HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2011, 01:19 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Nov 2010
90 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone Radian motor won't work, Help

Just got my Radian 3 weeks ago, put it together the first week and went to fly but too windy, at that time everything worked fine. Took it out today and motor does not respond to Tx. Everything else works. I have good batteries, completed charged Lipo. I even checked the throttle control using FMS and it works. I tried swapping servo channel on Rx to another and still nothing. When I first connect the Lipo sometimes the props move slightly during init power up but nothing else.
Any suggestions?
Wayne
nkcook is offline Find More Posts by nkcook
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2011, 02:13 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,137 Posts
You didn't mention what type of radio you have, but you need to be sure your throttle is at full idle and that the throttle trim is all the way down so the ESC can arm. Since your servos are working, your BEC circuit and receiver are not the problem. In 90+% of the cases like you describe, it's almost always the throttle channel settings that are the problem.

Try this first. Remove the prop from your motor. Make sure you have the throttle travel adjustments set to at least 100% in both directions. Trim your throttle idle to max low trim position and then plug in your RX and see what happens. If it still doesn't arm, unplug the RX, reverse the throttle channel (either by a reversing switch or by programming depending on your TX type), and then plug in the RX and see if it works. If it still doesn't work, plug the ESC into the Elevator channel of your RX, turn on the RX and move the elevator to full up and hold it there for a five count. BE CAREFUL because if the ESC arms, it will start the motor as soon as you release the throttle. If the ESC doesn't arm, move the elevator to the full down position and hold it there for a count of five.

Let us know what you find out.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jan 06, 2011, 04:14 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Nov 2010
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
You didn't mention what type of radio you have, but you need to be sure your throttle is at full idle and that the throttle trim is all the way down so the ESC can arm. Since your servos are working, your BEC circuit and receiver are not the problem. In 90+% of the cases like you describe, it's almost always the throttle channel settings that are the problem.

Try this first. Remove the prop from your motor. Make sure you have the throttle travel adjustments set to at least 100% in both directions. Trim your throttle idle to max low trim position and then plug in your RX and see what happens. If it still doesn't arm, unplug the RX, reverse the throttle channel (either by a reversing switch or by programming depending on your TX type), and then plug in the RX and see if it works. If it still doesn't work, plug the ESC into the Elevator channel of your RX, turn on the RX and move the elevator to full up and hold it there for a five count. BE CAREFUL because if the ESC arms, it will start the motor as soon as you release the throttle. If the ESC doesn't arm, move the elevator to the full down position and hold it there for a count of five.

Let us know what you find out.

McD
McD,
Thanks that's exactly what I found out by experimentation. Got it working. Took a little work to get the glide trim set up but patience paid off. Like all Radian's took a lot of down elevator to keep from looping on climb out. Did the dive test and worked out fine.
Made a 12 minute flight, this thing really lifts easy. Flying over a snow covered field with patches of brown dirt made finding lift pretty easy. I even let go of the stick and it just flies by itself.
I made four more short flights to practice landings and climbs. All went well. On my last short flight (lipo was getting low), I caught a gust of wind and over corrected, wing tip caught a tumbleweed and it nosed over. My luck the nose hit right on a rock (only one around for 10yds) and snapped the nose right off.
All in all a great time, now to glue it all back togther. Love the Radian.
Wayne
nkcook is offline Find More Posts by nkcook
Old Jan 06, 2011, 05:11 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkcook View Post
Love the Radian.
Wayne
Glad you got it flying. Sorry about the nose, but a little 5-minute epoxy should have you back in the air ASAP.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Aug 2012
27 Posts
Motor wont arm

I'm having the same problem with my Radian. The motor spools up to about half throttle, then it just cuts off. I was trying to test it as a glider (no batteries) and it stalled then came down on its nose - cracked clean off. I guess its to be expected...I'm totally new to flying. When you first launch, do you use full throttle?
I'm not sure why to motor won't arm... I'm suppose to charge the Lipo to 11.1 v (balanced) right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkcook View Post
McD,
Thanks that's exactly what I found out by experimentation. Got it working. Took a little work to get the glide trim set up but patience paid off. Like all Radian's took a lot of down elevator to keep from looping on climb out. Did the dive test and worked out fine.
Made a 12 minute flight, this thing really lifts easy. Flying over a snow covered field with patches of brown dirt made finding lift pretty easy. I even let go of the stick and it just flies by itself.
I made four more short flights to practice landings and climbs. All went well. On my last short flight (lipo was getting low), I caught a gust of wind and over corrected, wing tip caught a tumbleweed and it nosed over. My luck the nose hit right on a rock (only one around for 10yds) and snapped the nose right off.
All in all a great time, now to glue it all back togther. Love the Radian.
Wayne
flyhigh42 is offline Find More Posts by flyhigh42
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:29 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Jul 2006
92 Posts
flighhigh
Charge your battery to about 12.5 if you're going to use it that day. If you plan to leave it out of use for a bit a storage charge of about 11.5 is better. I don't usually use my batteries as low as 11.1.
As the radian is a powered GLIDER, the intended method of flight is full power as quickly as possible to gliding altitude then power off and glide.
However that does not prevent you from using it as a trainer for a newbie and flying around at lower power while you get used to controlling an RC airplane.
EK
ekletke is offline Find More Posts by ekletke