HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:56 PM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpsonJ View Post
Hey Alpha1actual, I think we both use EZosd?
Can you help me out a bit if so?

What does the information on the right of the RSSI mean?
There is a picture of an antenna that displays 100 most of the time. Is that the signal reception or do I watch the RSSI value?
Then there is a number in the middle with the word "bad"?

I can't figure out what my RC signal reception really is... how does it look?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtRGkt5zyVc
Sure. From left to right, there's RSSI1, RSSI2, Bad Packets, and Link Quality. The RSSI fields represent signal strength of each antenna (2) in the diversity setup. Lower values = better signal. Bad packets represent packets that are unusable by the system (lower the better, it's not uncommon to see this value at 1 or 2, especially after an arc when connecting deans connectors. Link Quality represents the overall quality of the link budget. Ideally you want this value to be close to 100 at all times (higher is better). When link quality begins to dip down, it's time to turn around. Monitor the RSSI of each antenna, and you will notice that as RSSI values get too high (weaker signal), the link quality will begin to drop. There are occasions where the RSSI won't initially increase much but link quality will drop fast. This will happen if you momentarily break line of sight between you and your aircraft, for example if you fly behind a building, structure, cliff, etc. UHF is strong and will punch through or around many objects at mild distances, but you need to maintain line of sight at all times. Imagine a laser beam between you and your plane, even at 10 miles, the beam must have a direct path to the plane. Two observations from your video: What antennas are you currently using on your uhf tx and rx? Your RSSI values are high for the distance you're flying. What antennas and video frequency are you using for your video link? Great initial flights man, with a little tweaking these issues can be easily sorted.
Alpha1actual is offline Find More Posts by Alpha1actual
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:22 PM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
@Simpson

Here's an example of link quality when briefly breaking line of sight.
Shortly after 3 minute mark, watch Link Quality when the plane flies behind the pump house.

15 degrees FPV (9 min 31 sec)

Here's an example of what happens when you completely break line of sight. In this scenario, it was a cliff between the uhf tx and plane. At 30 second mark (2.6 miles), I miscalculated my altitude and turned South. This is every video pilots nightmare, an excellent example of how fast things can go wrong.

Coastal link footage (12 min 33 sec)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:11 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
That looks scarry! good thing you got it back fast!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:51 PM
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2010
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1actual View Post
Sure. What antennas are you currently using on your uhf tx and rx? Your RSSI values are high for the distance you're flying. What antennas and video frequency are you using for your video link? Great initial flights man, with a little tweaking these issues can be easily sorted.
Okay this helps a me a bunch, thanks!

-So really I'm watching my quality link to make sure it's up at near 100, but keep an eye on the RSSI as an indicator?

-There is also a low number to the left of the antenna picture? says 0, 1 or 7 etc..

-Why are there two RSSI but my number stays at one location on the screen( I'm running 8 channel Diversity Rx)?

Yesterday I rewired the entire plane. Used a shielded cat6 cable from the Vtx to the OSD. I'm using the stock UHF Tx antenna but have the Diamond SRH771 coming in the mail. The EZUHF has the stock sanders style antenna mounted in a V configuration. On a side note I'm using a IRC diversity 2400 with a 14 dbi patch for video.

See my picture enclosed...

So what I gather from my video is I could have gone a lot farther with rc link interruption?
Seems like I should be getting a better signal.

-EZUHF 433 - Whip on plane, Diversity with whip and 14 dbi patch
-Motor RC Timer
-TBS 2.4 Tuned Tx
-TBS Core
-Immersion Rc OSD, EZUHF
-Camera RMRC-700XV
-Turnigy ESC

Your thoughts?
SimpsonJ is offline Find More Posts by SimpsonJ
Last edited by SimpsonJ; Jan 27, 2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:39 PM
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2010
500 Posts
Hey alpha1actual,
What do you think of these?
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1032
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:55 PM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpsonJ View Post
Hey alpha1actual,
What do you think of these?
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1032
Those are what I use on my planes, straight from RMRC. You could build your own for a lot less $, but without the equipment necessary to test the antenna you'll never know if you built it correctly. Definitely grab a set of the monopoles, and get rid of the stock antenna on your uhf tx. Mine was horrible, failsafes at 1.5 miles. A Diamond or Nagoya work very well, you'll see a nice improvement there. Throw that whip in the bin and grab a RHCP cloverleaf for the tail, RHCP helical for your ground station, and say goodbye to most video issues. Your patch is linear, no?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:47 PM
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2010
500 Posts
Quote:
Those are what I use on my planes, straight from RMRC. You could build your own for a lot less $, but without the equipment necessary to test the antenna you'll never know if you built it correctly. Definitely grab a set of the monopoles, and get rid of the stock antenna on your uhf tx. Mine was horrible, failsafes at 1.5 miles. A Diamond or Nagoya work very well, you'll see a nice improvement there. Throw that whip in the bin and grab a RHCP cloverleaf for the tail, RHCP helical for your ground station, and say goodbye to most video issues. Your patch is linear, no?
Order sent, monopoles on the way! I often receive criticism from my Vtx whip antenna. The whip and 14 dbi patch are both linear from TBS. But the patch is mounted to a immersion RC tracking station with their 2400 diversity Rx. The thought process being to have a very focused beam following the plane for serious distance. Ill put it to the test soon and if it sucks, then I'll poo can it for a ibcrazy solution. Cool thing about the tracker is google maps plotting live on my phone to find my plane if it goes down and flight recorder. I've got two sets of immersion components and once I get the raptor dialed in Ill be looking to build the next one up. It will either be a wing, penguin or experiment with my existing 1500mm Cessna 182. Readymade just got some Diamond antennas in stock. Wish I waited, the one I bought was from Greece so I'll be waiting. Nobody had them for awhile. Taking Tuesday off so I hope to get some good flights in the predicted 60 degree weather. The temperatures were in the mid 30s this morning and my battery performance was horrific. Does temperature effect performance? Sure seemed like it today. Look at my video and the voltage alarm goes off soon as it gets airborne.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:56 PM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
I noticed the voltage, -thought you might have wore it down a bit before the flight. Cold will affect lipos, but all I've noticed so far is shorter flights. One day you'll realize that you don't need a tracker The same telemetry data that the tracker uses can be captured directly from the audio channel on the vrx, into an android, iphone/ipad, etc. and viewed real time over google maps. Definitely consider going RHCP.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:09 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2012
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euwan View Post
OK so I have installed the 28-36 1800kv motor with 8x4 prop, I have an 50amp ESC. Just need to make sure that this combination is fine ? Also I have noticed that the motor wobbles inside the housing is there any way to reinforce it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint View Post
I have the same setup except im using a 60a esc. My motor does not wobble though. Did you tighten the screws in? Perhaps the prop is not balanced. Im using an apc 8x6 prop.
hello; does the plane hand launch well with the NTM 28-36 1800KV motor?

I have the following nanotech lipo's I would like to try an use with this project:
- 2200 4S 45C
- 2650 3S 35C
- 2200 3S 25C
urbansniper is offline Find More Posts by urbansniper
Last edited by urbansniper; Jan 31, 2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:29 AM
Joined Nov 2012
279 Posts
Or let me rephrase...is the plane hand launchable with the NTM 28-36 1800KV motor and a 3S lipo?

Thanks!
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:53 AM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Yes. It's the heavier 4 cells that may be difficult. Be ready on the elevator at launch.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:54 PM
Joined Nov 2012
279 Posts
Quote:
Yes. It's the heavier 4 cells that may be difficult. Be ready on the elevator at launch.
thanks! I just ordered the plane + servos + 60A ESC + NTM 28-36 1800KV motor.

The AXN i bought for my brother likes to nose dive at launch as well. For the AXN, i launch it at 3/4 throttle...throw it hard @ 45 degrees with my left hand...right hand on up elevator.

is it recommended to hand launch the fpvraptor with full throttle?
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:44 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2012
24 Posts
hand launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbansniper View Post
is it recommended to hand launch the fpvraptor with full throttle?
Not recommended, since high throttle has a downward vector.
So as you said, 45 degrees, 75% throttle, throw, elevator up, 100% throttle.
The strength of your arms is the key
kozack is offline Find More Posts by kozack
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:48 AM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Raptor hunts a Skywalker
Hunting Skywalker (7 min 20 sec)
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:17 AM
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2010