HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2014, 07:36 AM
Joined Feb 2013
34 Posts
Discussion
LED light switch with servo?

I have a quadcopter that I've covered in LED lights that are powered by 12 volts, so I plugged them in to a 3S 500mah battery. I would like to be able to turn the lights on and off using a switch on my transmitter, so I've ordered one of these which does exactly that:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ed_Switch.html

While I wait four 6 weeks for it to arrive here in Canada from overseas, I've been trying to figure out if I can use a 9 gram servo to do this. I see tons of threads and tutorials powering a single LED from the power coming from the servo, but I can't find out if the servo can be used as a simple on/off switch to complete a circuit from the battery to the LEDs. Anyone know if this is possible or if there is another "hack" solution I could use?

Thanks in advance. I'm off to do some light painting with the quad!
coombs is offline Find More Posts by coombs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2014, 01:15 PM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,753 Posts
Sure, just attact a "momentary on" micro switch like this to the side of the servo so the arm presses the lever when you actuate it, an there you go.

David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2014, 01:41 PM
Joined Feb 2013
34 Posts
I was hoping for something digitally controlled like the HobbyKing switch. I imagine I would have to do it with a pico or arduino or something like that though. Perhaps I will just wait for the Turnigy one to arrive in the mail. I wonder what's on the inside of the Turnigy one though. I haven't seen anybody online try to replicate the functionality with their own components. Seems like a fun project. I've seen people do diversity antenna switching with like $2 of cheap components so creating an off/on circuit completion switch based on PWM input can't be too difficult. I just don't have the electronics skills to pull it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hogue View Post
Sure, just attact a "momentary on" micro switch like this to the side of the servo so the arm presses the lever when you actuate it, an there you go.

coombs is offline Find More Posts by coombs
Old Jun 06, 2014, 01:53 PM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,753 Posts
Well, the board in a std servo will work as a low amp brushed esc, so you could prob just use that and get on/off and dimming. Not sure what if anything you have to do with the pot leads. but you do prob want a servo that the pot is not integrated into the board
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:37 AM
Joined Mar 2013
1 Posts
I'm with David on this one. Go to the rc crawler section of your favorite rc parts supplier and get a winch control board. What u will be getting is a robotics servo controler with the pot removed to allow full 360 degree movement in both directions. Of I've been known to use a micro linear servo to operate a small mechanical switch.
RrockyRraccoon is offline Find More Posts by RrockyRraccoon
Old Aug 09, 2014, 11:10 AM
Dark Yet??
United States, VA, Narrows
Joined Dec 2009
1,488 Posts
You can also get RC switches from other sources.

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...nterfaces.html
Barn-E-Stormer is online now Find More Posts by Barn-E-Stormer