HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2008, 08:25 PM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,466 Posts
Discussion
gentle lady mods

Hi all,
I got 2 Gentle Ladys in the mail Saturday. I bought one from a shop in Canada and one on eba^ because I thought I got ripped off from the Canada shop. apparently not, Fedx and Ups came within 1/2 hour of each other! The purchases were made 3 weeks appart.

Any how I have been pondering modifications. Here is what I think I will do.
Drela foils ala Alegro, carbon spar caps, sheer web to tips, sheeting to tips and 1 inch behind spars, flat midsection wing with uni spoiler (again ala Alegro). Fuse mods will be just to make it as strong and light as possible.
My old GL and many others have required nose wieght so I think I will extend the nose to get the battery further forward I will compare stab and fin areas and go with area equal to the Alegro but use the GL form of construction.

Any thoughts on how best to extend the nose. I can glass, carve etc. as needed. I could do the old epoxy and nylon stocking routine over a foam mold.
OzMo
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2008, 09:56 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,938 Posts
If you're going to go high tech, don't extend the nose, but lighten the tail instead. I'll bet even if you don't mod the tail if you just pick the balsa really carefully, and minimize the weight of everything else back there, you can leave the nose as is.

Not sure changing how the panels in the wing go is going to buy you anything, and I can tell you that one long spoiler requires a lot more elevator compensation than two separate ones. Don't use the Allegro tail areas unless you're using the Allegro tail length.

Of course, what you describe sounds kind of like an entirely different wing, and in this case you might as well build an Allegro Lite wing. While you're at it, you can make an Allegro Lite fuselage and sell me the leftover kit.

I think if you're going to build from the kit, then just making a somewhat stronger, stiffer wing, putting a bit of "phillips entry" in the airfoil somehow, and sheeting on the front everywhere, are the only changes worth making. And only if you can somehow use most of the kit parts to do it. Otherwise, scratch building will be just as easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmo01
Hi all,
I got 2 Gentle Ladys in the mail Saturday. I bought one from a shop in Canada and one on eba^ because I thought I got ripped off from the Canada shop. apparently not, Fedx and Ups came within 1/2 hour of each other! The purchases were made 3 weeks appart.

Any how I have been pondering modifications. Here is what I think I will do.
Drela foils ala Alegro, carbon spar caps, sheer web to tips, sheeting to tips and 1 inch behind spars, flat midsection wing with uni spoiler (again ala Alegro). Fuse mods will be just to make it as strong and light as possible.
My old GL and many others have required nose wieght so I think I will extend the nose to get the battery further forward I will compare stab and fin areas and go with area equal to the Alegro but use the GL form of construction.

Any thoughts on how best to extend the nose. I can glass, carve etc. as needed. I could do the old epoxy and nylon stocking routine over a foam mold.
OzMo
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Jun 03, 2008, 01:04 AM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,466 Posts
yup, I intend to use as much of the kit as possible. I agree on not doing the center spoiler and extra polyhedral joint after thinking about it a while. I do want to go for Drela airfoil though. I have a small stash of really nice contest grade balsa for the tail feathers.
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
Old Jun 03, 2008, 11:15 AM
csc
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2004
251 Posts
Here is a link to some info on the topic, there are many others here too.

Gentle Lady Mods!
csc is offline Find More Posts by csc