HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2006, 10:29 AM
Massachusetts
Joined Jan 2006
966 Posts
Discussion
Getting faomies down from trees

Okay. I was flying but not paying attention and clipped the top of some large trees. My foamie is stuck on some twigs wayyyyyy uppppppp.

Is there a best tool (very long pole) or a procedure (getting lowered from a heli) to get my bundle of joy safely down?

I'm sure this question has been posed a zillion times before. Got a reference? Thanks

Newt
INewton is offline Find More Posts by INewton
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2006, 10:52 AM
United States, OH, New Franklin
Joined May 2004
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by INewton
Okay. I was flying but not paying attention and clipped the top of some large trees. My foamie is stuck on some twigs wayyyyyy uppppppp.

Is there a best tool (very long pole) or a procedure (getting lowered from a heli) to get my bundle of joy safely down?

I'm sure this question has been posed a zillion times before. Got a reference? Thanks

Newt
Short of a professional tree climber or a trained Spider Monkey I have found a bow and arrow with fishing line attached to work well. After you get the arrow and lite line in place, use the lite line to pull a heavier line up and over the branch. Then shake. This doesn't always get the plane down in one piece but the electronics generally survive.

Lower branches can be reached by a rubber ball attached to the line of a spinning reel. Same procedure.

Good Luck!
trashbug is offline Find More Posts by trashbug
Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:12 AM
Joined Apr 2006
923 Posts
I recently recovered one that was up there for 7 weeks. The rubber bands holding the wing on eventually rotted out, and it all fell down. Everything still works and is in good condition.

I was tempted to try a tree climbing adventure, but it would have been a high and risky climb, and it just wasn't worth it.
Barry2 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2
Old Apr 24, 2006, 04:55 PM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
There's always the Husqvarna solution
Cubber is offline Find More Posts by Cubber
Old Apr 24, 2006, 05:00 PM
Support www.usf3jteam.com
Chicago IL
Joined Apr 2004
924 Posts
The easy amswer
little flyer is offline Find More Posts by little flyer
Old Apr 24, 2006, 06:08 PM
Joined Dec 2003
620 Posts
Over the years, I've accumulated some yard tools that help - I take the fiberglass handle off of my tree trimmer, an aluminum extendible paint roller handle that I lash to the end of that (Duct Tape - whoo hoo!) and I also happen to have a long curtain rod that fits very neatly over the end of that with a hose clamp. I can tape a yardstick onto the end for an additional three feet or so, if necessary, but the crowning touch is a paper towel tube affixed to the very end of the thing with a four-point crown, or tulip shape cut into the end with scissors, so I have a few "fingers" to lift the plane out with. I can go almost fifty feet up from the ground with the whole thing together, and I usually grab the plane by the nose with the tube, although, getting a plane out of a tree is sometimes pretty difficult - expect a few dings!

You can supplement with a ladder, too, but it starts getting dangerous at that point!

By the way - love the chainsaw solution!
bykrdan is offline Find More Posts by bykrdan
Old Apr 24, 2006, 06:55 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Like the bow and arrow, you can use a slingshot (wristrocket type) with a large nut tied to light line. Shoot it over the limb and shake it down.
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Old Apr 24, 2006, 08:59 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Jan 2006
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bykrdan
Over the years, I've accumulated some yard tools that help - I take the fiberglass handle off of my tree trimmer, an aluminum extendible paint roller handle that I lash to the end of that (Duct Tape - whoo hoo!) and I also happen to have a long curtain rod that fits very neatly over the end of that with a hose clamp. I can tape a yardstick onto the end for an additional three feet or so, if necessary, but the crowning touch is a paper towel tube affixed to the very end of the thing with a four-point crown, or tulip shape cut into the end with scissors, so I have a few "fingers" to lift the plane out with. I can go almost fifty feet up from the ground with the whole thing together, and I usually grab the plane by the nose with the tube, although, getting a plane out of a tree is sometimes pretty difficult - expect a few dings!

You can supplement with a ladder, too, but it starts getting dangerous at that point!

By the way - love the chainsaw solution!
FIFTY FEET... Now you're talking!

So it's fiberglass extension into aluminum pole into curtain rod into yardstick into toilet paper roll.

How's that 50'?
Old Apr 24, 2006, 09:03 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,181 Posts
Call your local Fire Company . They love a "rescue" like that.

Tell them if they cant help , you will have to do it yourself.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Apr 24, 2006, 09:27 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDog
Like the bow and arrow, you can use a slingshot (wristrocket type) with a large nut tied to light line. Shoot it over the limb and shake it down.
We just used this method with heavy washers and fishing line. Works like a charm.
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Old Apr 24, 2006, 10:00 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Jan 2006
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDog
What size slingshot for 50'? Thanks, sounds doable.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 01:32 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Don't Try This At Home

You mean like this ...

Only $200.00 to get it down.. for a $600.00 wing it was worth it..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Last edited by PaulVi; Apr 25, 2006 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Title
Old Apr 25, 2006, 11:17 AM
Joined Aug 2004
734 Posts
Seems that a fishing pole (with reel), some heavy test line and a 1oz lead weight would get it done. Some of the newer super lines are incredibly tough. Wear gloves.

Adam
latrans is offline Find More Posts by latrans
Old Apr 25, 2006, 12:00 PM
Joined Jan 2006
14 Posts
i just climb up the tree and get it. easier for me though as i have youth on my side. lol.
3dricky is offline Find More Posts by 3dricky
Old Apr 25, 2006, 02:34 PM
Raleigh NC
Joined Feb 2006
1,000 Posts
I just climb up and get mine but then again I'm part Spiderman
Doc Holliday is offline Find More Posts by Doc Holliday