|Today, 12:08 PM|
Very Scale Air Epic Dornier DO-27 Personal Review...
This is my personal review & assembly/modifications I did to this excellent Air Epic Dornier DO-27 Scale airplane from BH. When I first saw this plane on BH's website, I knew I had to have it. It is a beautiful scale rendition of this post WWII STOL aircraft that, I feel, Air Epic did a superb job with size, detail, ease of assembly, & quality.
I watched the build & flight by Michael Heer posted on YouTube(attached links) that really helped with my decision to add this plane to my hangar. It was delivered by FedEx with a bit of damage to the shipping carton, although the plane was intact thanks to a dense foam container by the mfgr..
I always do a full examination/evaluation of a new model to determine if there are areas that could stand some improvements & if there are any loose fittings/connections/mountings. Since my ARF came without instructions, Michael Heer's video made assembly a breeze, although I didn't know the CG. I posted on BH's Vendor Listing & Alex, the BHCSR, provided the data & made notation no instructions were included.
The first order was to lay out everything, remove the cowl to check the motor mount & screws, balance the prop, & examine all the surfaces. The first thing is that the "feel" of the plane is heavy & the foam is very dense which indicates it will be strong. The decals were nice with no "bubbling/loose ends" that needed attention. I worked all the hinges to insure a smooth movement. I couldn't remove the battery hatch it had some glue holding it to the latch surface. I was able to separate it after inserting a thin machinist ruler in the latch crack to separate the 2 surfaces.
Here are the modifications in order of pics:
1) I decided to make a simple, easy alum. lift tab for further removal when changing batteries. Epoxied in place.
2) I balanced the prop which only took a 1/4" piece of Scotch tape to zero perfectly.
3) I enlarged the LG mounting holes with a .092(2.34mm) drill by hand to allow the screws to turn easily without shearing off the heads as most of the imported screws are fairly soft. I then mounted the LG with the supplied plastic tabs & evaluated the width of stance that I decided to widen a bit.
4) I removed the LG & epoxied the entire area where the plastic LG mount mated the fuselage.
5) To modify the LG, the LG covers had to be removed......these were Hex head screws, not Phillips....be careful.
6) I then placed the LG rods in my vise & bent both ends outward the same to insure they were parallel....approx. 1/2-5/8". Then the LG covers had to be opened up a bit to accommodate the angle change & reinstalled.
7)I used Dubro steel tabs to secure the LG.
8-9) When refitting the LG to the fuse, the angle change caused the fuse fitment tight, so a bit of relief was applied by light sanding of the fuse LG radius. I had already painted the exhaust pipes flat black.
10) When operating the rudder & elev., I noticed the rudder clevis hitting the elevator when full right rudder & down elev. was applied. I carefully used my Xacto to make a small "notch" for clearance.
11) CG location marker.
12) I installed a 4000mah 4s battery to check CG....plane is tail heavy as the battery location was quite a bit far forward of the battery tray.
13) I cut a piece of plywood to fit forward for batt. support.
14) Plywood epoxied in & Velcro added.
15-16-17) All finished ready for maiden. I changed the stock tires to 4" since all my flying is off grass.
18-19) C/L measurement of modified stance=14.5"
**There seems to be little venting thru the fuse for air travel, so I am considering an additional exit vent....have to look into where to do it so as not to destroy the scale attributes. The ESC does sit just behind the motor where there is an opening in the fuse behind the cowl.
That's my review/mods of this fine Scale model from Air Epic/BH. Here are the YouTube links of the build/maiden by Michael Heer.
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Review||Banana Hobby's Dornier DO 27 Review||Michael Heer||Electric Warbirds||15||Aug 28, 2014 08:45 PM|
|Discussion||Dornier DO-27 EP||Vern1960||Giant Electric Planes||0||Aug 28, 2014 07:08 AM|
|Discussion||Dornier DO 27 Assembled and Flown 7/4/14! (Post 5)||Michael Heer||Banana Hobby||15||Aug 27, 2014 11:44 AM|
|Discussion||Dornier Do 27 & Do 29||TedD60||Scale Drawings and Three Views||2||Apr 02, 2014 06:38 AM|
|Wanted||Dornier DO-27 Kit or Plans||old_dog||Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W)||0||Mar 11, 2008 02:26 PM|