Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:43 AM
S.E. Mi. arm pit of MI
Joined Jun 2004
251 Posts
Discussion
Use of turnigy servos

Has any one used the thin wing turnigy servos? Pro-con
Lite2bolt is offline Find More Posts by Lite2bolt
Last edited by Lite2bolt; Oct 25, 2012 at 12:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:35 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,923 Posts
I haven't tried the thin ones, but I can report I have had excellent results from the Turnigy TGY 390 DMH.

Chris
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:36 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,113 Posts
Pro: Cheap
Con: Cheap

YMMV ....
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:42 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,923 Posts
Not sure if that formula always works with servos: I wouldn't go near some expensive popular metal-cased servos for instance....

Don't knock it till you've tried it
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:08 PM
US and Costa Rica
Joined Dec 2004
1,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1 View Post
Not sure if that formula always works with servos: I wouldn't go near some expensive popular metal-cased servos for instance....

Don't knock it till you've tried it
+1
I have burnt a couple of JR just setting the model in the bench and they weren't even binding.
Then for a model I bought a full set of (quite pricey) MKS's and one was bad from the beginning which took quite a chasing of the dealer to make it right (kind of) so those are out of my list too.
Now I bought a bunch of different turnigy, Coronas, Blue bird but I haven't flown them yet. The only thing I can tell is that I did the setup of a glider and I haven't burnt a single one.
Funny because when I built my helis I would not touch any other servo than a Futaba or JR for them but now for the gliders I would not spend $70+ on a servo ever again.
ferincr is online now Find More Posts by ferincr
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:11 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,113 Posts
It's a personal choice ... but speaking ONLY for myself, I would never put a $5 servo in a $2000 plane.

I won't put a $5 servo in a $10 plane if given a choice.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:21 AM
I do this for fun!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,196 Posts
I have had all the top brands of 13mm metal geared servo in my gliders and I have had all of them go sloppy in the gears and I have had all of them fail early.

Sorry tkallev but in glider wings paying the money is no guarantee of good service.

So about 5 years ago I turned to Turnigy servos because I had nothing to lose, I couldn't get worse service out of them than the expensive servos I was using. I can't speak for all turnigys but I can say on the basis of 5 years use that there are servos to be had which give every bit as good service as the expensive brands.

Actually I am just starting to use outboard bearings and it's looking very good so far. Need more experience before I'm willing to support them without qualification.
skyboyken is offline Find More Posts by skyboyken
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:30 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
Any servo can fail and will at some point. A method that I have gone to that has found bad servos before they are mounted is to run them on a servo tester for about 10-15 minutes just going back and forth. I have had some die and have had some that were much hotter than the rest, so they are bad. Also I run them to one extreme and fast back to the center to see if they hunt for center or get close then slowly get to center, if so they are bad. This does not mean the ones that pass will not fail but it does help find ones that would have gone bad in a short amount of time.

Alan
jh2rc97 is offline Find More Posts by jh2rc97
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:56 AM
US and Costa Rica
Joined Dec 2004
1,276 Posts
Everyone has their own theory and people feel quite strong about their believes so no point on trying to start a servo war.
But back to the original question there are many different Turnigy servos and some of them have very good reviews and others quite crappy ones.
Since I think hobbyKing is one of (if not the one) biggest seller of Turnigy I suggest you check on the reviews of the specific servo you are interested.
Not only that but also look at what the complaints are about and if there are consistency on them.
Keep in mind people might have isolated bad experiences and/or they screwed up themselves due to the lack of it and it's always easier to blame something/body else.
It's not a foolproof method but I been lucky with everything I bought in the net that way from turnigy servos to hotel rooms in vacation destinations.
And to go way out of topic, now I'm looking for a meat grinder and I've been doing research and reading reviews for few weeks on and off.
Always do extensive research before commiting and don't buy the first or the isolated comment on one product go for the mayority and then decide if you want to take the jump...

Bottom line...
I see very expensive models go down on regular bases here on the forums, most of them are fully equiped with the best of the best, expensive digital servos, redundancy systems, power distribution pannels and the whole shebang. Planes tend to go down, if nothing else from dumb fingers so...
Would I use my $2000+ gliders to test cheap servos? hell no!!!!
Would I use cheaper servos on them once I consider they up to the task? Absolutely.
Would I use cheap servos on my helis with carbon fiber blades spinning up to 400mph close to my head? nope.
Just my $0.02
Last edited by ferincr; Oct 25, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:37 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
It's a personal choice ... but speaking ONLY for myself, I would never put a $5 servo in a $2000 plane.

I won't put a $5 servo in a $10 plane if given a choice.
Absolutely agree 200% to the first para ! I am talking $28 - ish Turnigys or BlueBirds - not $5 ones...

Don't agree with the second para.: I do that all the time! HXT 500's or 900's rock for small planes !

Chris
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:47 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh2rc97 View Post
Any servo can fail and will at some point. A method that I have gone to that has found bad servos before they are mounted is to run them on a servo tester for about 10-15 minutes just going back and forth. I have had some die and have had some that were much hotter than the rest, so they are bad. Also I run them to one extreme and fast back to the center to see if they hunt for center or get close then slowly get to center, if so they are bad. This does not mean the ones that pass will not fail but it does help find ones that would have gone bad in a short amount of time.

Alan
Excellent advice, I've recently replaced my tester with one that can do that, well worth it.

Almost all failures I've had personally have been after hard arrivals, which have caused gear pins to bend, together with the locating plastic recesses moulded into the case that hold those pins being torn open. Cheaper servos will do that more easily, but as long as it isn't an in-flight problem, it's not the end of the world. Every time I look at a TD "doink" nose-in landing I flinch ...

Chris
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:18 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined May 2004
13 Posts
I have installed the thin wing servos into a HK ASW28 and had to replace one during install. The servo arm would move when any slight pressure was applied to it including pressing down.
I would suggest others before using these.
Bigbobby is offline Find More Posts by Bigbobby
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:18 AM
US and Costa Rica
Joined Dec 2004
1,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbobby View Post
I have installed the thin wing servos into a HK ASW28 and had to replace one during install. The servo arm would move when any slight pressure was applied to it including pressing down.
I would suggest others before using these.
Which slim servos are you talking about?
Turnigy has at least 3 different model (I think they are 4 to be honest) TGY-S712G, TGY-777MG or the TGY-A55H?
The only ones I've installed so far are the A55H but I have few of the others too.
The 777 does not seem to have the strongest reviews, but I have no doubt that that might happen, as I stated the same happened to me with a $70+ servo.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:54 PM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jan 2001
1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1 View Post
Excellent advice, I've recently replaced my tester with one that can do that, well worth it.

Chris
So, which servo tester did you get?
georgeg is online now Find More Posts by georgeg
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:26 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeg View Post
So, which servo tester did you get?
Ha ha: guess? Turnigy : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...vo_Tester.html

Actually mine is a "GT Power", but it's the same thing..