SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:58 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Apr 2012
606 Posts
SBOD hit +/-30mph electric fastie

Tragically, the top rated SBOD at SFMYC was damaged during Race5 Sunday. A father-son (7yr old) team were on the south side when they lost control of thier new fastie while it was running wide open in the middle of racing Santa Barbaras. The impact sounded like a gun shot heard around the lake.

(A second scale cruiser powered onto the Race5 course repeatedly and was asked to stay away. Fortunately, in this case, there was no damage.)

Cheap, fast, new electric boats in the hands of "irregulars" (non-club members) are causing more crashes and dangerous situations on the lake. This poses a huge challenge for scale power and sailboats.

In the case of the damaged SBOD, the father (to his credit) did the right thing (with his son at his side) and took the SBOD to an established repairman-at his expense-to make the owner whole. Fortunately, damage was limited to the SBOD and no one on shore was hurt (this time). Top be continured, no doubt.
wyldrydes2 is offline Find More Posts by wyldrydes2
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:27 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
Man that must have been some collision. I hope Jason gets his boat back repaired soon.
Something needs to be done to teach some of these "irregulars" some etique as to how and where to drive their boats. From what I hear this has happened two other times recently. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Apr 2012
606 Posts
smash & crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Something needs to be done...this happened two other times recently.
Our SFMYC Commodore announced recently he will attend meetings with officials and then convene "interested parties" to work out the inherent operational conflicts between cheap fast boats and scale (slow) power & sailboats. The problem will get worse before it gets better unless something can be worked out. Onward.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
Sailed my Santa Barbara at Spreckles yesterday with Bob H. Had a lot of fun and discovered I still have a few teething issues to work out. Should have the boat ready to go for the race on the 29th. Ryan
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Apr 2012
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Sailed my Santa Barbara at Spreckles yesterdayn
Wish I had known...more SBODs are better-Good luck!
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:37 AM
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
Who all is coming to the last SB race on the 29th at SFMYC?? Any Sacto guys? Ryan
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:24 AM
Joined Apr 2012
606 Posts
im in

443 will be there
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:45 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,107 Posts
Race #2 at yesterday's Sacramento Model Yacht Club at Bridgeway Lakes Park in the West Sacramento. It was an uncharacteristically very light day with the first few classes getting in their first three of five races, but as you can see in this second SBOD race, the wind had faded and just before the second boat finished, it just died. All remaining races for the day were canceled.

This was my first attempt at shooting video with my new Canon SX260 HD compact camera. It is not a video camera - just a still compact that can shoot video - so it is a little bumpy in spots, but I learned a lot will try it again next month. (I race a US1M and an Infinity-54 so I have time to shoot the SB's. I could never race and take pictures at the same time so I am in awe of Ken's work.

FC

Santa Barbaras Race 2 SMYC 9 23 12 (8 min 2 sec)
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Last edited by FoamCrusher; Sep 24, 2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Can' Figure how to insert Youtube link
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
Very nice. Really light wind. Are any of the Sacto fleet coming to SF for the last race of the season on the 29th? Should be good wind and great sailing on Spreckles Lake. Ryan
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:38 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,107 Posts
I doubt it. (Same reason as I posted in the Infinity thread). Too much local racing going on for them to drive 3 hrs for six heats.
\
FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Apr 2012
606 Posts
SBOD rigging

No doubt someone out there figured out how to thread a bowsie in less than 2 hours (I hope). My tricks don't click-help!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Sep 2012
15 Posts
On the AMYA Santa Barbara web page you can click on the plans link and enlarge them to see how to thread that style bowsie.

On a different note:
sbyachts is offline Find More Posts by sbyachts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
Jerry,
Use a small piece of thin rig wire and use that to thread your bowsie. Make sure the bowsie is matched to the line size.
Who all is coming to the last race? Why do we only sail six heats? More would be better, how about eight for next season?? Lookin forward to my boat making its debut at the club.
What's the different note Sbyachts?? Ryan
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined Sep 2012
15 Posts
I would like to let the group know that my father and I have been approved by Mark Baldacchino as official Santa Barbara suppliers. We are currently making hulls, keels, and rudders. We are working on molds for 3 different style decks but will be a couple of months before we have a product to sell. All products will be in neutral gel-coat. Hull has waterline and drilled for keel bolts. Keel comes completelyassembeled, just add weight.
Hopefully this will get a few more folks interested in our class and get more boats on the water.
sbyachts is offline Find More Posts by sbyachts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Nov 2010
876 Posts
Contact me offline please Sbyachts. I think your the guys from sacto I met at the region six.
I am interested in a keel. Ryan