HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2006, 09:35 PM
ParkFlyer
Joined Nov 2005
754 Posts
Discussion
Thunderpower balancing

Hello everyone,

I recently bought 2 Thunderpower 3s 1320mah 1p packs. Now, i dont have a watt meter and still need to get one and i know thats prety much a need but, do I HAVE to have a balancer for theas 1p packs or is ot mostly for 2p and up? Thanks for your help.

XF
xFxLxYxExR is offline Find More Posts by xFxLxYxExR
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2006, 05:28 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,552 Posts
You need to balance anything 2S and up no matter what the P.

RC
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Apr 18, 2006, 08:27 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,664 Posts
xFxLxYxExR

More important than a balancer is a watt / amp meter. Do not run your LiPolys at past max. ratings ever and try to stay below 70% of max. rating. Do not discharge below 3.7 V per cell open (resting ,no-load) and they should stay in balance well. You can check each cells voltage and charge each cell separately as a single cell to get them in balance if found to be out. A balancer is convent and is an additional safety device as well but not entirely necessary , especially if you have only a few LiPolys and do not push them to their limits.

Charles.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:44 PM
ParkFlyer
Joined Nov 2005
754 Posts
ya, i actualy only use 10 amps out of em, rated for 27 amps i belive.
xFxLxYxExR is offline Find More Posts by xFxLxYxExR
Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:48 PM
Hinesville, Ga
Joined Nov 2005
113 Posts
TP 205 balancer interrogative

Would the TP-205 balancer work with a TP 3S2P 4200 mAh "Pro Lite" 11.1V LiPoly?
Chaser is offline Find More Posts by Chaser
Old Apr 21, 2006, 06:37 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,664 Posts
TP-205 Balances 2S-5S Lipolys and the TP ProLite LiPolys which have factory balancing leads plug righ into the 205.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Apr 21, 2006, 07:33 AM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xFxLxYxExR
ya, i actualy only use 10 amps out of em, rated for 27 amps i belive.
But voltage after flight, after some time to rest, is what is also very important - if You will discharge lipos them too deep, unbalance will occur.
Unbalance is in most cases clear sign of damage. Until You will not damage Your Lipos, pack will remain balanced.
Some few unbalance could occut after months of usage or storage, caused by different rate of selfdischarge, but it counts in few single mAh and can be corrected by separate charge of each cell.
What I am allways suggesting, is protection agaist occasional failures (bad charger settings, charge of punctured cell or so), using any device (most balancerrs) that will authoritatively stop charger, or at least, scream loud enough to wake You up in case of any danger.
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Old Apr 21, 2006, 09:05 AM
Hinesville, Ga
Joined Nov 2005
113 Posts
Another

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
TP-205 Balances 2S-5S Lipolys and the TP ProLite LiPolys which have factory balancing leads plug righ into the 205.

Charles
Thanks all for the quick response!

I already have the TP-205, and a 3s1p 2100 PL. Had two 2100 PLs, but left one connected to the receiver on the bench for 24 hours! Of course it was ruined.

I assume from your answer and the statement on the site that the 3s2p charges as a 3 cell that the 205 would work. Thanks.

If I may ask another:

Since I already have a plane for the 2100PLs, I guess I could buy more 3s1p 2100PLs and use them as a 3s2p. How would they need to be connected to become a 3s2p?

Thanks in advance
Chaser is offline Find More Posts by Chaser