SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:36 PM
This Calls for a Sexy Party
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
Discussion
Electric glider, aileron or not ?

Should i go with RET and dihedral wing or a full house rudder, elevator and aileron.

RET would be easiest to build, but then i have some concern about it being hard to control in windy situation.

i can see it being easier to fight the wind with aileron ( not sure ) and i can mix it to use some flap for super slow landing.

which one do you prefer ?
StewieRC is offline Find More Posts by StewieRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:44 AM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,071 Posts
Aileron turning is very precise and responsive. Wing leveling is almost immediate in turbulent conditions, and less dihedral in the wing should provide a bit more lift. For me, it would be worth a little extra work to install ailerons.
whitecrest is online now Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:56 AM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
whitecrest thanks for responding, i think i will install aileron with flapperon mixing then, weather is weird in Texas, one day it can be dead calm, the next day the wind will blow super hard.

p/s : i also cut my left index finger up pretty good with my knife while trying to remove glue from my motor mount. 1 roll of toiler paper and 2 band aid and 4 hours later, the dang thing is still bleeding as soon as i take the band-aid off. It doesn't go straight in ( which is good i guess ) but it went in at an angle and make a circular wound around 1.5mm diameter. I'm not a doctor but if the cut went in straight, i couldn't have cut some blood vessel/tendon in my finger off.
i will try the super glue trick tomorrow morning if it doesn't stop bleeding, be-careful with those sharp nice guys, my building is on hold for now until my index stop bleeding.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:10 AM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,071 Posts
Yes, respect those blades. They can really do a job. I have found that pressure over a slice wound will usually stop the bleeding fairly quickly.
whitecrest is online now Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:37 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieRC View Post
whitecrest thanks for responding, i think i will install aileron with flapperon mixing then, weather is weird in Texas, one day it can be dead calm, the next day the wind will blow super hard.

p/s : i also cut my left index finger up pretty good with my knife while trying to remove glue from my motor mount. 1 roll of toiler paper and 2 band aid and 4 hours later, the dang thing is still bleeding as soon as i take the band-aid off. It doesn't go straight in ( which is good i guess ) but it went in at an angle and make a circular wound around 1.5mm diameter. I'm not a doctor but if the cut went in straight, i couldn't have cut some blood vessel/tendon in my finger off.
i will try the super glue trick tomorrow morning if it doesn't stop bleeding, be-careful with those sharp nice guys, my building is on hold for now until my index stop bleeding.
yow !!!! Sound like it needs some stitches man ! Try a butterfly type bandage it has worked for me on several occasions.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:13 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
i open my band-aid this morning to clean it out, only a little bleeding left, clean it out and then glue it shut with super glue, barely any bleeding now.

in a good side i'm done with my glider fuselage, time to make the wing.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Good experienced pilot: NO CHOICE full house

Not so experienced a pilot: IT DEPENDS on ones ability to climb a steep learning curve
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:00 PM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
DUDE YOU PUT SUPERGLUE ON YOUR CUT
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:05 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt_ripper 23 View Post
DUDE YOU PUT SUPERGLUE ON YOUR CUT
So? Doctors use medical CA to close cuts all the time.......
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:29 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,932 Posts
Super Glue is better than a bandage on a clean cut. I would have sprinkled the cut with iodized salt first though. Sure it burns a bit, but it also dries and disinfects the cut.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:56 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,633 Posts
If its a clean cut I always use medium CA, seriously, heals much faster and no messing with band aids.
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:58 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,437 Posts
My preference is for the one I am flying at the time. I have both and fly both in competition and for fun. What are you going to do with her? Is it windy a lot where you live? I've flown my 3.2 Meter Pulsar in 20 mph wind and it's fine, actually handles as well as my 2.5 meter full house ship.

RES/M or RSF/M are both good for fun and for high long flights as they are self tending to some extent. Works for contest use just fine under most conditions except over 15-20 mph winds. Largest ALES Contest in US had a number of RES/M ships in the mix as well as full house birds.

Full house REAF/M ships are more maneuverable in windy condition but also need more attention to the sticks in flight overall as they tend to have lower dihedral and a bit less stable. They're not twitchy but their agility requires you fly them a bit more.

There are two schools of thought on flaps vs. spoilers too. Spoilers for landing are easier to recover from if have to shut them for a stretch as air speed is still there. Spoiler deployment can cause significant nose down atitude if your not on the sticks or don't have up elevator mixed in.
Flaps slow you down but can be a challenge sometimes if you need a few feet to make the field and are below stall speed. Flight condition switch with down elevator can take some fo the edge off this. However flaps can be your friend when looking for minimum sink or when circling in weaker lift. I use about 5* of flap when in lift, 80* flaps for landing with down elevator played with thumb as needed.

Common setup is to put the flaps or spoilers on the throttle stick and the motor on a off/on switch such as a gear toggle. This puts the flight surfaces where they should be on the front of the TX and gives you proportional control for landing at you thumb tips, not fumbling around looking for sliders and stuff. If you are to take up electric sailplane soaring you don't need no stinking throttle anyhow, it's up to altitude and shut off the power, then go soar.

Use a good motor with plenty of power, look for about 150 watts/lb as a middling amount, you don't need cooling holes if you have a quick climbing sailplane as a 30 second run would be plenty. Wind penetration is an effect of airfoil and wing loading. Ballast might be needed to handle the windier days in Texas to increase wing loading. This will make your sailplane fly faster but not all airfoils are suited to higher speeds. Some research would be in order to find what would work for your conditions. There's more to sailplanes than most peoeple would think.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:34 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
@Leadchucker thanks for the info, i'm planning on fly with just 1 500mah 3s, or two if the wind pick up. I'm not planning on doing some crazy long range flying with this glider, my ultimate goal is to get this glider to fly across a small lake ( 1km there, 1km back )
My glider is at 5oz/sq ft ( 1000 mah 3s )

60 inch span and it weight a merely 325g with a hefty 2x 500mah 3s that weight 100g.

my wound heal up nicely, i cleaned my wound up with water and some peroxide, than a few drop of super glue and the bleeding stop instantly.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:41 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieRC View Post
@Leadchucker thanks for the info, i'm planning on fly with just 1 500mah 3s, or two if the wind pick up. I'm not planning on doing some crazy long range flying with this glider, my ultimate goal is to get this glider to fly across a small lake ( 1km there, 1km back )
My glider is at 5oz/sq ft ( 1000 mah 3s )

60 inch span and it weight a merely 325g with a hefty 2x 500mah 3s that weight 100g.

my wound heal up nicely, i cleaned my wound up with water and some peroxide, than a few drop of super glue and the bleeding stop instantly.
Does it hurt? I imagine it would sting like the dickens...... I've been wanting to try CA when I get a cut but I chicken out and put a bandaid on it
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:45 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,437 Posts
Sorry about the overkill on the response, but I had no idea what you were up to.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member