HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2009, 12:48 PM
Joined Mar 2009
25 Posts
Build Log
Riva Aquarama 1/10 scratch build from plans.

I just the other week got the plans I bought from Online Hobbies. It's an Amati set of plans and they consisted of 5 sheets of A0 size detailed plans and parts.
I got a local copyshop to make me 2 sets of copies 1:1 so that I can aford to make a mistake without damaging the originals. As it was black and white it was not expensive at all. 150 NOK pr. set of 5 sheets.

I have never built any sort of model and this will probably get "exiting" fast.

So, I sat down and started to cut out the parts for the keel and proceeded to cut them out on my bandsaw. This turned out to be a disaster waiting to happen because of the unreliability of the bandsaw, finally the band snapped becausse I tightened it too much in an effort to get a straight cut from it and I packed it in.
Next morning I got me a nice contour saw. It was heaven.

I spendt two afternoons getting the keel and the frames cut out and dryfitted.

Here are some pics:

Keyzer
Keyzersooze is offline Find More Posts by Keyzersooze
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2009, 05:28 PM
New Jersey
Joined Aug 2008
117 Posts
Keyzersooze:

Good luck with your project. What are the dimensions? (By the way, where ae you located? Norway?)

Your post touches on an point that I regularly make to my wife. I always tell her that each new project around the house or down in the basement boatworks presents me with an opportunity...to buy a new tool.

Cheers,
Capt. Spaulding
capt. spauldin is offline Find More Posts by capt. spauldin
Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:44 AM
Joined Mar 2009
25 Posts
Thanks, yes Im in Norway. Spring is finally approaching.
The lenght is 86cm, not quite sure of the beam though, havent measured. Today I had to make the keel over, I wasnt happy with the one I made on the bandsaw.
I need some tips on how to make steady jig for the boat. I'm not sure on how to make it steady enough to prevent twisting.
Keyzer
Last edited by Keyzersooze; Mar 29, 2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Forgetfulness
Old Mar 30, 2009, 08:33 AM
Joined Mar 2009
25 Posts
Work continues

I got the new keel made on the new saw and it turned out much nicer.

I got going on the re-inforcements on the nbr. 11 frame and made the piece for the curved transom.

I also got together a makeshift jig to hold the thing in place, its not the most elaborate design and I will probably have to re-build it many times over as the build progress, but I can live with it. I made the Jig from Teak scraps I had. It it hard enough to be steady and takes nails pretty well.

I included a couple of pics from my workshop as well, I think its always nice to see the "natural habitat" of the buliders, especially since we are located all over the world.

All the best Keyzer
Old Mar 30, 2009, 03:29 PM
Joined Mar 2009
25 Posts
So, V8 or Brushless?

Motor question:

Would 2 of these get me on the plane? I want serious plane not just a nose up waddle.
The boat is 86 cm long and will probably weigh in at a couple of kg, maybe 2-3 kg.

I need help with this, I have no experience with electric motors.

Thanks, Keyzer.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 05:10 AM
Joined Nov 2009
18 Posts
Hello, sad to see no more news and photos on this thread !

I am an old RC fan (cars, helis, speed boats) as well as Electric trains in N scale... and I want to make my first scale, wood base boat with my son, and am currently investigating which riva building, kit, or from plans..

so all this threads are very interesting to me...

I have time, and I just want ti to be a close to perfect as possible... to have a nice boat to be proud of, and to play with. I wish it to be superb probably like the Kiade models and trouble free for operations, how much time and efforts and $$ i put in it is not the matter, it is just the end result which counts...

Intention was initially 1/10th scare, with two brushless motors, water cooled. LIPO powered.

Radios, I have many, patience also... but never built a wood base boat... I believe it has to be carefully done, waterproofed also, probably with resin inside..

any advice is welcome...

thanks
papymouzot is online now Find More Posts by papymouzot
Old Dec 01, 2009, 04:56 PM
Joined Mar 2009
25 Posts
Just got going on the project again

Hi there,
Just got the project going again, having had a pause during summer.
Tonight I glued all the frames in position and I will continue on the internal panels to stiffen the hull up before planking. I need to get new planking though, both layers, as the ones I got are not the right dimentions. I still need help on the electric motors, and I was wondering if the standard ones offered with the set are a bit weak. Anyone got any experience?

Thanks for the comment papymouzot, I will ad more photos later. I will cover the inside with epoxy and the outside with epoxy and fiberglass. I'm a rookie builder myself, but any questions I can answer I will do my best to help with.

Keyzer
Old Dec 06, 2009, 11:46 AM
chicago
Joined Aug 2008
326 Posts
hi
i have one that i got builded from e-bay as a staict model i cut the floors out and the trouble i going to have is mounting the rudders unless i cut the back deck open any ideas ,thanks
rye 332 is offline Find More Posts by rye 332
Old Dec 06, 2009, 09:24 PM
chicago
Joined Aug 2008
326 Posts
riva

here some pictures
Old Dec 07, 2009, 09:01 AM
Sweden, Landskrona
Joined Sep 2004
93 Posts
Those motors might be a bit much, unless you plan to gear them, 34.000 rpm om 3s lipo will have it flying. A reduction of 2,5:1 will give you 13.600 rpm on the propshaft.
Darkside is offline Find More Posts by Darkside
Old Dec 07, 2009, 07:44 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,823 Posts
Rye332- I have to agree with darkside, that those motors you plan on using in a 34” hull are a bit of over kill. The rpm’s are going to be way to high using 3 LiPo packs. You will be running just under 38,000 rpm’s and prop’s would be like 1” or less in diameter. Don’t for get you will be running counter rotation motors and props to make the boat a little less squirrelly down the straight away.

I think a better choice is a motor around 1000 kv running direct drive with 1 1/2” dia. 3 blade props counter rotating. Running with 3 LiPo packs you would be running at around 11,500 rpm on each motor, more than enough to have that boat flying. By the way you never mentioned how much the boat weights.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Last edited by frankg; Jan 22, 2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2009, 08:14 PM
Sweden, Landskrona
Joined Sep 2004
93 Posts
frankg: he did mention it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyzersooze View Post
Motor question:

Would 2 of these get me on the plane? I want serious plane not just a nose up waddle.
The boat is 86 cm long and will probably weigh in at a couple of kg, maybe 2-3 kg.

I need help with this, I have no experience with electric motors.

Thanks, Keyzer.
Darkside is offline Find More Posts by Darkside
Old Dec 07, 2009, 11:52 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,222 Posts
models or real boats.

Always do rudders thru the rear cockpit & rear seat removal. Re-enforce after the rudders work. Seats hide everything done.

Rich
cyclops2 is online now Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Dec 08, 2009, 06:40 PM
chicago
Joined Aug 2008
326 Posts
hey guys i was not the one who ask about the motor but thanks ,do you have a web site for the 1000 kv and which esc should i use for this ,thanks rye
Old Dec 08, 2009, 07:10 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,823 Posts
Sorry darkside, I missed the 2 to 3 kg. That’s about 6 1/2lb =3kg, correct?
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg