New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:11 PM
Find More Posts by jjstanley
Joined Apr 2014
65 Posts
Discussion
Manta Ray Foamie

Over the summer my nephews and I wanted to do a unique scratch build project. We decided on a powered glider and then chose to replicate a manta ray. The goal was to keep the build relatively simple and just get the look close rather than get it exact. The construction is quite similar to the Versa from Flite Test with a slot and prop for power.

Tonight I got it running so wanted to try it without the heads and tail to keep it simple. I did several flights and they were good but not great. I moved the CG forward a couple times but I think I don't have it quite far enough forward yet. The other issue is lateral stability . I would prefer to not make the tail larger as I would like to keep it fairly scale but thinking of a couple smaller strakes along the bottom at the joints. That way they would still have nice clean air even in high alpha.

It isn't right yet but close for sure. I cut of the pointy tips and that helped the lateral stability some and I think the tail will help with that as well. The power is awesome with unlimited vertical! Paint will make it look a lot better too :-)

Any suggestions welcome!

Here is some clips of the flights.
Manta Ray Foamie (3 min 1 sec)
jjstanley is offline Find More Posts by jjstanley
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2014, 08:58 PM
Joined Apr 2014
65 Posts
I moved the CG forward 1/2" and added 2 strakes on the bottom and it flies much better. I didn't get any video but I was actually able to do some slope soaring with it. I wish the elevons were a bit larger though. There is adequate control but a bit more would not hurt.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 03:17 AM
Find More Posts by nuteman
Joined Apr 2013
981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstanley View Post
I wish the elevons were a bit larger though. There is adequate control but a bit more would not hurt.
Yup, that's what I find with really low aspect ratio planes like that. The one I did in the video below flies OK, but I feel like I should have made the elevons 50% bigger - then I'd really be able to yank it about at any speed and AOA.

Flight of Vectored Thrust Delta with takeoff landing (1 min 40 sec)
nuteman is online now Find More Posts by nuteman
Old Oct 04, 2014, 10:14 PM
Joined Apr 2014
65 Posts
I got a chance to slope soar it this afternoon and it is awesome!!

It way out performs my Alula clone. I launched without power every time and in 45 min of flying used the power less then 10 seconds total. I did 3 flights so average of 15 min each so very happy with that. I have a good start on the paint job so starting to look pretty realistic too.
I was by myself so no footage but hopefully tomorrow I will get some.