SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 09, 2010, 07:18 PM
LSF V,LSF Secretary,AMA Lifer
Huntsville
Joined Oct 2003
2,077 Posts
Build Log
Ava Pro build

The Ava Pro has been out a while, I've assembled 3 of them (all for friends). I'm getting around to one for me now, might as well do a build thread so others can tell me what I've been doing wrong.

So here we go.

I start at the back end. Cut away the covering material from the slot in the rudder where the horn will mount. I put the horn on the right side of the rudder. Scratch up the area of the horn that will see glue and clean it up with alcohol. Glue it in with 5 minute epoxy. I used West Systems G5.
Robglover is offline Find More Posts by Robglover
Last edited by Robglover; Nov 11, 2010 at 08:07 AM. Reason: add epoxy used
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2010, 08:12 PM
Huntsville
Joined Oct 2003
2,077 Posts
After the epoxy has cured I slide the fin and rudder on to the tail boom, as far forward as it will go. I use a silver sharpy marker to mark the location of the fin retainer slot on the tail boom.

Let the ink dry a bit, then slide the fin off and use a small flat file to file a notch into the tail boom at the marked location. The notch will need to be .030 inch deep or so, it's not too critical. This notch will allow the fin retaining clip to drop a bit further down and hold the fin on more securely.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 08:21 PM
Huntsville
Joined Oct 2003
2,077 Posts
Now slide the stab mount on. Mount the stab and fin. You can then see where the stab mount needs to be on the boom and mark the location with a couple pieces of tape. I like to mount the stab as far aft as it will go without interfering with the fin.

Remove the fin and stab mount and sand the tail boom surface where the mount will be glued. I also sand the inner surface of the stab mount at the bond line.

The stab mount will be a bit loose on the boom. I stick some carbon or glass cloth into the mount with 3M77 to tighten it up.
Last edited by Robglover; Nov 09, 2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 08:36 PM
Huntsville
Joined Oct 2003
2,077 Posts
Slide the stab and mount back into place and reattach the fin and rudder assembly. The stab mount should be pretty tight, but loose enough to move into place.

Jig everything into alignment and drag out your best eyecrometer to check alignment.

Check the alignment again. Once you're satisfied a drop of thin CA at the joint between the stab mount and tailboom will lock things in place. Now you can pick it all up and wick thin CA into the joint to make a permanent bond.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 08:45 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,453 Posts
I used the upside down method. Used a dead flat marble table and then a square to get the rudder dead on. I also did not use the vertical stab holding method. I simply drilled a tiny hole and screwed a small button head screw on. Holds tight and comes off in an instant if needed.
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:07 AM
United States, IN
Joined May 2008
237 Posts
Thank's for starting the thread, as I'm about ready to start my AP build. I'll be watching closely!!

Marc 540
marc 540 is offline Find More Posts by marc 540
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:04 AM
Huntsville
Joined Oct 2003
2,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R View Post
I used the upside down method. Used a dead flat marble table and then a square to get the rudder dead on. I also did not use the vertical stab holding method. I simply drilled a tiny hole and screwed a small button head screw on. Holds tight and comes off in an instant if needed.
It takes a bit more work to use the supplied retainer, but it requires no tools for use and no screws to lose in the grass while putting the plane together. Carry a few spares.

Builders choice.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:45 AM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,569 Posts
NICE!!! That ain't you Granddaddy's Windsong...
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Nov 10, 2010, 01:53 PM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
Oh, so that's how mine was built
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Old Nov 10, 2010, 07:14 PM
Huntsville
Joined Oct 2003
2,077 Posts
I didn't get much done today because the weather was too darn nice. I was forced to go outside and enjoy it.

I like to make my own pushrod ends for the aft end. They are a whole gram lighter per end, which is really great if you are a weight weenie (I'm not). Basically I just like to silver solder itty bitty pieces of 304 stainless steel together so I do my own.

The threaded couplers and clevises provided work well, and it's time to epoxy whatever you use to the carbon rods.
I used West systems Gflex for these joints.
Last edited by Robglover; Nov 11, 2010 at 08:07 AM. Reason: add epoxy used
Old Nov 10, 2010, 07:16 PM
I just wanna fly
USA, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Jul 2005
600 Posts
So far, so good. Don't forget the salsa jars when it comes time to attach the pod and boom.

Curious minds will want to know.
slozuke is offline Find More Posts by slozuke
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:36 PM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slozuke View Post
So far, so good. Don't forget the salsa jars when it comes time to attach the pod and boom.
Oh no! pod and boom attachment requires a rather stout ale. Rob, what's your recommended pod and boom attachment ale?
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:18 PM
Huntsville
Joined Oct 2003
2,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atjurhs View Post
Oh no! pod and boom attachment requires a rather stout ale. Rob, what's your recommended pod and boom attachment ale?
It's Monkeynaut IPA this week. Growlers are available.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:08 AM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,470 Posts
ohhh, growlers available! Can't wait for the pod and boom attach! Rob you going 2.4 on this one? I just went 2.4 on a standard, and to say the least it was interesting!Buried 9300, external Ants, twin remotes in the spoiler bays, but works perfectly with no frame losses and no holds!

Al
alstrahm is online now Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:05 AM
Huntsville
Joined Oct 2003
2,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrahm View Post
ohhh, growlers available! Can't wait for the pod and boom attach! Rob you going 2.4 on this one? I just went 2.4 on a standard, and to say the least it was interesting!Buried 9300, external Ants, twin remotes in the spoiler bays, but works perfectly with no frame losses and no holds!

Al
Al -
2.4 for sure. I'd hate to even think of going back to 72 mHz. I've been using 9300's with internal antennae and remote in the wing with good results.