HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:26 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
Mine is noisy....but I like it; you can tell it's alive !
Check your motor bearings, I have some noise as well and after a few crashes (yes I crash as well like everyone else!) the motor bearings just get whacked something wicked.

I am replacing the motor on mine from a buddy who donated his T-28 with the new Metal Frontal Bell housing (Stock 480 Brushless)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:31 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcskkrose View Post
Isn't the stock prop 9.5 x 7.5? I am using a 11x7 on 4S.

If you have any prop questions, I suggest if you or anybody has a prop question, PM PittSpecial as he is the prop guru extradenare (sp?) supreme for this airframe. He will guide you.
Well, thanks but, I can not take that gracious title because I have not flown any of my Park Zone models using 4-Cells anything Lithium Polymer and you take the title in that regard.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:24 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,873 Posts
No Carlos,

It's probably just the prop as I replaced the motor about 5 months ago...It's no big deal as I like the sound of the prop biting into the air....

John
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:13 AM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,426 Posts
justwingit, i saw a pic you posted of yourself in full gear. it was cool to put a face to the people we talk to all the time. i guess forums are like that.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:37 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,873 Posts
That was taken about two years ago along the Afghanistan/Pakistan border looking for Taliban fighting positions...frankly, I'd rather be flying my models, it's much easier on the old body !

But, then again, I guess we have to earn the money to buy them, somehow...

Off to run batteries through the Trojan!

John
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:30 AM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Again, your comments are lacking details as to what type of batteries you used in this maiden flight? What was the Discharge rating? Are they new batteries and at what Voltage Top-Off did they charge to?

I personally do not trust any specifications from Hobby King / Hobby City and for serious Speeds I go with the expensive motors with high quality magnets and bearings. Now, I did experiment with a QUANNUM 36-55 which at the time was a Hobby King motor with 1350Kv and it was just fantastic and unfortunately they are no long available. The motor was not cheap from any motors you see up at their web site today but, it was worth every penny.

I can not say what your next move / recommendations might be since a few details are missing from your end.
Motor:Turnigy 3536-1200kV
Prop: Aerodrive-E 9x6
ESC: Castle Ice 50A
Battery: Zippy Flightmax 1800mAh 3S 40C
Static Test at full throttle gave 24Amp 240watt ~1000gr thrust

For the maiden, I replaced the Caslte ESC with a 40Amp one

I dont trust hobbyking specs either. I only use the specs as a rough approximation of what to expect...
Anyway, I have at hand an APC 10x7. That's what I ll give a try next time.
dk31 is offline Find More Posts by dk31
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:55 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,442 Posts
Just Wonderful conditions in the morning and all the way til early afternoon here in Central Florida! I put two (2) Batteries through my 4+ year old Airforce T-28D Trojan and it was delightful to watch it touch and go at our nice smooth concrete (High School Band Practice) surface.

Bright BLUE Sky and no wind and later a strong hot Sun beating down on you to get warm quickly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:06 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,882 Posts
i wish man.. i wishhhhh. i can only wish for a weather like that tomorrow
BlinkguY is offline Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:05 PM
United States, TN, Gray
Joined Nov 2010
156 Posts
I flew my trojan in calm shirt sleeve weather this past Tuesday, flew it lower inverted than I'd dared before (still 20' up tho!). Totally amazing weather that day. Now it's back to snowing with talk of black ice, so it's heli fixing time for me....
jumna is offline Find More Posts by jumna
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:10 PM
United States, GA, Dacula
Joined Feb 2011
26 Posts
New owner and was able to maiden her today... weather was a cool 47 with 8-10mph winds and overcast. No one really fly's this field in the winter cause it's very rough cut, so no runway. You kinda take your chances on both the take offs and especially landings. It's easy to get a wheel caught. In the spring we'll mow a nice area.

Anyway I setup my DX8 on low rates and had three successful 6min flights on stock batteries, with almost no issues. On my first landing, I should have given it a little more power as it touched down, cause just as it was coming to stop it nosed over, but no damage at all. The other two landings were perfect!

The plane flew very well with little trim adjustment. Just simple pattern flight, a few slow and fast flyby's, a few loops, and one almost catastrophic roll. Next time, I'll try high rates! This is definitely my new favorite plane!

Edit and Question: When I said stock batteries, I should have said 2200mah 30c from hobbyking... i've got 8. I had a hard time getting the canopy on because of the battery size, and used a rubber band that really didn't work all that well. Are people just cutting some of the foam for a better fit? Also, should I be using a different prop, or could I use a different prop and what would be the advantage? Thanks in advance for any replies.
dacula is offline Find More Posts by dacula
Last edited by dacula; Feb 03, 2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:02 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,873 Posts
And another believer joins the flock...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:05 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,882 Posts
you can bet on it! man, i got 10 gens ace lipos man and im dying to test them (2200mah 25C) tomorrow will be very cold !! DAMM
BlinkguY is offline Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:25 PM
Joined Feb 2013
58 Posts
Hello T-28ers! This is my first post so I thought I'd include a picture. Blue Rocket was created from the electrical component remains of Red Rocket after a mid air collision. She's my favorite of my collection.
TrojanMan is offline Find More Posts by TrojanMan
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:40 PM
build, fly, crash...repeat
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunworksco View Post
There is a neat trick that can be done to keep the nose wheel from buckling under. Carve an 1/8" or so groove behind the nose wheel strut, in the underbelly of the fuselage and epoxy or hot glue an 1/8" x 3" carbon fiber tube.
This really adds rigidity to the strut.
Regards,
Giovanni
any pictures of this mod? My local grass field finally got the best of my nose gear!
marksp is offline Find More Posts by marksp
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:05 PM
build, fly, crash...repeat
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwilson View Post
I just put a O.S. 15 size 1000kv brushless in one of my T-28's. It was an exact fit to the stock mount and was the exact length using a parkzone P-47 prop adapter for the 5mm shaft.
Static test showed 300 watts on a 3S 3200mAh battery - stock motor was 200 watts, both were on the stock 9.5 x 7.5 stock prop. Went with a Turnigy Superbrain 60 amp ESC.
I'll give some feedback on the flight test as soon as weather permits. I think I'll try a parkzone Extra 300 prop on it as well.
Anyone else ever tried one of these O.S. motors?
Curious how this motor worked out? I happen to have a OMA-3815-1000 from a recent trip to Tokyo and was thinking about swapping out my stocker. Cheers
marksp is offline Find More Posts by marksp