Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:45 PM
voodoo magic maaan
United Kingdom, England, Merton
Joined Jan 2011
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
I have recalibrated the Hex

I unplugged the video transmitter and removed the skewed planar wheel antenna to do it,
so I wouldn't have that interferance.

I balanced the motors and props again; trying to get rid of the jello.

It's better, but still not perfect, and as such "unacceptable".

Hex is holding position a lot better (much less drift)

This was flown 100% FPV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BKGU...ature=youtu.be
yeh thats very "wobbly"
How is the cam mounted? You should have some rubber betweeen the cam and the frame?
lukeydukey10 is offline Find More Posts by lukeydukey10
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:51 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeydukey10 View Post
yeh thats very "wobbly"
How is the cam mounted? You should have some rubber betweeen the cam and the frame?
I used this gimball. It has rubber grommets, but I am going on a quest to find some more pliable rubber.
The grommets that came with it are quite stiff.

I've also got some more things that I am thinking about, but the isolation grommets are first on the list.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:23 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
73 Posts
Noob question here - I plan on running two 3S 3200mah batteries in parallel on my F450 tomorrow morning. I just weighed it and with FPV gear included the AUW is right at 1360g. Is it better to run 10" props at this weight or am I ok with leaving the 8" props on?
labcopilot is offline Find More Posts by labcopilot
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:56 PM
United States, NH, Barrington
Joined Sep 2011
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Sounds like the battery is getting weak. Under load it's dropping down below voltage warning. Do you have a different or new battery to test with?
Could be it though I was having a similar issues when I flew the other day with 2 Hyperion 3300 running in parallele. But I didn't have a timer going so maybe more time went by than I thought. Windy and rainy here. As soon as weather permits, I will retry with the hyperions (BTW - the other battery is a 4K turnigy nanotech)
Socratic is offline Find More Posts by Socratic
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:00 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic View Post
Could be it though I was having a similar issues when I flew the other day with 2 Hyperion 3300 running in parallele. But I didn't have a timer going so maybe more time went by than I thought. Windy and rainy here. As soon as weather permits, I will retry with the hyperions (BTW - the other battery is a 4K turnigy nanotech)
i have this problem too, i run 2 nanotech 5000 in parallele and get rapid red flashing light early in flight.

i will turn Voltage protection off and see,

i have EagleTree OSD onboard, so i know how much i have left.

btw, i recharge 4500 in my 10000, so something is not going ok.
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:04 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
I don't use the voltage meter so I can't speak for that. I just know I get 5mins out of my 4s 5000 mah so is tart my landing at 4:30
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Sep 2011
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakchos View Post
i have this problem too, i run 2 nanotech 5000 in parallele and get rapid red flashing light early in flight.

i will turn Voltage protection off and see,

i have EagleTree OSD onboard, so i know how much i have left.

btw, i recharge 4500 in my 10000, so something is not going ok.
That's an idea about just turning off the voltage monitor. That way I can at least isolate if that is the issue or something else.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Sep 2011
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
I don't use the voltage meter so I can't speak for that. I just know I get 5mins out of my 4s 5000 mah so is tart my landing at 4:30
I am getting about 7.5 minutes out of the two hyperions (3s). Just another reference.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:24 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
My hexacopter weighs 7lbs and runs a high end gimbal off the flight battery. Don't use me as a reference
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:30 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,391 Posts
I am running avroto motors as a reference

and 10 4.5 gemfan props.

I was running Hyperion 4s 5000 45C, and at first I had my low voltage cut-off

Too low. I was getting about 9 minutes, and I poofed my Hyperions.

So I have been flying them for about 5 - 6 minutes,

and have been working them to their extremes.

I just ordered two Nanotech 4s 2700 mah, 65 - 130C

and I bumped the Low voltage cut-off up to the default voltage.

and I am getting 10 1/2 minutes.

When the Hex lands the LiPos are barely warm.

The net values are

80 grams heavier
400 mah more (5400mah)

And drawing off of 8 cells instead of 4 cells
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:30 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2010
150 Posts
a question to all of the gps experts.. I have installed the gps on my 550mm quad with 1047 props and 750kv motors on 3s battery and i have an intermitten problem.

with gps lock on, the quad will drift at a rate of about 6 inches per second. at first i thought well it will stop and settle but it drifted a full 15 ft before i pulled it back. I have full green gps lock and i recalibrated the magnotometer successfully.. 20% of the time it will stay where i put it and hold steady but usually it just keeps drifting away slowly but at a steady rate.

So during the same flight after all of the drift, i thought that maybe its current point isnt reading correctly and just to see what would happen, i enabled RTH and it came back and landed 1ft from the take off point!. So it knows exactly where its at, it just does not want to do a position hold..

On another occasion there was a breeze that would get up to 5mph gusts and it would alway drift in the direction of the wind...like its over correcting...

I have redone the imu calibration, transmitter calibration(all inputs show centered)..it still has the issue...Not sure what else to try..am i just missing something?

and i am waiting for the 10 green blinks before initial takeoff...

gain values are in the 175% range and vertical is at 110%

Please help, I am racking my brain over this one....
danielnc06 is online now Find More Posts by danielnc06
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:57 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,391 Posts
calibrating magnetometer:

Unplug any FPV gear, and remove antennas

remove cell phone from your pocket,

and don't calibrate magnetometer under power lines.

That may help.

Also, you can go into the assistant, and see if you are getting any glitching

with your transmitter calibration page.

if your needles get a little glitching, then you can try lowering pitch and roll gain about 10%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielnc06 View Post
a question to all of the gps experts.. I have installed the gps on my 550mm quad with 1047 props and 750kv motors on 3s battery and i have an intermitten problem.

with gps lock on, the quad will drift at a rate of about 6 inches per second. at first i thought well it will stop and settle but it drifted a full 15 ft before i pulled it back. I have full green gps lock and i recalibrated the magnotometer successfully.. 20% of the time it will stay where i put it and hold steady but usually it just keeps drifting away slowly but at a steady rate.

So during the same flight after all of the drift, i thought that maybe its current point isnt reading correctly and just to see what would happen, i enabled RTH and it came back and landed 1ft from the take off point!. So it knows exactly where its at, it just does not want to do a position hold..

On another occasion there was a breeze that would get up to 5mph gusts and it would alway drift in the direction of the wind...like its over correcting...

I have redone the imu calibration, transmitter calibration(all inputs show centered)..it still has the issue...Not sure what else to try..am i just missing something?

and i am waiting for the 10 green blinks before initial takeoff...

gain values are in the 175% range and vertical is at 110%

Please help, I am racking my brain over this one....
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:14 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,993 Posts
10" = 3s, 8" = 4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by labcopilot View Post
Noob question here - I plan on running two 3S 3200mah batteries in parallel on my F450 tomorrow morning. I just weighed it and with FPV gear included the AUW is right at 1360g. Is it better to run 10" props at this weight or am I ok with leaving the 8" props on?
The above is DJI's recommendation.
If your rig is stock DJI, I'd definitely run the 10".
You're well within the 1600g max AUW, but why run small props when you could easily run the larger ones?
The larger ones will probably tax your power system less than the smaller on 3S...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:03 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,899 Posts
Quote:
I used this gimball. It has rubber grommets, but I am going on a quest to find some more pliable rubber.
The grommets that came with it are quite stiff.

I've also got some more things that I am thinking about, but the isolation grommets are first on the list.
I've got the exact same gimbal, the X468 right? When you get success on your quest for nicer video, can you PM me the way you've done it? Cause as you have said the grommets are way too stuff as the GoPro isn't heavy enough to be able to put strain on them. I have tried a whole bunch of different rubber between the gimbal and the camera and this video is the best result I can get.

You can also see at the end how I need to lower the pitch end point as it pitches too high when flying backwards or forward.

Gimbal Vid for Paul low res (0 min 44 sec)
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:17 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
calibrating magnetometer:

Unplug any FPV gear, and remove antennas

remove cell phone from your pocket,

and don't calibrate magnetometer under power lines.

That may help.

Also, you can go into the assistant, and see if you are getting any glitching

with your transmitter calibration page.

if your needles get a little glitching, then you can try lowering pitch and roll gain about 10%.
Will do a test flight in the morning. My transmitter was giving small twitches but still within the green section of the assistant.. lowering the gains didnt seem to help it so I increased my transmitters range from 100% to 150% to hopefully change the resolution some.. then recalibrated and the twitching went away.

One question, this is with a dx7, does anyone know of a way to increase my 50% throttle range or at least make it easier to hit during hovering?. I see no setting for exponential throttle curve option on the dx7.
danielnc06 is online now Find More Posts by danielnc06