Old May 18, 2015, 07:05 PM
Find More Posts by bladefan
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jun 2006
382 Posts
Discussion
3d plane for me?

Hi Guys,
I'm deciding what to get (if anything). Thinking about 40 in or 50 inch plane. My airstrip is pretty sketchy (see photo). Its essentially a small embankment. I might have to hand launch and harrier land. My house is the grey one with the grass. I've got plenty of neighbors but out my backdoor its pretty free of people. I'd say my landing strip is about 10 yards wide.

Experience-wise- i'm having a blast with 32in EPP foam and have a 35in profile balsa sabre 35
http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...dy-to-fly.html

I hand catch a eflite 2m Radian glider and can grease a landing if the conditions are right. I have a HK Bushmaster but I hate landing it in my backyard. Feels like I have to land it hot to avoid stalling.

What I'm thinking of-
maybe Eflite slick 480 3d vs 3dhs Slick

or maybe bigger-
PA -X52 vs PA addiction or PA addiction XL vs Valuehobby X51
http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...ls.php?pid=797
http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...ls.php?pid=635
http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...bre-x-arf.html

Or perhaps starting out with the VH X51 with the cheap gear and then going to the x-52 blinged out later with the extreme iPA.

any input is welcome. I'm beginner 3d. I can hover and harrier my current 3d profile planes. I would likely maiden and do several flights in a more forgiving area.
bladefan is offline Find More Posts by bladefan
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2015, 08:01 PM
Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Time will tell
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,769 Posts
Extreme flight 60" Edge (or 48").
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old May 23, 2015, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by KE Spin
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,731 Posts
Basically, you can't really go wrong with anything from 3DHS/Extremeflight. Really happy about the merger as these are my 2 favorite rc plane companies. Really happy that I don't have to feel like I'm cheating on one while flying the other anymore.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old May 24, 2015, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Time will tell
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,769 Posts
you can't really go wrong with anything from 3DHS/Extremeflight

You can go sub-optimal, in the sense of not maximizing your fun per $USD.

I'm not sure why we her the refrain that "you can't really go wrong with anything from 3DHS/Extremeflight," but I'd take that more as a compliment and sign of appreciation toward 3DHS and EF than sound purchasing advice.

Get the Extreme Flight Edge 48" or 60". If you fly a lot on the sim and your foam planes, and are quite daring, you might instead want the 48" MXS if you like high energy. In my view, the 48" MXS is the most fun per $USD.

Avoid (for a first plane, based on study of forum posts over the years, and experience in the case of #2 and #3):

1. 3DHS 59" Slick (discontinued anyway, not as good as 51" slick per feedback I remember getting and reading, also always in stock long after the 51" slicks sold out--another indicator)
2. Super Vyper (not good for learning 3D)
3. Extreme Flight profile yak (mine was fun, but squirelly--probably had it set up for too high speed. Not good for learning 3D, probably not available anyway).
4. Big foot. Not a quick build.
5. Extreme Flight specialty planes (outlaw, Vanquish). I would like to get one of each of these planes, but not for 3D.
6. Biplanes. I love them, but they are not good for learning 3D.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old May 24, 2015, 12:01 PM
Find More Posts by theKM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,883 Posts
bladefan, sounds like you want the great beginner models... 48" 3DHS Edge has a wire landing gear which is great if you want to learn harrier landings and things. If you're prepared to go a little easier on the gear (read, carbon gear), all the 42"-48" models from EF and 3DHS have brought more people into the flying of 3D than we can count. The Edge's from both brands are great to learn harrier.

The highest bang for buck in all of 3D, imho, performs absurdly well... is the 42" Slick, which is in stock at the moment... although we have an update coming for it soon in a couple of months or so.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old May 24, 2015, 02:10 PM
Find More Posts by Poffertjesporem
Thumbs are overrated.
The Netherlands, NB, Sint-Michielsgestel
Joined Nov 2014
140 Posts
I started with the Addiction x as my first balsa plane. Slow landing speed, exelent stall charactaristics, and an dream to knife edge. Also it has massive control surfaces in case you make a mistake. I fly her without fear of craching at landing, regulary above 15mph winds.
Poffertjesporem is offline Find More Posts by Poffertjesporem
Last edited by Poffertjesporem; May 24, 2015 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old May 24, 2015, 07:37 PM
Find More Posts by Dan the man
Sydney Kingsford, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
273 Posts
Bladefan,

Look mate I reckon your either looking at an Addiction X or EF Edge 48". I have not flown the Addy X but I hear it is incredibly user friendly.

The advantage of the EF Edge 48" is it will grow with you. My first Balsa 3D plane was the EF Edge and it was a great learning tool that is repairable and will go to hell and back. You can also pimp it to be a monster.

I hope this helps.

All the Best

Danny
Dan the man is offline Find More Posts by Dan the man
Old May 25, 2015, 10:20 PM
Find More Posts by bladefan
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jun 2006
382 Posts
Thank you for all the responses and the reasoning provided. I'm sure each of the planes mentioned have a thread here on rcg I can use to do some further research. The 42in planes sound better to me because of my small landing area. It seems to me size might not matter that much. But without actual experience it is hard for me to guage.

I'm wondering if I should consider a profile epp of 42 to 51 inches first. Then I would have a better approximation of what I would be getting into before going full balsa. Or perhaps a skywing type model. Full fuse/epp hybrid.
bladefan is offline Find More Posts by bladefan
Old Yesterday, 04:35 AM
Find More Posts by Poffertjesporem
Thumbs are overrated.
The Netherlands, NB, Sint-Michielsgestel
Joined Nov 2014
140 Posts
IMO you should go the epp route first, so you can crash it without fear of wrighting it of. Just keep in mind that bigger does fly better, specialy when flying in wind.
Poffertjesporem is offline Find More Posts by Poffertjesporem