SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 18, 2011, 02:16 PM
Fly like never crash as always
Rio de Janeiro
Joined Mar 2007
275 Posts
Finally took a deep breath and jumped on it. Took me less than 1 hour to do my first and I fumbled a lot to solder in order to get it perfect.

RHCP, right?

I donīt bank a lot with my EZ ( at least when Iīm far away ), thatīs why I chose this one for the aerial.

My immediate intentions are to cover my GP patch reflector corner and use it with this one.

sanity check someone??

tascheri is offline Find More Posts by tascheri
Last edited by tascheri; May 18, 2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: picture included
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2011, 02:20 PM
ysb
use the force..or a quadcopter
quebec
Joined Dec 2010
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncoz View Post
For what It's worth...
I made a set of CP's for my 5.8Ghz parkflier, hope to try them tomorrow.
I worked this template out to help with bending, might be useful to someone.
If the antennae perform well I'll post pics.
Cheers !
thanks i will check my Cloverleaf on this template
ysb is offline Find More Posts by ysb
Old May 18, 2011, 02:42 PM
Oh so close!
Campbell River
Joined Jan 2010
702 Posts
Use this for my router?

Sorry to go off-topic for a second.

If I build a 2.4ghz version and modify my stock whip antenna that came with my router would I get better range? I'm over a my neighbours place a lot and get spotty reception. Maybe this might help? If I do build one just orient it so it is facing up?

cheers
clipper99 is offline Find More Posts by clipper99
Old May 18, 2011, 03:28 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper99 View Post
Sorry to go off-topic for a second.

If I build a 2.4ghz version and modify my stock whip antenna that came with my router would I get better range? I'm over a my neighbours place a lot and get spotty reception. Maybe this might help? If I do build one just orient it so it is facing up?

cheers
It's hard to say. My first though is probably not. However a 3/2 wave dipole would do pretty well.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old May 18, 2011, 03:29 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tascheri View Post
Finally took a deep breath and jumped on it. Took me less than 1 hour to do my first and I fumbled a lot to solder in order to get it perfect.

RHCP, right?

I donīt bank a lot with my EZ ( at least when Iīm far away ), thatīs why I chose this one for the aerial.

My immediate intentions are to cover my GP patch reflector corner and use it with this one.

sanity check someone??

That looks pretty good to me. I see you reversed you GP patch panel like I suggested. Watch how clean your video is now.

-Alex
Old May 18, 2011, 04:05 PM
Rio de Janeiro
Joined Mar 2007
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
That looks pretty good to me. I see you reversed you GP patch panel like I suggested. Watch how clean your video is now.

-Alex
thx buddy! Rain is fading and the weekend is going to rock!! too bad my GS DVR had to be returned and I wonīt be able to share video.

in fact I had built the GP like that from the beginning, I didnīt go back to look at pictures after I printed the template and it just came out like that.

BTW, Iīm using aluminum panels with small tin squares riveted to it ( thatīs where I solder the connections ). Do you see any issues?? Should I still cover the dog ear on the reflector or just test it like that??

sorry to bother you again.
Old May 18, 2011, 10:22 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
I think you'll be ok with it how it is. The GP patch is a copy of K5OE's dual band patch for dish feed which was designed back in the 1950's. The trimming of the corners was to allow the second patch to radiate at the fringes.

-Alex
Old May 21, 2011, 10:50 AM
Rio de Janeiro
Joined Mar 2007
275 Posts
Alex, your really got me... best video ever... I took my vee to compare but I never bothered to even mount it. the static is less than seldom. Lost signal behind a mountain but I was really pushing it low on the other side...just eased on the elevator and signal came back in less than a second. got some static flying 3 meters high and 200 meters away but right in the beam of a very big cell phone mast. flew a mile upwind with absolutely no degradation.

Almost lost my plane today... I did a very stupid thing, my Video Bat + wire got loose of the connector so I flew off the charging connector... It was good down to 10.9 volts... but then.... just lost it completely in a flash... I was 600 m away and donīt ask me how I spotted it because I donīt know... My 2 spotters only saw it when I was like 200 m away..
Old May 21, 2011, 11:39 AM
la fabrique circulaire
geneva
Joined Jan 2008
550 Posts
my Skew-Planar

if you want more detail about building, it is here

terry74 is offline Find More Posts by terry74
Old May 21, 2011, 11:44 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
I just bought one of these from RMRC, a set with the cloverleaf. I have the inverted vee on my plane, and I'm going to use this with my Eagle Eyes diversity feature.

I'll try this first, then the cloverleaf and see how much difference there is.

I just modified my ground station last night, here it is with the mods:
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old May 22, 2011, 09:23 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
Put the cloverleaf on the plane and forget the Vee. There is hardly any comparison. It's that good

-Alex
Old May 22, 2011, 10:12 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Put the cloverleaf on the plane and forget the Vee. There is hardly any comparison. It's that good

-Alex
I was thinking about that, but I thought you mentioned one other time the Vee might be better for when I dip below the treeline.

My Cloverleaf is the blubeam without the cable, so should I just turn the tx where it is and stick it on there? (see pic's) Or should I put it up front just behind the prop, which is the highest point on the plane.
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old May 23, 2011, 05:42 AM
Spain
Joined May 2011
93 Posts
Can I use 1.1mm thickness galvanized steel to build this antenna (and the cloverleaf) for 1280mhz?

thanks
datyip is offline Find More Posts by datyip
Old May 23, 2011, 08:32 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
I was thinking about that, but I thought you mentioned one other time the Vee might be better for when I dip below the treeline.

My Cloverleaf is the blubeam without the cable, so should I just turn the tx where it is and stick it on there? (see pic's) Or should I put it up front just behind the prop, which is the highest point on the plane.
The Vee/Biquad will do better when dipping behind trees, but in general the CL/SPW is the absolute best antenna combination you can fly.
Old May 23, 2011, 08:33 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datyip View Post
Can I use 1.1mm thickness galvanized steel to build this antenna (and the cloverleaf) for 1280mhz?

thanks
You meant the patch? yes. The Skew-wheel and cloverleaf? If it's 1.1mm wire, yes. I never thought about it, but bailing wire would probably work fine for this antenna too.

-Alex