3S 1800mAh 20C 11.1V
Battery - parkzone 1800mAh 15C 11.1V (came with T-28D BNF)
Receiver - Spektrum AR600 Full Range
Servos - TWM 7.8 gram micro (x4, 2 for each wing)
Servo - TWM 7.8 gram micro (elevator)
Servo - eRC 9 gram micro (rudder)

My DX6i Settings: [These settings give me exactly the recommended travel. Yours will likely vary slightly or more if using different parts.]

with Sport Wing -
DR/EXPO
AILE 0 100 +15
ELEV 0 100 +15
RUDD 0 100 +15
AILE 1 70 +15
ELEV 1 65 +15
RUDD 1 60 +15

TRAVEL ADJ
THRO 100^ 100v AILE 60< 60>
ELEV 100^ 100v RUDD 90< 90>
GEAR 100^ 100v FLAP 100^ 100v

REVERSE
THRO-N AILE-N
ELEV-R RUDD-N
GEAR-N FLAP-N

with Glider Wing -
DR/EXPO
AILE 0 100 +15
ELEV 0 100 +15
RUDD 0 100 +15
AILE 1 60 +15
ELEV 1 65 +15
RUDD 1 60 +15

TRAVEL ADJ
THRO 100^ 100v AILE 100< 100>
ELEV 100^ 100v RUDD 90< 90>
GEAR 100^ 100v FLAP 100^ 100v

REVERSE
THRO-N AILE-N
ELEV-R RUDD-N
GEAR-N FLAP-N

Notes:
I've added an 18.8g washer to the nose to achieve middle notch of recommended CG for the GW with the parkzone 1800 mAh battery installed. I have not balanced the SW yet.

Let's refer to the 'Sport Wing' and 'Glider Wing' as SW and GW.

Links:

Great Planes Syncro - http://www.electrifly.com/ductedfans/gpma1581.html
Eletrifly Ducted Fan Unit - ATTENTION! SYNCRO SHIPS WITH INCORRECT DOCUMENTATION FOR FAN UNIT! This, from KRProton:"just thought I'd let you know the fan unit included with the Syncro is not a HyperFlow unit. The instructions for the HyperFlow fan were inadvertantly slipped into the kit box which could lead you to conclude that it's a Hyperflow. If you ever need a replacement housing or fan, don't purchase the Hyperflow because it's not the same and the housing doesn't fit into the pod (though it may be possible to make it fit). Purchase the original Syncro fan parts as listed in your instruction manual. Thank you Tim! You can get the Syncro fan unit from here: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXAXAD&P=8

Other discussions - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1420174

Ok, I'll be updating whenever I can. I will be adding some video and some FPV as well. I should be able to maiden it today! [Maiden was GREAT by the way. Read my post later int he thread.]

Owner Experiences:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondside View Post
Finally got to maiden the Syncro today, man, she fly's great!! Glider wing first, hand launch with full throttle, and 30* up angle, cause she will pitch over a little in the first 10 feet, then climbs out at 30* up angle. Climbed to about 1000 ft, trimed, throttled back to 30% did some inside and outside loops, on low rate (50%), inside loops much tighter than outside.
Then put the sport wing on, hand launched the same way, she climbed out at 45%, got to 1000 ft in no time. Used the same settings for both wings using a DX6, with Orange receiver from HK, ($6.99), motor from Nitroplanes Elite 400 4200KVA ($11.95), servos, left over from my Hawk-sky. Handles better than the Hawl-sky, not as twitchy. Was a little brezzy (5-10 mph w gusts to 20)
Very Satisfied!!!

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Paint was dry and I was dying to get my plane in the air. Despite two years in the hobby this was the first actual kit plane I put together. Made some silly mistakes but it was a good learning experience. All the supplied hardware is great, and I LOVE that they include extra. We finally had some sun and blue skies in CT so I got to my field late afternoon. Winds were a bit much, steady at 10mph, gusting to 15-20 here and there. Lined the plane up sideways on our tar landing strip and let her rip. I had the glider wing on and up in went in about 10 feet. Climbed out nice, but nothing crazy, in part because of the wind. I trimmed it out and had a blast, got about 10 minutes on a 2200 3 cell, lot's of floating. In terms of catching thermals, I think that will be tough. Plane is a tad on the heavy side. Next up, the sport wing. Another mistake....full travel and no expo. this time it took almost the full width of the runway and just barely cleared the grass. I barely touched the controls and i was doing a roll. WAY to sensitive and even tougher with the wind. Went with 70% throws and 70% expo...perfect. I buzzed the field and was doing some 3D moved and really having a blast. Comes in pretty fast to land, so it took 3 tries before I had it. The wheels are close together so it tipped back and forth and scuffed the wings, nothing big. I had changed to the 1800 for the sport wing but the plane was really tail heavy. went back to the 2200 and it was noticeable how much longer it took to ROG, but once it got going it was a real hoot. I really enjoyed this plane. So much so I bought another, and will do that one up in black and red I think. I'll get pics up tomorrow of my plane and the wing combos. I ran an e-flite 30 amp esc, suggested Ammo motor, and Tower Pro Metal Gear servos.
If you are not fond of off-topic rants and antics on the topic of forum-etiquete, by all means, please continue to later on the second page where the relevant content begins to fill back in>>http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1424083&page=2 ..either way, have fun.
cplus is offline Find More Posts by cplus
Last edited by cplus; Jun 08, 2011 at 01:59 AM. Reason: more..
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:13 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,318 Posts
... a little late...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1420174
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:27 AM
Joined Jan 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
Obviously you didn't read the thread you linked to or the OP 'Links' section where I link to that thread. They are discussing custom edf gliders and other topics as well. It is not an owners thread. Isn't there rule against trolling here? I'm trying to be productive and I don't have the time to do it if I have to come here and explain, to someone who doesn't read, what is going. Do you own a Syncro? If you do, please stay and contribute otherwise please help keep this thread useful by keeping it clean. NO OFF TOPIC REPLIES.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:41 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,318 Posts
Umm, ok - have a great day.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:41 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,318 Posts
Oh wait, that was off topic, sorry 'bout that.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:42 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,318 Posts
Really, have a great day.
Last edited by JimNM; Apr 16, 2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:44 AM
Joined Jan 2011
19 Posts
patching thing up

Don't have a great day, impress the day with your greatness. =)
Last edited by cplus; Apr 16, 2011 at 06:21 AM. Reason: I need data [community] data points
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:49 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,318 Posts
Hey, that is off topic! A nice way to make yourself known on RCGROUPS.

Really, have a nice day
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:09 AM
Joined Jan 2011
19 Posts
If you represent what RCGroups has to offer as a community, this place is really sad. Not only are an idiot troll, but you're proud of it and so far seem to get away with it. I don't understand why you would treat a contributing member this way. You likely think you are special because of your post count and that I am insignificant because of mine. You are one clear part of what is wrong in our in our sad world and you bring it here to a community where creative ambitious people like to share discussion and you attempt to disrupt.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:21 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, OK, Henryetta
Joined Nov 2005
25,333 Posts
cplus,

Welcome to the Internet.

You will notice if you stay here on RCG that threads rarely stay on topic for more than 4 or 5 posts and even if you ask politely for people to stay on topic they won't. I know, it's sad, but that's just how it is. There are actually some folks here on RCG that will follow you around and post off topic posts in your thread simply because they can and there is nothing one can do about it. It's just how it is. You have to learn to live with it, press on with the thread, and become thick skinned if you plan to stick around.

and BTW, you got JimNM figured all wrong. He is one a the reasons I am in this hobby today. He happens to be one of the nicest guys you will "meet" here on RCG and is very helpful and knowledgeable about RC.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your plane.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:24 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
This whole 'Owners Thread' thing annoys me. One thread is enough.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:29 PM
Joined Jan 2011
19 Posts
I am human and make rash decisions sometimes because I care so much about everything that I do. Rash suggests irrational but where I finally reside is anything but.
Last edited by cplus; Apr 16, 2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:53 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
cplus, can't say I'm sorry to see you go: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...61&postcount=7
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Apr 15, 2011, 01:00 PM
Joined Jan 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
cplus, can't say I'm sorry to see you go: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...61&postcount=7
yeah, I was trolled immediately there too for not having pictures immediately, the thing was new!; You don't even give a person here a chance to get started. I have great potential to contribute a lot here. But this place is too stuffy and full of sad oooold men with not much to their lives obviously. If anything, I take this as a queue to never be like you losers. I'm sure ill find the community i was looking for to discuss my hobby. It is def not here.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 02:48 PM
Joined Apr 2008
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cplus View Post
yeah, I was trolled immediately there too for not having pictures immediately, the thing was new!; You don't even give a person here a chance to get started. I have great potential to contribute a lot here. But this place is too stuffy and full of sad oooold men with not much to their lives obviously. If anything, I take this as a queue to never be like you losers. I'm sure ill find the community i was looking for to discuss my hobby. It is def not here.
Your an Idiot
bfry is offline Find More Posts by bfry