HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:07 AM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Help!
Inventor Fusion/AutoCad Help

Hey Guys,

I am in the process of designing and building a UAV and am frustrated with both Inventor Fusion & AutoCad. I need help determining why when I save an Inventor File (and then export it as an stl so it can be 3D printed) when I open it using the 3D print software it brings up the object I saved and another object which was deleted from the file before saving and exporting it. And in AutoCad I need help placing a circle with a diameter of 10mm on a set of wing ribs (this will enable me to slide a spar into the wing to allow me to have removable wings) also on AutoCad I want to create a 3D object (a loft between 2 wing ribs) which can be built into the wing to house the aileron servo). I have limited experience but usually I can get stuff like this done. If you think you could help me with either of these issues please pm me and let me know so I can send you a more detailed email with the files attached.

Cheers,

Matt
1stfoot is offline Find More Posts by 1stfoot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:00 AM
France, Auvergne, Lapalisse
Joined Dec 2005
906 Posts
autocad

try purgeing your file before exporting

to create a 3D object you start with a poly line say of a wing rib and then extrude it to a thickness.
to loft a top and bottom serifs you need tip and rout ribs in poly line thy have to be split at the point of the trailing edge and middle of the leading edge then draw a line from leading edge of tip to rout rib and the same at the trailing edge and use edge serf for a smoother serifs edit surftab1 surftab2 and enter a higher number
dpot is offline Find More Posts by dpot
Last edited by dpot; Oct 26, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:19 AM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Thanks but my skills don't extend that far (not even sure what commands you are talking about). I have sorted my problem with Inventor Fusion by making a new set of hatches (I found old ones to be wrong length anyway).

Does anyone know of a way to import a AutoCad (2012 mac edition) file into Inventor Fusion (also 2012 mac edition)?? If so please let me know as I find Inventor a lot easier to work with.

Cheers,

Matt
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:12 AM
Joined Dec 2005
906 Posts
acad

i think .DXF will do it
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:06 AM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Turns out a .dwg can be imported from AutoCad into Inventor Fusion BUT the file can only contain 3D solids not 2D lines which doesn't really work for me.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Dec 2005
906 Posts
have a play with this one works in fusion
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Thanks, that is a nice model. I have sorted all my problems now except the wing mount. I still need to figure out how to model a wing mount section with forward sweep and anhedral built in so I can construct a straight wing which when mounted will be forward swept and anhedral. I will have this mount 3D printed. If anyone can help me please do. The airfoil I am using is a standard Clark-Y with a chord of 250mm. I can provide a dxf of the airfoil from which the mount needs to be created.

Cheers,

Matt
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:45 AM
Joined Dec 2005
906 Posts
do you have any photos of the mount and fuz
Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Hey,

I have managed to model the mount, but am having issues with some files that are being sent to a laser cutter. These files need to be saved in 2D but are showing in 3D. Does anyone know how I can ensure these are in 2D rather than 3D? I am using AutoCad for Mac 2012. Have attached the two files I need saved in 2D rather than 3D, if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Matt
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:19 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,561 Posts
Matt:
First of all, The fusion is a cloud based monster, driven by the Lions, most likely. When I was first excited to see auto Cad for a Mac, I gave it a run, but ejected as soon as I found it to be cloud based.
) this is why the "version" which had been saved @ a point, was different than what you needed. AC mostly uses the DWG format- and watch the fine print- whether small case or capital case extentions. the Lions especially the mountainL, have been causing an extreme amount of pain within the Mac CAD departments! check out the support groups- very scary!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:50 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,247 Posts
looks fine in my software. See if this helps.
Edit: I'm not sure what units you drawing is in. So this file will need scaled to size.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Last edited by Roto Rob; Nov 07, 2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:59 AM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Thanks Roto Rob, whatever you did seems to have worked.

Laser Cutter will get right on with my job as soon as I complete payment so should have the parts soon.

Cheers,

Matt